Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
The tunnel is due to be finished April 1st (or is this the Turkish sense of humour) it will make the journey safer but not cut any time off the transfer, especially as it looks like it is going to be a toll tunnel, however, when the new roads and by-pass are finished this is what is going to cut the journey time.

The entrance on the Dalaman side has yet to be cut, the arch forms are ready but still lying there as they have for the last 3 months. but work in progress.
Hi All :)
I was also asking about the tunnel when I was there in May, I was told it would be approx 800 metres long and cut the journey time by about 20 mins.
As for completion dates that's another thing, So don't bank on it being completed for April next year till it happens. :D
:wink: Kev :wink:
Any further news on the progress of this tunnel currently under constuction between Dalaman and Fethyie anyone?
Have read on the calis beach forum and also in the land of lights that there is a delay in the tunnel due to soft ground. However they are apparently awaiting full confirmation of this but it appears as though there may be a delay.
Anyone got any details on the new terminal or even a website or photos?

Also, any further info on the Gocek tunnel?
I was in Dalaman last week, the new terminal is as yet just the shell of the building so its going to be a while before its open although the peopl there are saying it will be open ftor the season start- not impossible but they are going to have to work hard.

The Tunnel doesent seem to have progrssed that much in the last couple of months though its not possible to know whats goiing on inside, they are however preping the approach roads for it so thats progress. But if anyone thinks its going to save twenty minutes your having a laugh as driving over the top only takes 11 minutes.
They have some geological problems in the tunnel, "soft ground". Cannot see it opening very early this year.

It will also be a toll tunnel for a few years. I think we will continue to drive over the top. It should be a lot quieter when the tunnel does eventually open. More time to look ar the view.
Post edited for copyright reasons, as material from other websites may not be reproduced without permission.

The article can be read here:
http://www.fethiyetimes.org.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=479&Itemid=128

David HT Mod
Just got back on Monday..... doesn't look like a week will be enough.... the toll booths are in, but he tunnel looks very narrow!!!
Well.... arrived on 10 July in the afternoon.... straight on to a tunel and had to walk about 150m to get a visa... only 3 Kiosks... by the time we were at eh front, another 2 planes had come in. Lots of passport desks.

Baggage hall is grim, with bags being misloaded onta all carousels, having to run up and down hall to find them. There is a drink kiosk/duty free before you leave. Reps and greeters are still penned in... and you strill have to go slightly downhill to coaches etc.

On return..... many scanners open, but you have tyo lift everything yourself..... departure boards are not clear.... blue writing on a blue background!!! Clear glass ceiling means sun shines in and you get hot. The air conditioning was weak or non existant. Some check in queues are blocked by columns. There is no marked line on the floor, so when you have depositeds your bags, its very hard to get to passport control. Oddly, there is loads of space here. New large duty free shop which was very hot. New design toilets, all of which had at least one flood..... no cleaners to be seen. There is a wooden bridge upstairs between a tabled area and the food hall... Only saw 1 cleaner for the whole upstairs and his cart was overflowing!! The floor is dusty and filthy, no bins and no clear smoking.no smoking areas. The building is a mix of concrete and decking with industrial finish! Deaprture gates are glass boxes with decking seats, x ray machines, shop and toilets. Staff are rude, and its hot. There are aluminium blocks where you can rest your bags when in line, but they are not fixed to the floor! In my opinion, it should not be open! There are no cleaning staff, its hot and dusty. Money needs to be spent on staff and training. A lot of food places have no prices. Eg 2 made up sandwiches cost me 10 lira... the woman in front of me paid in english and was charged £11 sterling for the same! There is A MC D KFC and pizza hut, efes bar and ice cream shop and a couple of bakery places. Its very noisy. There are no other seating areas apart from about 7 green table and chairs outside the food court. A delay would be hell, you need a shower after being in the queue. We stood 90 minutes in our queue... the check in girl didn't have to allocate seats, its all done before hand. Dreadful....... worse than Sharm!
Came back yesterday and tunnel was still closed and were still putting crash barriers up at side of road looks like maybe another week
Came back very early this morning and the tunnel was open, although our driver still went the "pretty" route.
i came back on monday and tunnel was open....YEY!!!!
Hello Superstar
How much time does it save on the journey? from Dalaman to Olu Deniz?
We are travelling with a baby this year and would like to look forward to a quicker journey?

Last year when we saw the tunnel being built it only seemed to cut of a tiny bit.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.