Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Welcome to the forums woden666.

We've only been to Cabanas once and it was a few years ago so I may not be of much help. There's a couple of the bigger supermarkets in Tavira a Lidl and also Pingo Duce.

Here's a website for Tavira http://www.tavirauncovered.com/about-tavira/useful-information.aspx

And one here for Cabanas http://www.cabanasuncovered.com/

We enjoyed our stay in Cabanas, there were some nice restaurants there serving a host of different fish but also meat dishes.

We found driving round the Algarve very easy, just get yourself a guide book and map and take it from there. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Please let us know how you get on. :tup
Many Thanks for the welcome Glynis and for your extremely helpful reply, We'll certainly pass on bits and bobs of good info when we return.
Hi woden666,

I wouldn't bother going to Spain just for the fuel and food shopping. If you hire a car in Faro, do please make sure that you're fully covered for going into Spain. Most companies will say yes you are, within certain distance limits which are usually very vague, but if you press them they usually say you would be responsible for arranging and paying for the car to be brought back over the border into Portugal.

Sorry, I don't know about supermarkets in Tavira. We've only been there for a wander around and to have lunch. It's a lovely old town with attractive river frontage. Cabanas is more of a relaxed beach resort, with bars and cafes.

You're thinking of a Cataplana, usually made with fish/seafood or chicken. Yummy! I love your description of a turbocharged Paella! :rofl

A place to visit off the beaten track is a waterfall called Pego do Inferno. You'll find directions on this link http://www.tavirauncovered.com/Thingstodo/Information/tabid/1309/ItemId/420/Default.aspx.

The western Algarve is more hilly than the east, and the highest places are Foia and Monchique. You could then carry on to the west coast where there are lots of deserted beaches and crashing waves, but it's a long way from Tavira/Cabanas.

I don't know but I would think the beaches in the eastern Algarve are accessible by car, as the land is fairly flat.

Yes, restaurants often put a couvert of cheese, sardine pate, olives and bread in front of you but if you say you don't want it they will take it away. But if you eat one olive, you might be charged!

Cataplana is a local dish and another is Piri-piri chicken. It varies in hotness, and the traditional versions are mostly bone and not much meat. However, it has to be tried!

I'm sure you'll have a great time! :cheers
Ta Roseweb, How could I forget the name of Cataplana! Great stuff, I'm addicted to Piri-Piri Chicken, have been for some time, can't remember where I first had it, the hotter the better, it always tastes delicious in the place from which it originates though.
I've looked up Pego do Inferno and sadly it seems to be closed to the public at the moment due to fires a couple of months ago, looked a really nice place, such a shame.
I'm used to border crossings with car hire companies, France/Spain, Portugal/Spain (Northern bit) USA/Canada. They do try to wriggle out of it don't they? Luckily I've used these before in another location and were ok. Mind you, these days I usually drive my own car through Europe, it's just that this hol was very much a spur of the moment thing. Doing some further look-ups I suppose that I could have got away without paying tolls on the A22 is it? with English plates :) Many Thanks for that info.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.