Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Mick,

Glad you found this forum, there is lots of information to browse through :)

I would say dont bother going all inclusive in Goa, this is because it is cheap to eat out at restaurants and beach shacks, and there is lots of different food to try.

If you want to go all inclusive because your scared about getting food poisoning, then do not worry, most places are clean, so no problems there.
Also, eating and drinking plays a big part of my holiday to Goa, so this is why we always go bed and breakfast.

What sort of hotel are you after staying in? a 5star, or something basic like a 3star?

Also, do you prefer a quiet and peaceful holiday, or are you happy with the busy atmosphere?

Im sure you are aware there is south and north goa, north tends to be very busy, but i think thats part of the fun.

As for tour operators, id recommend thomas cook. They seem to have good deals on quite a few hotels.

It would be useful if you could tell us a bit more about what your looking for in a holiday, then we can point you in the right direction.

Nicola
I agree that all inclusive is not the best option for Goa. If you do go AI the Santiago at Baga is hard to beat.
Thanks Nicola for the information so far. As for what we want out of the holiday. There would be different idea's between myself and my daughter Emma. She would like something more adventurous like perhaps going on a Elephant ride, water activities, shopping like all girls of her age likes to do. Oh and some time to sunbath as well. I just want to relax, but am up for a few excursions as well as maybe getting to see some of the sights. I am a keen photographer so anything with that in mind would be fine.

Mick
We have some keen photographers in the forum- you will find loads of photo opporunities. :)
Welcome to the Goa forum. Your daughter might prefer to be in the busier north but have a look around the forum as you will really pick up a feel for the place. I'll add a couple of links when I find them which should also be useful
The only bit of advice I would like to give is, as you have been to Cyprus, the 3* hotels in Cyprus are the equivelent of the 5* plus in Goa. Hotels and B&Bs are very basic, there are usually only the beds, a small wardrobe/cum/chest of drawers, and very basic shower facilities, in Goa. No pavements, (only in the posh shopping areas do you find pavements) but don't let that put you off.

Cyprus have been in the tourist trade for many, many years, and have learnt how to build there hotels to attract the tourists, Goa even now is still learning, Goa still thinks that all tourists are backpackers, willing to accept hostel accomodation.

Don't bother packing all your expensive gear, high heels, and cocktail dresses. Goa is casual, and unless you have a couple of bottles of bleach with you in your luggage, don't wear white, because every thing gets covered in red dust. Flip flops are every day/night wear, and a good bit of advice is, in practically every toilet you visit there is usually a water tap with a shower attachment, this is very useful for washing your feet, after you have reached your destination, be it a nightclub, restuarant, or basic shack. ( I think they are meant for washing your bum)

And carry a torch, there is nothing worse than treading in cow dung on your way home, after a few bevies.

If you can leave your luxury hotels, Goa is fantastic, the hotels don't make Goa the people do.
Iv'e got to disagree with the last post , regarding accommodation, it isn't all backpacker and basic 3*, there are some real 5* and a lot of new boutique and unusual small hotels. But sadly a lot of the so called 3* hotels used by the TO's are more like 2*. If you look around there is something for every pocket.
Also seen lot's of people "dressed up" in the evenings.

x lassi
Hi Upinsmoke - I don't want to repeat the excellent advice already given so just have a good look around the site.

I do think there are two points that are worth stressing though - firstly, hotel standards are generally not up to European standards so manage your expectations downwards. If you get somewhere great, you'll be pleasantly surprised, if not, you're prepared for basic levels of accommodation.

Secondly, I would strongly advise against All Inclusive. Eating out (for very little money) in different restaurants is a big part of a Goan holiday and you'll miss a lot by staying in the same hotel to eat.

You know your daughter better than us, but I would think there's more to occupy her in North Goa than South.

Hope you find some useful information and just come back with any unresolved questions. Enjoy Goa!! :tup
Hi upinsmoke, welcome to the forum!! :) I am sure you will love Goa (and your daughter) as there really is something for everyone IMO, and lots of good advice on here as you can see from all us Goa lovers who just cant stay away from the place! :D and you might enjoy coming to one of the 'meets' when we get it organised :think to meet everyone from this forum ;)
chilly
Hi upinsmoke

You should base yourself in Candolim there are lots of good restaurants and bars there but not as noisy as Calangute/Baga as people say there are 3* hotels but they are basic ( most of them ) but there again how much time do you spend in your room. Do not go all inclusive the people are freindly and it is very safe to walk around especially in Candolim. Why not do flight only? and look on the websites for a room or an apartment.I am sure what ever you do you will love Goa.

Mike
Hi upinsmoke,

I really think the other posters are missing something really important to tell you.It is vital that you should know this and could have an impact on the way you holiday in future.It is a very important warning.

Beware of the Goa bug.Once bitten addiction follows soon after.Symptons include browsing this forum for hour after hour just to get your fix.Also hour after hour scouring the internet looking for the best deal.Looking at the time off you have trying to figure out if you can swing another couple of weeks in.

Depression sets in soon after you return and the only way to cure it is to book another holiday to Goa.

Your first time will almost certainly not be your last.

Welcome to the forum.

Papa
Papa, how true :rofl , you are describing me to a tee. This morning I missed a travel programme on Sky which was for Goa & the Maldives. I have found it on the Sky website and sat watching it at my desk at work without sound. It was great lots of video showing Goa, and even Ingos market, definately had my Goa fix today, but might just have to see if I can save the video :cheers
Just read Pappa's reply and yes he is dead right!!!! :tup We first went to Goa in November 06 and everything that we had read on these web pages were absolutely true! From the prices of the food and drink, the rooms, beach shacks the scenery and most of all....the people!!! We went back last November and had the most amazing welcome from the people in the beach shacks where we ate, the taxi driver Prakash, lovely guy, yes they remember you because you are someone who gave them a wage the year before, and why not? We have booked once more for this November, (cant wait, 100 plus sleeps) to walk along a massive beach with no crowds, just dodging the odd cricket ball hit to you by some of the locals while the beach shack is quiet. To see that Goan sun set whilst sitting on the beach drinking a Honeybee/coke and an odd Kingfisher or two. Yes, once you venture to Goa you must return, because the laid back charm and fun of the people is too good to miss. :)
I really think the other posters are missing something really important to tell you.It is vital that you should know this and could have an impact on the way you holiday in future.It is a very important warning.

Beware of the Goa bug.Once bitten addiction follows soon after.Symptons include browsing this forum for hour after hour just to get your fix.Also hour after hour scouring the internet looking for the best deal.Looking at the time off you have trying to figure out if you can swing another couple of weeks in.

:rofl so true ... should have mentioned that little detail!! :D
chilly
Hi Mick, As you can see we on here are pretty passionate about Goa and all things Goan. On the whole we have a love/hate relationship with the place. We all love different things and we all hate other different things that occur there. You MUST go to Goa with an open mind and give yourself a few days to adjust. Goa isn't for everyone however, if after a few days of acclimatizing you haven't fallen in love with the place, its culture and its people I will promise to eat my hat ;)

As others have said North is best if your daughter wants "a little more action", North is vibrant, eclectic, totally overwhelming to the senses. Certainly a lot more to do/see than the South. If you just want peace, quiet and a more relaxing environment, go South. Whichever you choose, you will still return home feeling chilled to the core (and find it difficult to get back into your normal routine). :tup

Tips: Do make sure you have a torch on your person at night.
Don't hire a bike unless you are very brave (or IMO have a death wish) anyway your insurance won't cover you. The roads/traffic/drivers out there are MAD!
Do learn to haggle very quickly! Offer about a third of the price they want and work up from there. They won't sell it to you unless they are making a profit - walk away they will soon follow you if they want your dosh!
Don't take toiletries, they weigh too much, buy them there.
Do buy Odomos (mosquito cream)
Drink bottled water ONLY
Do take some antibacterial gel with you (or wet wipes) as very handy.
Don't go all inclusive, too many good eateries/shacks to try. (see restaurant guide on HT for recommendations)
Don't be afraid to ask for a different room if you are not happy with the one you are offered (they will change it if they can)
Do enjoy yourselves and explore as much as possible as its a long way to go just to sit on the beach/or by the pool.

Have a Great time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.