Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Had my honeymoon there 15 years ago and then it was quite a distance from any restaurants etc but not now though. Plenty of things close enough to the hotel.
Any advice please? I'm also looking at Sun City in Olu which is AI at the same price as the Azur's HB. Looking to go Oct half term next year.
We stayed at the Grand Azur last October (see my hotel review) - was there anything in particular you wanted to know ?

It's a nice hotel, ....though not perfect by any means.

It changed ownership this year so things may be a little different now it is no longer an Iberostar hotel. :)
Thanks for the reply jdybnsn :D

I'm attracted by the good food reviews and also I can get a good price, £1800 for the 6 of us during October half term. I was wondering if there was much there for the children who'll be 11, 8, & twins 6.

I see you travelled in October too, was there much going on in both the hotel and Marmaris and how was the weather during your stay?

Thanks again for your time.
Hi Pamplemousse,

I don't wish to alarm you but we were recently looking to go to Mexico in the Oct half term next year and were quoted an amazing price. However, when I checked our local council's website it seems we are having our half term a week later than usual next year (27th Oct - 3rd November). We have now booked to go during the half term week and have had to pay an extra £400! I posted about this on the general forum and it seems different parts of the UK have different school holiday times next October so it might be worth checking if you don't want to take your children in term time.

Cazz
Hi cazzholly

Thanks for the warning but I had checked the website as that's where I got the dates from. Our school hadn't yet posted them so I checked today and they confirmed the dates for me. Incidently yours are the same as ours, jsut hoping the weather will hold though!!

Would love Mexico, but above our budget for the 6 of us. Have a great time!
We've been to Turkey in the October half term before and the weather was lovely - bit cool in the evenings though! You'll have a great time.
Hi
We went the week before half term and there wasn't anything for the kids as far as organised activities went within the hotel, which was very unusual for an Iberostar hotel BUT it is no longer an Iberostar hotel so hopefully that may well have all changed !

However, the kids found plenty to occupy themselves with in the hotel - the pools are great (though a little chilly). There is also a small lazy river though do watch out for the decappitating bridges !! and a concrete lined water chute taking you from the out door pool to the indoor one....it would not pass a safety inspection in this country (being concrete lined with rocks enroute) but certainly alot of fun !!!!
There is a snooker table in the foyer and table tennis in the indoor pool area.
The small waterpark next to the hotel was already closed for the winter, but I believe the main big one in the town was still open.

There are also boat trips from the hotel pier and many more from the main harbour.

The market at Icemeler was definitely worth a visit (but make sure you get directions as we spent an age walking around trying to find it). Lots of cheap gameboy and other games (best buy, 5 for £20) if your kids are into these.

The weather was a little on the cool side dull most days though it did not rain..brightening up in the afternoons - but this was typical all round the Med last October - we have been to the Med the last 3 or 4 Octobers and this was the first time it was not warm and sunny all the while.
There was the most fantastic thunder storm there the second night we were there - it really was quite something ! The pool & pool side all had to be cleaned thoroughly after it - but the hotel was quick to get the facilities running again.

Personally we found Marmaris was just too busy and Blackpool like for us ....but I can appreciate that many people like this kind of bustling, party atmosphere.

In two weeks we are going to a different part of Turkey - Lara Beach near Antalya....The Titanic Beach Hotel - check out the reviews on this one ! AMAZING ! Its a bit pricer but if you do DIY you can end up with quite a good deal ...if you know where to look ! That said Eclipse were doing a very good deal with free child places at the back end of last year.

If you want any further details on the Azur (or the Titanic !) then let me know. My top tip would be to book a sea view room / suite on the fourth floor - stunning views from there ! :D
  • Edited by jdybnsn 2007-10-02 10:46:00
Thanks for your very comprehensive reply, very helpful.

Hopefully we will be lucky with the weather. We went to Lykia World (fantastic) in Olu Deniz in June and it touched 54 degrees one day!! That was our first time to Turkey and we are booked to go next June to the Aqua Fantasy in Kusadsi, mainly for it's on-site water park for the kids.

This was a bonus holiday for my 40th last year, long story but we ended up cancelling a skiing trip hubby had organised as he had a hernia so I kept the money and found this one, a bargain I think at £1800 for the week for the 6 of us.

I am expecting Marmaris to be as you say, but thought it would be ok at that time of year and as the other holiday would be mainly hotel based, this one would be a little different.

I have gone ahead and booked it, so thanks for your comments and help. I believe the food is good here so fingers crossed.

The Titanic reviews are excellent so I'll look forward to hearing your review. My parents are going to the Delphin Palace, Lara this October on my recommendation as the reviews on here are so good, I think they'll love it. I did consider both those and the Royal Wings for next year but the Aqua Fantasy was so reasonable I went with that. May well book one of them for 2009 though, either that or back to Lykia World.
Hi that's great news :)

I'm sure you will enjoy the hotel - it is definitely one of the best in Marmaris, and its position is good... meaning that its far enough away from the hustle & bustle not to impact on your sleep !

We really enjoyed eating lunch at their own bar, situated by their private beach - a very nice spot !

I would definitely email the hotel with a request for the 4th floor if you like a sea view.

Enjoy ! :lol:
Thanks yes I had noted that on your review. I have specified a sea view and top floor with the T/O but will do as you say and email the hotel nearer the time.

Thanks again and enjoy your holiday in Lara. I'm green but will look forward to hearing your review for it, as I say that, the Delphin and the Royal Wings are on my next hit list!!
Thinking of booking Maritim grand azur for 2 weeks may 09. NEVER done turkey before so any info on hotel and area would be very welcome!
:welcome to the forums Dancingsnr

Here are our reviews for this hotel until some members who have stayed here get back to you:- http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/turkey/dalaman-region/marmaris/maritim-grand-azur-hotel/

If anyone has stayed here and not left a review please do so via the above link.

Many thanks :cheers
Hi All
Have been looking at a few different places for October week - 24th - I was wondering if anybody has been to the Grand Azur hotel in Marmaris and also what the weather and resort were like in late October .

Appreciate any answers AQ
We were there last October and really enjoyed it - I have left a review you may like to look at. The resort was closing up as it was the last week in October but that was ideal for us as a family, there was still plenty open to keep us occupied. We went on a few trips such as horse riding in the mountains which we couldn't do in the Summer due to the heat. It was pleasantly warm, just needed a jacket for evenings. The kids braved the pool but once was enough for me, the sea though was a little warmer.

The hotel itself was lovely with great food and a touch of class, atrio playd outside during dinner which was nice. It backs onto the beach and a promenade runs from behind it into Marmaris so you can have a nice relaxing stroll after dinner, stopping in a couple of bars perhaps.

Any specific questions I'll try my best to answer.
pamplemousse

Thanks for the info :tup

AQ
Hellooooooooooo!

Has anyone been to the grand azur? we always go to club alize but as the prices are going up and up it was only a bit more to go to the 5* grand azur half board..... i was just wondering if anyone knows what the kids club is like and if it is worth going all inclusive when you get there? I won't be having dinner in the hotel tho..... too many yummy places to eat in marmaris, yum yum, cant wait wahoooooooooooooo!!!

has anyone been to grand azur? i'm not used to change lol, wahooooo 2wks and 3 days!

Love Nikki x x x x x :wave:
Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.