Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi JaimeC - not stayed there myself but cousin did the year she got married - to be honest it looked like a lovely hotel but it isn;t in Protaras - it's Perena - and even that I don;t think it is central to Perena - maybe a 5/10- min walk and about 20/30 minutes to walk into Protaras. I had lunch with her one day and it was very nice but other than that I couldn;t tell you sorry :oops:
The Golden Coast hotel is in Pernera but on the way to Ayia Triada. It is a fair way out from the resort centre of Pernera. It would take about 15 - 20 mins to walk to the resort centre.
I have been to this hotel in Pernera - twice, and had my marriage vows renewed. It has its own beach as well. I would still go back to this hotel, but the grounds need a good cut as this lets the whole hotel down. In a quieter part of Pernera, no noise, and a 10 min walk from all bars/shops etc.
Thank you for the replies, much appreciated.

I will pass these onto my friend.

Jaime C :wave
Hi!

Just returned from 2 weeks in Pernera, The golden Coast looks nice but is a fair bit away from the centre of Protaras ! I was speaking yesterday to our usual contact in our local Thomas Cook and she told me that the last she heard was that the hotel is currently being used by many russian tourists, also that the hotel may not be of the standard it once was.

Alistair
Hi,
after a long search I think I've possibly found an all inclusive hotel in Protaris for myself, my husband, my 16 year old and my 3 year old - no mean feat!

Havent booked it yet, just wondering if anyone has anything else to say/comment on it before I actually do the deed - it's going to cost a fortune so I want it to be everything we want - clean, great pool, great food, entertainment for all ages, not far from 'buzz' if we want it, near a fab beach......I'II stop there!

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Julie,not sure if you've been to this area before but the Golden Coast is in Pernera,not Protaras,although the two resorts do run into each other(almost).The GC is probably as far away from Protaras as you can get from Pernera so if being close to the "busier" resort is a major factor then you might want to reconsider.As you're going AI then this might not bother you too much. Haven't stayed the the GC but I've used the pool area many times :oops: and the beach area and both are good.If it's a livlier hotel,better beach,busier resort then have a look at Constantinos the Great in Protaras.It's right on the main beach,in the heart of the resort and has everything to keep the kids amused.The food is pretty good although a bit repetetive but usually some thing for everyone.Theres also a kids section with fries,pizza,nuggets etc.
There are other hotels on the main beach/strip of Protaras which do AI, the Odessa and Vrissiana certainly have that option.
Just for the record I'm not knocking Pernera,is a cracking wee place and we've stayed there 4 times before.It's just a bit more low key than Protaras and if that's what you want then the Golden Coast is perfect.
Thanks Dav,
I want to be near the biz but far enough away so that my 3 year old can sleep at night, and whilst I like a beautiful beach, I hate it being overcrowded, also, I'm not into tacky kiss me quick (grotty?) places - would being in the centre of protaras be like this?
Had a look at this hotel last year and it looked unkempt and scruffy in the gardens and beach area.The pool looked ok,as stated above this hotel is a very long way from Protaras and also a long way from Pernera's centre.
Protaras in my opinion is not a grotty place,in fact it has recently had a major rework of the main road along the strip making it one way and the pavements redone.There are obviously tourist shops which sell the usual tack but on the whole most of it is decent stuff with a few more upmarket boutique type shops.Like most other places there is a few karaoke bars and tribute singers but also bars where you can watch tv or listen to music,something for everyone.Unfortunately,it does become very busy at the week-ends and the main hotels on the beach get over-run with noisy,ignorant locals who have no respect for hotel residents who pay good money for the privilage to stay there.There is very little about Protaras I don't like but this is one thing that does get to me.I doubt this would be a problem at the Golden Coast though as they all seem to head for the main beach.
thanks Dav/Wayne, maybe the GC isn't what I,m looking for after all -
I'II keep looking, I guess I dont really want to be right in the thick of things, but somewhere on the edge of them, but within walking distance , but still with all my high standards - I know, I'm so fussy!!

Choosing AI because I work all year and dont want to cook or waste money on food I know my 3 year old wont eat - not sure if I'm making the right decision, if I could find a SC or HB meeting all my requirements I might ponder it!!
Unfortunately,it does become very busy at the week-ends and the main hotels on the beach get over-run with noisy,ignorant locals who have no respect for hotel residents who pay good money for the privilage to stay there.There is very little about Protaras I don't like but this is one thing that does get to me.

dav, a little harsh there I feel IMO! Yes the beaches do get crowded at weekends, but you have to respect the fact that they live there, it's their country and if it was me, then too right I would be at the beach too! 8)
Hi Julieross,

Ive been to protaras 7 times last year i stayed in the Lantiana Gardens its only in the airtours book. I would definately go back again have a look at the reviews they are all good, its just to the rear of the alva apartments so it isnt too noisy but is only a few minutes away from the strip. I have just returned from spain with my children from a 4 star hotel, we went halfboard and the food was rubbish. i will now only go sc or bb. in my humble opinion its ok going hb or ai but if the food is not up to scratch you have wasted your money. I am very fussy and will say you would not be dissapointed at the lantiana gardens
Kezzabelle,you're right,it is their country and if i lived there I would be on the beach at every oppertunity.I was referring the hotels,CTG in particular,which becomes extremely populated by locals on a week-end.As you say I should respect the fact that it's their country and i can assure you the Cypriot people have nothing but my respect ,likewise as a paying guest at a hotel they are using I expect the same respect in return.
Like I said before there is very little I don't like about Protaras,6 years out of 7 tells you that.I just thought that this should be brought up as the original poster stated she didn't like overcrowded beaches.The beaches don't get overcrowded IMO but some of the hotels do and this might be a factor for her in deciding where to stay.
  • Edited by dav 2006-08-20 08:43:00
Julie,if haven't already looked at the Sunrise Beach hotel then I would recommend you do,also the Capo Bay.I don't think there will be too much difference in money between them and Golden Coast,although neither of them are AI.
Thanks Dav, I will look at them both - I looked at the Latiana Gardens and it looks really good, but on airtours sight the flights are both night-time, no use for my wee boy, maybe I should try building a DIY holiday with flights and hotels seperate - I've always went package before, but its worth a try, do you know of any good e mail sites for me to try this?
Thanks.
To be honest,any time I've looked at booking direct the prices have always well above the package price.At least with a tour company there is a good chance you'll get at least one free child which keeps the price down a bit.The price of flights to Larnaca are usually expensive as well although you can be lucky sometimes,but if you're trying to plan ahead and want to be sure you can get a seat then it tends to be full price.I'm sure someone will be able to give you more info on how to get the best deal though.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/cyprus/pernera/golden-coast-hotel/ For our reviews of this hotel.

If anyone has stayed here and not yet done so, would you please add your review via the above link.

Many Thanks :wave
Hi

I have been to this hotel (Golden Coast) for my wedding vows, i also went back the next year to see if it had changed.

The rooms and sea view rooms as upgrades are beautiful, the hotel itself is very nice as is the food. They do all inclusive and a good array of food for kids. I cannot comment on A1 as i stayed B & B.

The beach is as private as it gets next to a jetty, and its lovely and shallow. Water sports are here as well. The gardens do need a tidy up, but this didnt really bother me. A lot of people get married at the golden coast because of its beautiful setting and views.

The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the main drag of Pernera where alot of good restaurants and pubs are, it is slightly quietly than Protaras. I am not a fan myself of protaras as it gets too crowded on the beaches and scooters are everywhere, but i do like to walk around it at least once. At night its like being in a sardine can. I do like pernera because most of the restaurants are family owned, and there are decent drinking places without being OTT with Elvis and Robbie impersonators :wink:

If you like a base where the beach is really nice and not too rowdy, great views, and near enough to get to the main parts, then this could be the hotel for you.

We have also been to the Pernera beach hotel and the LIVAS apartments in Pernera. Pernera beach is dead central in Pernera itself. From Pernera to protaras it takes 20 mins to walk, or 2 mins by cab, very cheap. Buses come from all hotels or outside the windmills very frequently.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.