Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Cabanas/Tavira
23 Posts
Hi,
Cabanas is just a little too far to walk and the main road is not too good for walking. You can get the local bus which takes less than 10 mins or you can take the train from Tavira to Conceicao (1 stop) and walk down to Cabanas (10 mins).
Hope this helps. If you need any more info on this area please ask as I have been going there for a few years and going back there for new year.
Pat
Pat,thanks for reply,I have booked a week at Xmas in what I thought was Tavira but it is in Cabannas.I just want somewhere quiet and unspoilt.The hotel we are staying in is the Golden club apartment,not the best hotel in the area but the Portofina is up a steep hill.This is the 1st year we have been away at Xmas as our family are all going abroad this year.I chose this area as its somewhere I have always wanted to visit and if we can get out and about that will be fine.Can you recommend some nice resturants/bars in the area?We have AI board at the hotel as that was all that was available at this time of the year,but we still like to eat out and meet the locals.Any tips you can give me will be great.When are you going?We are there from 20th-27th.Cheers Jay.
Pat,thanks for reply,I have booked a week at Xmas in what I thought was Tavira but it is in Cabannas.I just want somewhere quiet and unspoilt.The hotel we are staying in is the Golden club apartment,not the best hotel in the area but the Portofina is up a steep hill.This is the 1st year we have been away at Xmas as our family are all going abroad this year.I chose this area as its somewhere I have always wanted to visit and if we can get out and about that will be fine.Can you recommend some nice resturants/bars in the area?We have AI board at the hotel as that was all that was available at this time of the year,but we still like to eat out and meet the locals.Any tips you can give me will be great.When are you going?We are there from 20th-27th.Cheers Jay.
Hi Jay,
We don't arrive until 31st December, so will just miss you. You will not be disappointed if you want total peace and calm and meeting the locals.... this is Cabanas. Do take the bus to Tavira though as it is a beautiful town.
We like the restaurant in Cabanas called O Monteiro. They speak really good English and is a mixture of Brits and Portuguese who eat there. If you walk along the main street (follow the river), you will see the restaurant on the left hand side. We also like the Solmar which does a lovely chicken breast. In between these 2 is the local club (no need to be a member) called CRC. You go upstairs to it and it has the most spectacular views of the coastline. For great toasties try A Roda just along from O Monteiro ( the owner is a Les Dawson lookalike)or Dunas snack bar behind the CRC.
In Tavira, when you come out of the bus station, there is a residencial called Belafria. The people who run that are Portuguese friends of ours and the food is definitely wonderful, traditional and cheap. If you go,mention Patricia from Escocia (they pronounce my name Patreesia).
Anything else just ask, including the lingo as I speak reasonably well (so they tell me!!!!!) :wave
Pat
Pat,Thank you so much for that info.Its just what I wanted and we are looking forward to a really quiet Xmas this year.I am not expecting the weather to be great but it will certainly be better than here.Id be greatfull if you can tell me how to prononce,please,thank you and hello.I will get a phrase book before I go but these 3 words are the most important.The rewiews of the Golden Club are mixed but as long as its clean I dont mind.Would you advise me to book Christmas day lunch in a local resturant or have lunch at the hotel?Also can you advise me on what the driving is like there as I once read Portugese drivers are dangerous!.I would like to hire a car for a few days and visit Seville.Thanks in anticipation!.Jay.
I am not sure about the Christmas dinner thing as I have never been there at that time. I know that for the "bells" (when we arrive) there have been a few places that celebrate with food (and drink) and stay open later. Once you are there, you will have time to check it out and see what is happening. It might be better in the "Golden". That was the first place we ever stayed in Cabanas and went there 2 years in a row before we started renting an apartment. The facilities there are very good but don't know whether it will be warm enough to sit around the pool. We were there in January last year and it was quite warm (compared to UK).
As for a phrase book, if you can get hold of the AA pocket phrase book (about £4 when I bought it) it is very good as it gives you phrases and the pronounciation. Anyway,here are a few basics:-
Hello - ola
Good morning - bom dia
Good afternoon - boa tarde (until daylight is fading)
Good evening - boa noite pronounced noyte
Please - faz favor pronounced fash
Thank you - obrigado (if you are a man) obrigada (if you are a woman)
Beer - uma cerveza pronounced serveysha but a pint is - uma caneca
White Wine - vinho branco pronounced vinyo
Red wine - vinho tinto
Still water - agua sem gas pronounced gash
Fizzy water - agua com gas

I could go on for ever....... if you want any more vocab just ask.....no probs!!!!!!
Look out for prato do dia in the restaurants as that is their dish of the day!!!!
We don't like to drive abroad but don't think it is too bad around Cabanas/Tavira area and the motorways are not too bad. I think the Portuguese are not as bad as they used to be behind the wheel. Having gone to Seville several times, I would NOT want to drive there, now that's crazy driving. :omg Even my son (who lived in Spain for 5 years )would not drive in Seville. But Seville is worth seeing. You can get a bus from Tavira but it takes about 4 hours!!!!
Hope this is helpful to you.
Pat :sun
The Portuguese tend to have their Christmas "feast" on Christmas Eve. If I were you, I'd check with the hotel on arrival and, if their Chrismas meal is on Christmas Eve, and you want a traditional British Christmas dinner, this will give you time to check out the local bars/ restaurants. We are staying at a hotel in the Algarve this Christmas and they have e-mailed me a copy of their Christmas Eve dinner, so we will look for a Christmas Day dinner in the town although we are staying all-inclusive.
Have a good time.
The roads around that area should be pretty quiet at that time of the year and should be no problem.

I drive to Seville once a month, free dual carriage-way all the way and won't be to busy until you get to the outskirts of Seville, also cheap fuel once you get into Spain.
Best thing to do if driving to Seville is to park at one of the many carparks just over the river in the city and get a taxi to the center, that way you miss much of the crazyness and have an easier escape route at the end of the day. :wink:
Thank you all for great advice.What on earth would we do without HT?.I will wait and see what day Christmas dinner is served,then make alternative plans if need be.Jay
What would we do without H.T? - find out the hard way, that's what !!
Why not e-mail your hotel re. Christmas dinner arrangements? At least you'll know what to expect, and you'll have chance to research alternatives for your Christmas dinner. With 6 weeks to go, I'm sure someone on H.T. will find a suitable solution - they don't usually fail !!
Whatever you do, have a great Christmas break; we're really looking forward to our Christmas on the Algarve.
Thanks Sagres,I will try that although I am sure the hotel will be fine as Pat has stayed here twice before.We are only going away because my son and daughter are going to be away this xmas and we cant face Xmas here in the cold on our own.We are off to Sharm on November 24th for 2 weeks AI for our anniversary so may be on a diet by Xmas!.Where on the Algarve are you staying?I am sure we will go again as I have heard only good reports about it.Have a great time on your Xmas holiday.Jay
Hi jay,
We're going to Albufeira for Christmas. We holiday on the Algarve, in Lagos, two or three times a year ( well 4 times this year actually ) but we were looking for A/I board for Christmas and that's not available in Lagos. Having said that, we'll probably be eating out as much as in the hotel - the restaurants on the Algarve are so good - and I daresay we'll spend quite a bit of time travelling to and from Lagos as we've made a lot of friends there over the years.
Have a great time and I hope you enjoy yourselves as much as I know that we will.
As i type here I have done my second walk from cabanas to travira in a week , its easy if your fit , or you can rent cycles , i concur though the road can be a bit treacherous for some.
Hi Webhamster,
Pat here...... how is old Cabby and Tavvy????? Is your weather good? Can't wait till we get there for Hogmanay!!!!!!! Pity you will not be there at that time. It's gale force winds here in Glasgow today, freezing and wet (just thought you'd like to know what you're missing)
Did you remember the tattie scones :rofl
I would not like to cycle along that road..... how long did it take you to walk? Bet you were ready for a :glynis when you got there!!!!!
did it again today pat , easier eachtime.Yes remembered the scones , tried a few other places for an english too.When we arrived the taxi driver (pedro) said it had been chucking it down for a week , cleared up though.

Been a bit cold last two nights , probably cos we are used to more heat , not like the scots....the first weekthey thought we were mental eating outside....then a quick reminder that we share breakfast with polar bears

laters
Hi Webhamster,
Meant to say to you .....did you know that if you go into the internet place in Tavira... beside the council (at the arches just beside where the wee train stops), you can register for use of the internet and it's free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They give you a membership card which never expires.....I use it each time I'm there.
Only 6 weeks to go till we're there.... can't wait.
Did you try my wee pal's place yet for eating? Belafria, next to bus station? Dead cheap and all home cooking by Leonilde, her husband Jose and sons serve the tables. Just mention Patricia from Escocia!!!!!!!!!!
Pat
Pat 42, can you recommend a good restuarant in Tavira for steaks. I am there for my 40th birthday in April and want a Portuguese style steak. I have had many a nice one in Lagos, Alvor and Albufeira, but have never been to Tavira before.
I am only arrive the day before my birthday, so a few pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. :)
Hi Bertie,
I'm not a great lover of steak but I will be in Tavira and surrounding areas for 6 weeks starting new year's eve. I have a few favourite restaurants in the area and will check them out for you and let you know on my return (11 th Feb).
When in April is your birthday..... I'm on the 9th!!!! Unfortunately won't see my 40th again!!!!!!!!! I can't think of a better place to celebrate your great day!!!!
Any more info, just ask.
Pat :glynis
Hi Pat,
it's the day before yours. 8)
I will look out for your post when you return, have a great time.
I am only there for a few days, so it will be a great help to have a few recommendations.
Thanks once again for your reply. :glynis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.