Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Nicola,

Have you read the reports on the Globus in the Review section?

Baldur
we have checked other reviews but alot of them are bad. mainly about the food. we have exprienced this problem before when we went to benidorm last year and dont want this to happen again as it really spoilt our holiday.
Food & drink are so cheap and of much better quality in the many restaurants in the resorts, that I would never book anything more than B&B at a Bulgarian hotel and certainly wouldn't let it put me off my holiday.

Baldur.
Looking through the reviews - location and cleanliness come up top. However, the food is a definite no-no. I don't know what to advise here. Looks like you would be eating a lot out of the hotel but food is very cheap. Can you budget for this?
we are going half board as there was no option to go self catering do you recommend any nice restaurants we can go to? also is they any english bars there. We have seen the red lion but unsure whether it english or not.
we were only going to take 850 pound spending money do you think that will be enough for the 2 weeks if we did have to eat out?
Hi Nicola

I went to Sunny Beach in May two years ago,the weather can be a little indifferent,one day sunny and warm and the next day wet,but overall it wasnt too bad(came back with a tan).I also found it to be quiet at that time of year,the locals said the summer season doesnt start till around the first week in June,but most of the restaurants where open.You'll also find that 850pounds is more than enough money even if you need to eat out on a night.

Basil
Hi Nicola,

Example prices, from a restaurant in Sunny Beach (just out of the main resort area) from last year:

small draught beer 0.75 Leva; salads 1.40 Leva; soups 0.90 Leva; fish dishes 1.80 Leva; specialities 7.80 Leva; big BBQ-shashlik 5.80 Leva; grilled chicken 2.90 Leva; pizza 3.50 Leva.

The average set menu (starter, main course & sweet) was 5 - 10 Leva

1 Lev = approximately 36pence at the moment

Baldur
Hi

I really dont know what to do now. We have contacted our travel agent and they said they might change us to a different hotel. Im really really nervous and dreading this holiday to be honest now. Is it really that bad in May. Everyone seems to be saying that most things will be closed :cry: . will it be as bad as i think? I know that it is really cheap but i would rather go somewhere that we will enjoy!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hi Nicola,

Don't worry! I've just been looking at the Hotel Globus reviews, and some of them are quite good.

In relation to food, quite honestly I've known people complain about food which was actually very good - it's a matter of what your expectations are, or perhaps how faddy!

In May we've known it almost too hot at times, can't remember being cold except at the other end of the season in October.

Sunny Beach is a large resort, and although not in full swing there should be plenty of places open. There's also a lot to do, such as visiting Nessebur, and the nearby town of Bourgas where real Bulgarians live and work and shop.

You can also try a couple of excursions which are reasonably priced and sometimes good for a laugh.

Overall go determined to enjoy it, and I'm sure you will.

Peter
thanks peter

really appreciate it!! I think im just really worried because its a place i have never been before so i dont know what to expect. Just thinking the worst.

:roll:
Hi,

I have been to Bulgaria 3 times and having justed turned 19, i can tell you if its a couple's holiday your after you'll love the place.

Can i ask who you have booked with?

Kyle
balkan holidays which we have been told are alload of rubbish. goin with my partner we are both 22 and would like to know about the night life clubs and pubs there we would enjoy

thanks.
I have travelled with Balkan 2 times and i don't find them that good to tell you the truth. The planes are very old but i do know they've started flying more upto date one's. You will get a bread meal onboard the plane which is also not very good.

I would recommend you ring them and advice strongly that you are downgraded to B&B (and your price difference back) as you are finding the hotel change very inconvient and if they refuse tell them you want a full refund.

In Sunny Beach there are now a few night clubs been built, which girls get in for free and the lads have to pay about a pound. Drinks can be a little more expensive in night clubs but bloody cheap still.

You can often find lively places down the walk way on the beach front but it could be quite in May and not everywhere open.

I would try and get B&B for at least the end of June.
We've been travelling with Balkan for 17 years and only had cause to complain once.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can 'downgrade' a half board hotel to B & B. The travel companies negotiate a half board price with the hotels and sell the half board packages to us - end of story.

I agree that with so many restaurants about B & B would be preferable, but from what I have learned speaking to people, it's the hotels that are insisting upon the travel companies buying half board. The restaurant owners complain about it but can do nothing.

By the way, the worst inflight meals we ever had were on scheduled Swissair, made Balkan Air's offering appear cordon bleu.

Peter
By the way, the worst inflight meals we ever had were on scheduled Swissair, made Balkan Air's offering appear cordon bleu.

Agreed Peter, Balkan Holidays Airline's meals are basic but adequate and are similar to those offered by the scheduled airline Bulgaria Air (see 2nd photo down on this page).

They are also included in Balkan's basic price, rather than as an additional cost option, unlike many other tour operators these days.
Good Morning Baldur and Peter, I have had and 15 return flights with Balkan and the meal you descibe is what I have had each time. when I hear what others are paying for what they get I am truly thankful for what I get, as regards to the aircraft, given the financial position of the airlines it would be impossible to renew all aircraft at once. In my time of flying with them they have changed name four times, no doubt Peter and Baldur will be able to quote more. Tonyt.
HI all good morning.

We have been travelling to Bulgaria for the past 17 years and although Balkans planes are not the newest they have some of the best pilots never had a bad flight, ok the meal is not the best but what do you want pheasant under glass, and steaks with a nice bottle of chardonay. , the planes are beung updated as costs allow and sometimes you can even get an inside toilet. relax the flight is only part of the holiday the globus is a good hotel and the restraunt is a nice place to try a meal if you dont like it so what there are many more restraunts to try . dobre doshli as they say in Bulgaria (Welcome)
hi
we stayed at globus last year, it was fantastic, its right next to the beach the rooms were lovely had no complaints there, the cleaners did a brillant job everyday , we know as we had a little un with us who made a lot of mess. :) we had no complaint s at all with hotel , the food is lovely . you have to remember that some english people are hard to please and like to complain alot, your quite young so you will enjoy it as all the beach bars are great on the front of globus.they have happy hour from 7 till 7 the bar is open 24 hours inside the hotel. so forget reading the reviews and start looking forward to the hols
zoe x :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.