Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Gocek ?
20 Posts
Hi, only went for a day trip by Dolmus from Fethiye, but liked the place, as you said , quite small, not a place for families with kids to entertain. There were some impressive boats in the marina, they are still in the process of finishing a very smart holiday complex at the far end away from town, with mini canals and bridges etc, I imagine that to stay there would be very expensive, if peaceful. Hope this helps some.
Gocek is a lovely place, quite small and no night life to speak of. Saying that I've stayed there twice now and I love it. Yes it has a fancy marina, but it also has public jettys with gulets sailing in and out every day. There are no beaches to speak of but I believe you can get a little boat which will ferry you to beautiful small bays. Other than that you need to pick a hotel with a pool. There is one called Villa Dan Lin and another called Mr Dim. Both small simple hotels but I'm told very good. The hotel I stayed at was the Swiss Hotel and it is part of the Raffles Group. Absolutely brilliant rooms, small pool and private sandy beach area. Not stuffy at all, just brilliant service. I don't find the place expensive at all. You choose where you want to eat and there are places to suit all pockets. You can eat in the local "cantina" where all the locals eat or you can choose a harbour front bar and although everyone says prices are going up in Turkey, I feel you still don't pay as much as you would in the UK. I love Gocek and will go back again. It's a quiet resort which is probably best only for a one week relaxing holiday. While there, if you are inclined, you can catch the Dolmus (local bus) into Fethiye and from there can get to many places. Companies like Blue Cruise in London do these hotels though they aren't necessarily in their brochures. I think Thomas Cook were about to use Villa Dan Lin last time I looked. Swiss Hotel is approx £625 for a one week B & B.
Thanks for the replies/info.

I do have my eye on a small (recommended) hotel and might just take a chance on Gocek. :tup

Our plan is for 1 week in late May 09.

I presume there are a couple of small bars in a village of this size? as well as the abundance of restaurants.....
Didn't have time to check out bars, but we did see a few restaurants, cannot comment on the quality either, seemed a nice place , not too touristy as in Olu Deniz, much smaller too, I guess you will have to take a chance unless anyone can post you further info.
Yes, spot on, plenty of bars to drink at from harbour front to local places on the back road plus the restaurants will alway serve you with just drinks.
Shelagh

Thanks for that. Decision nearly made, just need to convince the wife now ;)

Iain
I travelled down to Gocek last year on business and couldn't get over how beautiful the place was. It's literally one street but as already said, there are plenty of restaurants to choose from. There are around 6 or 7 islands in Gocek Bay which you can visit on boat trips. I definitely want to go back for a longer visit.
There are actually 12 islands in Gocek bay. Most uninhabited but beautiful nontheless.

It's an idyllic way to spend a couple of days on a boat cruising around. You can spend a week in Gocek then a week on a gulet or vice versa.
Only just seen this thread - we haven't been to Turkey for four years so don't check this board regulary.

However I have to say that we have spent three wonderful holidays in Gocek in 2001-03. It is probably our favourite place in Turkey - absolutely stunningly beautiful and although it does undoubtedly lack nightlife there is never a shortage of things to do if you use your imagination.

Go for it.
Hello All

I have booked a Villa in Gocek for 2 wks in July this year. As we will be self catering could someone tell me if there are any large supermarkets in the area? It will be our first visit to Turkey and we are really looking forward to it.

Thanks

Dobbie
There are 5 supermarkets in Gocek; Migros, Tansas, Carrefour, Día and BIM, as well as lots of local stores.
In my opinion you couldn't have picked a better place for a first holiday in Turkey. Be sure to catch the dolmus and go into Fethiye to take a look at the harbour and the bazaar. Also from there you can "do it yourself" via the dolmus services to get to loads on places to visit. Hisaronu, Olu Deniz, also a fab place is the Sakklikent gorge which is a wonderful day out. If you don't fancy going it alone, try one of the trip operators in and around Gocek. They will all be much, much cheaper than with a tour company.

Hope you have a brilliant time.
Thanks Folks

We will be arriving in the resort around 7.30 - 8.00pm delays permitting, will there be a supermarket open that late?

Dobbie
Certainly, they will be open until around 10.00 pm at least.
Thanks Shelagh, you've been most helpful.

I remember going to Kos a few years ago and our flight was delayed for 5 hours. I was so tired and stressed when we arrived at the hotel at 3am and by the time we had booked in, it was 4pm :cry . I had ordered a "Welcome Pack" but we forgot all about it until we got back home. I'd had to send one of the kids to the hotel shop to get stuff for breakfast!

We try to book Villa holidays these days cos we holiday with extended family and sometimes friends and it works out cheaper that way - with the added bonus that self catering gives us more freedom to come and go as we please and cater for the fussy eaters in our party! (and they're not the kids believe it or not! :rofl )

I hope you all have a lovely holiday this year, wherever everyone is going!

Dobbie
Even if you get delayed, I'm absolutely sure the people there will be very helpful. Turks generally are. They might seem in your face initially if you haven't been before, but let me assure you they are wonderful people.

I've met locals in lots of places in Turkey over the last 15 years, many of whom I'm still in touch with. So don't worry - you won't starve.

When are you going?

It's 14 weeks today for us - and counting.
Hi Shelagh
7 weeks and counting! Can't wait especially the haggling! I sometimes do it here and I got my other half a Hard Drive Camcorder for £120 Brand New!!! He says I'm an embarrassment when I do that but he doesn't complain when it works! I love a bargain and it's great fun here, so it's going to be even better in the place where they expect you to do it. Is it only the market that they haggle? I would be mortified if I upset someone by being cheeky and trying to get something cheaper if they thought me rude! :que

Dobbie
Hi Dobbie

Thought I'd pm you on this as not everyone wants to know bits & bobs.

Haggle for everything other than food & drink. Having said that, we have gone into restaurants and ordered two meals between four of us when we haven't been too hungry but didn't just want a snack. The answer they give is "of course, no problem" which is what you will find everywhere.

As regards haggling, ask the price and then half it and haggle from that point. Have a price in mind that you are prepared to pay. I once wanted a Mulberry handbag which started off at £150. I offered £70 and said that was all the money I had. He didn't want to go that low so I said I would leave it and began to leave the shop. He immediately dropped the price and I got my bag at the price I was prepared to pay for it.
Got to say it scared me a bit on my first visit to Turkey but now I love it. I haggle everywhere. In Egypt recently I was on a trip to the Valley of the Kings and you stop off at the "relics shop". I picked out a nice wall hanging and we started at £65 which was a ridiculous price. Got it for £15 in the end. Again, I said that was all I had.
One note though, if he agrees to your price you are expected to then purchase and its considered rude to walk away at that point. However, if you decide you don't want it, walk away as you probably won't go in the shop again. When walking past shops & restaurants just say "no thank you" if you aren't interested as again it's rude to just ignore them. Have a fab hol.
Gocek is a nice village by the bay. Popular for mosthly yatching. Environment is great. A calm resort. Can be considered like as Datca and Hisaronu. So i advice a holiday there. You should like it there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.