America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
helicopter trips
145 Posts
I have just been looking on the net for helicopteer tours to the Canyon, and have come across Look tours. Any one been with them and are they any good? The prices it came up with were pretty good. Any help please???
I have been looking at Grand Canyon trips and from what I have seen it is the Grand Canyon Tour Compnay that offer the cheapest price for what we want - ie. a plane, helicopter and boat ride in the one trip- this is coming in at $279 if booked online.

Just wondering if anyone else has booked through this company to find out if they are reliable etc?
I have seen both companies mentioned on another website and can't remember seeing any complaints about them.

I believe Look Tours are an agency, they don't actually have any helicopters, and I think they are agents for Heli-USA, but you are cheaper booking with them than with Heli-USA direct.

luci :wave
When my parents came over to visit, we went on a Grand Canyon tour with Papillon. We found them to be reliable and courteous and the prices were reasonable. They offered both helicopter and plane rides. We chose the plane since it was cheaper but sometimes people prefer the helicopter (usually less turbulence).
Try and go by helicopter the turbulence on
the small planes[15 seater] was really bad
would never do it again,we were thrown from
side to side,but the views were fantastic well
worth the trip,i think we did it through Heli-tours
but it was 5yrs ago,going again in Sept so may do
it again but some other form of transport.enjoy.
Ann :fly :fly
We were in Vegas in February and used Papillion. We did the trip that dropped us in the Canyon for about 30 mins and included lunch. Brillant tour and worth every penny. We paid about £130 each.
Hi everybody,
We hope to be in LA in early July with a car and flying home from SF two weeks later. We would like to visit Grand Canyon. Would a road trip from LA via San Diego, Flagstaff, grand Canyon and on to LV be a long hot drive?
Would we be better to leave the car in LA and fligh to LV and to the canyon? Thanks.
Whether or not you are better off flying depends on you really. However, if you just want to take in LA, the Grand Canyon, and Vegas, your proposed route may not be the best one. You can easily get from LA to Vegas via I-15 (approx 5 to 6 hrs drive) and there are many companies that offer Grand Canyon tours out of Las Vegas and Boulder (Boulder is close to Vegas). Also, having a car in Vegas gives you the option of driving to the Hoover Dam, which is an interesting half-day out.
Am unsure which is the "best" rim to fly to. The tour I was interested in from Vegas and Helicopter to the bottom with river raft ride goes to the West Rim, I didn't want to find out later that I had "done it wrong" and that the South rim was the place to go.

Any opinions as to which Rim?
I have checked previous posts and so far no mention of this thanks Pipi.
My Mother is travelling to Las Vegas with her friend in November and would like to take a day trip to the Grand Canyon, any recommendations on a company to book with, book before she leaves the UK or when in Vegas? Any advise on these trips would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Papillion come highly recommended although there are other companies. I don't know if it's any cheaper booking it from the UK before you go.

Hi

8 of us are going on holiday to Vegas, New Orleans and Memphis next Easter. 6 are doing a Grand Canyon Tour. There are many companies operating tours from Vegas to the canyon and some are operators and some are concessionaires for operators - hard to tell sometimes from the web sites. I have chosen a tour from Grand Canyon Tour Company and it is a flight to the Canyon aiport, helicopter down to the Canyon floor, boat ride on the Colorado, helicopter back up to the top etc. Its called the Grand Voyager Expedition.

Question: has anyone used this particular company and what was their experience and has anyone done the Grand Voyager Expedition with this company and is it ok?

Just a bit concerned because I have read a couple of poor reviews (about a bus tour apparently arranged by this company) but it is easy to get the names confused so I thought I would ask on this forum.

Thanks
I was in Las Vegas in February this year and did the Canyon trip with Sundance Helicopters. To be honest, I think the flight companies are all probably okay, or they would soon go out of business due to the fierce competition.

The one piece of advice I would give would be to book locally if you are doing this out of season, as that way you can monitor the weather forecast and be sure of a good day for your trip.

If you are willing to pay a bit extra, I would also suggest going on the sunset flight, as you get full daylight at the Canyon, but return to Vegas into the setting sun, which is beautiful. Upon your return you are then flown up the Strip when it is fully lit up and is spectacular.

I think this only cost about $35 more, but that may vary with different operators.
Am unsure which is the "best" rim to fly to. The tour I was interested in from Vegas and Helicopter to the bottom with river raft ride goes to the West Rim, I didn't want to find out later that I had "done it wrong" and that the South rim was the place to go.

Any opinions as to which Rim?

If you're viewing the Canyon from thr Rim, then I would say South is way, way, way the best. I did North last year, and was thrilled by it, but then I went to South this year and was blown away by it. Additionally at North you're stuck at one point, whereas at South they have the shuttle busses which cover anbout 8 miles of the Rim. The busses are free and you can get on and off wherever you want.

"West" - where Skywalk is - isn't really the Grand Canyon at all, it's an arm of a branch. Skywalk itself isn't worth spending the money to go to, nor is it worth wrecking your car suspension bouncing down 14 miles of unmade road to get there.
But presumably it's a rental car, so who cares? 8)
I've been looking at the 'Ranch' tours that drop you off at a cowboy ranch for a bbq and optional horse ride. Has anyone done this? Its not clear which part of the canyon you actually get to see. I want to experience the south rim as you guys have said this is the best side to see and don't want to miss out on this just for the novelty of a bit of cowboy action! Any advice would be great. Only 10 days to go.
I belive that the tour that includes the cowboy ranch is at the West Rim. You can't go directly to the south rim by helicopter from Vegas. I believe you have to get a bus and/or plane.

Is it better to book this trip in the UK before we leave or should we wait until we get to Las Vegas - there seems to a lot of companies to choose from and I wondered if it might be cheaper to wait?

Thanks.
I wonder if you could help me decide which flight to go on. I notice that you can stay over at a ranch etc, or fly to different places etc, what are your experiences to help me decide.

Thanks x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.