Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
goa to bangkok
6 Posts
Hi carol
hope you like the new forum! For a start look at the sticky on Thailand with loads of info. I won't merge this to there as you are also asking visa questions.
I am not too sure what you would be looking to spending. Perhaps a rough guide for a hotel daily price? 5 star hotels in Bangkok come in at ridiculously low prices( for that standard) and they are high quality. The one I am returning to is the Landmark. I think it is 4 star. I loved the positiion of it as it in amongst some great restaurants and also right next to the skytrain which is the best method of getting around.
here is their website.
This is a site which is popular for booking hotels and gives a lot of info.
Places to visit- some of my favourites
Grand Palace- out of this world! Be sure to be wearing suitable clothing eg cover your knees and shoulders and wear sandals which have a back to them
Wat Arun
Chatachuk market at the weekend- you may not buy anything but it is fascinating!
Jim Thomsons House- he was a silk manufacturer and his house is an oasis in the middle of the bedlam that is Bangkok. He disappeared in mysterious circumstances.
River- take a river bus. great experience!
A trip to the River Kwai- you visit the Jeath POW camp( reconstructed on the same site)- very moving as is the Cemetary- I defy anyone visiting the cemetary not to shed a few tears when you read the messages on the gravestones. You get to walk along the Bridge- have to say it is not for the faint hearted! Finally you take a journey on the train over the bridge and through some stunning scenery.
Ayuthaya is another interesting trip out of Bangkok. It was the ancient capital.
I will go and find my post about restaurants. Thai food is brilliant! I wouldn't know where to begin.
Hope this gives you a start. I 'm sure others will add to it!
copied from a previous post of mine-
There are many great restaurants on or just off of Sukhumvit Road( we stayed at the Landmark there the first time we went)
Cabbages and Condoms - famous restaurant. All profits go to family planning and HIV projects. The food is superb.Soi 12 The wall decorations are rather unusual!

Bhan Khannita. Also off of Sukhumvit( Soi 23) Many locals go there.

Lemongrass -Soi 24 Sukhumvit Rd. It is actually an old Thai house. Wonderful atmosphere and the lemongrass chicken is lovely. One of our best meals.

Harmonique_ Soi 34 on the Riverside. Near to the Oriental if I remember correctly. Unique setting. We tried pomello salad after it had been raved about on another site and it was something else( I didn't even know what a pomello was beforehand!) The great thing about eating in Bangkok is you can try things out and if you don't like them it hasn't cost you much anyway!
Hi again Fiona,

I could'nt get in to HT for the last few days for some reason.......???

Many, many thanks for your info. You have given me a focus on an otherwise tired mind full of info. What you are recommending sounds just what I am looking for. :D thanks.

I am looking up the prospect of staying in serviced apartments though, nice hotel prices a bit too high for me.

looking forward to it and will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Carol
Serviced apartments are the way many people go. Unfortunately I can't recommend any but maybe someone else can?
Plenty of serviced apartments in Bangkok. We stayed in Meritus State Towers...regarded as 5star serviced apartments...paid 45USD a night but that was during their soft opening period so they may be a bit more now. Huge tower overlooking river, Shangri-La, Oriental and Peninsula hotels. Great views of Bangkok from the balconies and the open air roof top restaurant.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.