Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
We now have Gialos studios added here. Is anyone able to give it its first review? :D
hi

both gialos and nirvana studios in georgi are excellent places to stay. i have stayed in the nirvana 3 times and gialos once. i have been going to georgi since 1988 and wouldnt go anywhere else. the whole village is friendly and its like going back to family every year. if you get chance to go do it
this is the only thing we've found about the apartments on the internet except what's in the kosmar brouchure!
we're going to the giaols apts in August and are very excited.
Whereabouts are they in the village? are they really only a few metres from the beach? and how far from tavernas? and the sqaure? we've got young kids and are wondering how far we're going to expect them to walk!
also, are the apts quiet at night?

many thanks :)
yes gialos/nirvana are literally 20m from beach. there is a public pool straight facing the rooms. centre of the village is a short walk approx 3/4 mins away. the kids will love it and believe me you will be booking again for next year. people are so friendly. MAKE A NOTE OF THIS - if you pay for the umbrellas/chairs by the pool you only should be paying for the adults chair (make sure you say others are for children as they wont offer this). this offer was still on last year so presume it is still going this year. also you get a free drink for each chair that you pay for. you just take your receipt to the poolbar and swap either for fresh orange juice or beer. if you are an early riser clock what time the sun rises and make that effort to get up earlier one morning and go and watch it rise. there are a few steps on the beach side of the pool, between the taverna and bar. sit there and watch the absolutely glorious sunrise coming up over the horizon over the sea - SPECTACULAR!!! Taverna Mythos on village square (straight up the road from gialos and last on right) is highly recommended to eat. maybe pay slightly more but well worth it - try the tuna salad - ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!
It all sounds great, can you tell us what the beach is like?

Are there sunbeds? is it sandy?

Thanks

Ju :)
Hi - there are plenty sunbeds to go at. if you pay for the sunbeds on the pool this also means that you have access to the sunbeds on the beach directly in front of the swimming pool as they belong to 'eden' that have the pool. just keep your receipts and you can swap and change. sunbeds go right to end of the sand. they have over the years reclaimed some of the beach by way of putting in a proper walkway at the side of the road so leaving the beach at about 40' from walkway to sea but this does not detract from the beauty. the sand is lovely although the sea does wash up the occasional stone (some are hidden just below sand level in the first few feet of sea (mind your toes!!!) also there are sholes of fish that swim right up to the sea edge but try and catch them - no chance. if you need any more info let me know. i first stayed in georgiouplis in 1988 and have been going ever since and have only ever missed a couple of years with birth of kids. kids love going because everyone there have seen them growing up and its like going back home to family. hope fully you will feel the same when you have been...
Can you tell me roughly how big this public pool is (are there any photos of it on the net at all? ) and how much is the sunbed hire by the pool.

Thanks.
hi - dont think there are any pics of pool on the internet but if you want to email me direct i have some of my own (*** personal info removed for security reasons*** wizard**). the sunbeds are 5euros (this is for two sunbeds - umberalla is free - if sunbeds are for children tell them because they shouldnt charge for these). when you pay your 5euros you get a receipt which can be exchanged for a beer or fresh orange at the poolside bar - one drink for each sunbed paid for

hope this helps
Hi Janet,

Thanks for that.
I don't seem to be able to pm you for some reason...not sure if you can pm me and i'll pass on my email address?
hi - the site has blocked my email address - try www martonmere. org. uk - 3 bed caravans - 99 buckingham
Hi, We are staying at the giallos studio's this year. We have been to georgioupolis befre, but not stayed there. You will love it.
If you have not already gone, try out Sinatra's Bar just off the square. Our Niece works there and is very friendly. (She's British) They do a full english breakfast and are the only place in georgioupolis that do black pudding! ha ha
We are going on Sept 2nd and are going to surprise her, so if by any chance you go in, don't mention this post. Her Mum is going too (My husbands sister). She knows her mum is going but not us!
There are a few trips you can go on on (the little train) it stops right near the beach and you book it in the hotel there.
One of the trips is to lake kouros, not very far. there are a couple of tavernas there and you can swim there too. Not sure when you are going, but have a great time :cheers
We've just come back from Georgioupoilis and we're looking to book for next year. We've been before as my in-laws live out in Crete and Georgioupolis is reasonably close.

What I want to know is exactly whereabouts are the Gialos appartments. From what I've read I understand that they are opposite the Edem Park Pool. From the description in the Kosmar brochure it says that one of the rooms is above a Taverna, I'm wondering if this is Georgies Taverna?

I also wanted to find out what the rooms are like?

We had a fantastic holiday this year and love the resort, the beach is beautiful and its well worth a return visit.

Any help would be appreciated. x
Hi Keely, we are off tommorrow (2nd Sept) Can't wait!!!!!
We havent stopped at the gialos studio's before, but my sister in law has who's daughter lives in the resort. She said they are nice. They are next to the Tarra Taverna & apartments. Yes they are almost facing the Edam pool, I believe there are two ways out one way takes you almost on the beach and the other way is nearer to the square. The Taverna you mentioned belongs to them. We are going with kosmar and they are in the kosmar book, but can't find any sites that show any pictures of the rooms.
If you know where the sunlight Taverna and rooms is right on the beach, they are right near it.
We only went for one week last time we went, so didn't get much sightseeing done. but this year we are going for two, so we are going to hire a car for a few days and see some of the other places that look nice.
The main one I want to go to is elafonisi beach, it looks beautiful.
Also Knossos to see the minoan palace, Bali and Loutra
Do you have google earth? If you go on that and type in the names of some places, you will get lots of little phots you can click on that people have taken of the resorts.
If you manage to get on it, type in Georgioupoli and you can zoom in th the square.
Gialos Studio's are in the block between the square and the beach, the end one at the beach end.
Hope that's of some help. You have probably passed it without knowing. it is like a narrow alleyway with a white building on one side and a yellow one on the other, all the balconies are full of flowers.
regards
Linda :cheers
We very nearly booked this holiday with Kosmar....very glad we didn't now!
I think we'll have to wait a while until all the XL stuff dies down and prices stabilise, before we book next years' holiday.

Hope anyone who has booked with XL/Kosmar gets their money back.
Just got back from our holiday in Georgioupolis!!!!!!!
Luckily they managed to get us out on the day schedualed, but the flight was a little later.
I have nothing but praise for the Kosmar staff, after Kosmar/XL went bust on the 12th they stayed and helped us all get home, even though they were not getting paid and in some cases no apartment to live in. There were hugs, tears and cheers all round on the coaches and at the airport. They kept us informed every step of the way, with daily newsletters.
In all we had a great holiday. A little hot for us in September (46 degrees) they said it is not usually that hot September. The Gialos Studios are very nice and very clean. They are also in a great position, right near the beach and the square. The mossies were a pest as usual and although we took about four different types of formula, were still bitten. My husband was bitten really badly (about 30 bites on one leg on the first night) I think he must have a bad reaction to the bites, and so had to go in antihistamine tablets.
Hi

Does anyone know how we can book to go to Gialos again next year, now that Kosmar's out of business?
We loved it so much, we're so desperate to go back!

Thanks!

Julia
They are lovely! Ideal location. Some don't have a balcony, which is a bit of a shame. But otherwise perfect. Clean, spacious, quiet. We want to go back for a second year in a row, but I don't know how to book them now that Kosmar are bust!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.