Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Werewolf

Have you visited this website: http://www.redseahotels.com ? Hope this helps.
Hi Caro

Thanks for that e-mail Address, it was very helpful.

Thanks werewolf. :D
Hi all.

Has any one been to the new hotel Grand Markardi Place that opened inFeb. :roll:
If anyone has come back from there can you let me know what its like, although we are not going there till Sept whats the food like, rooms, etc.
We are going All Inclusive it would be nice to know what the hotel is like and if there is plenty to do. :wave :thanks
Hi there. Has anyone been to this hotel of is staying there? Wonderd if anyone had any info for this hotel at all. Its just outside Hurghada in Makadi bay.
After being undecided for weeks on where to go in november I might give this hotel a go but cant find any reviews. I'm asuming it is new. Any info on the hotel and area would be great,
Thanks
Werewolf,

I'm staying at the Grand Makadi Palace in August so will post a review when I get back. From what I've seen and heard of it so far I'm sure it will be great. :D

regards

Stew
Hi there, was wondering if anyone had stayed here and what it is like. Thanks!!
Just come back from there and had a great time. The hotel is still not quite finished and some building work is still going on in the day but it will not interfere with your holiday. Will post a review shortly.
Hi Chelsea!
Please could you let me know what the snorkelling is like at the hotel. Is there a reef there with jetty access to the water or can you just walk right in?
Did you ever take the shuttle bus to Grand Resort in Hurghada? Is this a complementary service and does it have to be booked in advance.

Thanks Caro

Ps Glad you had a good time - is it your review in the hotel review section?
Hi Caro,

Yes it is my review.

With regard to the snorkelling get youself some swim shoes as it is very rocky underneath. Wade out a bit, dunk a banana in the water and within seconds you'll be surrounded by all kinds of fish.

The shuttle coach is complimentary and is bookable in advance although I never had any problem getting on it. timetable as stated in my review.

Happy holidays :D
Thanks for the reply Chelsea.

Have got the swim shoes (2 pairs - bought in Sharm and Hurghada) but not yet the holiday! Hope to get something sorted soon.
Hello!!!

Going to Grand Makadi Hotel this saturday! Any comments on kids (6yo) activities ? And other sports than snorkeling diving swimming ? What kind of activities can we make over there ? Tourist attractions ?

Would be great to meet you there :D

Anyway, going to bring big books for relaxing 8)

A Portuguese in Luxembourg!

One last question: is there internet ? WiFi ? am an internet addict :P
Is it suitable for families.and is there any fair and water parks anything to entertain my kids ive got a 11 year old who likes water parks and fair and a 2 year old nearly 3 in feb please,please,please post back i never get replies so please,callyx-x-x-xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi cally,

You'll find it very suitable for families. I believe there is a waterpark in Hurghada but I never saw any sign of a fair.

Don't worry cally you'll love it :D . The animation team at the Hotel do lots of things for young children. This takes place mainly on the beach which is in front of the hotel.

regards

Stew.
No fairs in Hurghada. The Titanic Resort and Aquapark is a kids delight. Makaadi Bay is roughly 40 km from Hurghada.
Hello Everybody...

What can I say... yes, we had a nice holiday... but... no, the hotel is NOT worth "5* plus"... 4* minus would be fair! What a BIIIIIG deception! Sorry to disappoint you folks, but I really did not appreciate the hotel, especially as this is NOT a hotel YET!!!

Let's start with the bad stuff :shock: , the good will be left to another message...

- we arrived at night, the baggage was like "assaulted" by the bell men, and we had to run after them (!) with our 6 years old daughter through the never ending corridors until we arrived to our room; actually, we have to go through the Grand Makadi lobby in order to get to the Makadi Palace! not that they robbed us (the hotel is very safe... we think!) but they were like making a competition or so!!! not very pleasant :(
- the "Makadi Palace" is just an "extension" of the "Grand makadi"... the lobby should be opening "soon" in egypcian terms (they said mid jan, I would say mid march...)

- when we arrived at our room, our daughter's bed (or better: sofa) was not prepared :cry: . We asked to the staff and to the reception... but she had finally to sleep in our bed! Not really a problem because it is a huge one... but... another deception

- what a TERRIBLE smell :evil: in the toilet of the bedroom! like "urine in putrefaction"... this was AWFUL! we asked several times somebody to fix it... but it would only last for some hours, the smell would come back again!!! I still have the smell in my nose :(:(:(

- but we had a LOT OF CHANCE! Another person, whom we met there, had a room with NO SUN, and the smell was in the WHOLE ROOM!!! it was 10 times worse than our room!!!

- sometimes it looked like that we had to fight for Shampoo, Bottled Water and towels...

- other times they were knocking at our door "every five minutes" even with "NO DISTURB" !!! just to ask if "everything was OK"... we know somebody that went naked to answering the door!!!

- the stairway was NOT finished, dirty, with wholes in the walls etc... OK, this was mostly for the employees but as we were on the 1rst floor it was the best way to get to the ground floor...

- ... instead of taking a "second lift", as the first one was not working... with a somewhat whole at the bottom ot the door :(, which was quite far from our bedroom, so we preferred the "wholed uncleaned" stairway!

- there was a CONTINUOUS NOISE of the works being made in the new hotel next to the Palace (the "Family Makadi")... not that it would be disturbing in a city... but in such a place!!! It was like CONTINOUOUS HARASSMENT!

- activities ? which activities ? darts ?... some "dancing" activity where the only people who was laughing were the entertainers... evening show sometimes interresting but always the same style... terrible "live" rock entertainment (never seen anybody dancing!)... NO POOL ACTIVIVITIES, NO SEA ACTIVITIES whatsoever! NO INTERESSTING ACTIVITIES! Finally, I payed for a 6 hours tennis lesson... useless activities!!!

- and the POOL... BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... could NEVER go inside... the water was FREEZING... don't think you can get inside, ever! useless pools!!!

- kids activities ? yes, there is a MINI CLUB :? ... with a lovely lady, may I say. But I would not recommend it... she is let ALONE with the kids (what if ...), there are just a few games and NOTHING ELSE to do! Imagine when there are 29 kids (as there were this last summer!) with one person only in charge ?!?!?!? DANGEROUS!!!!

- and not to say that the KIDS CLUB is in the "Grand Makadi" area, opposite from the "Palace", some 15-20 minutes walking!

- the hotel is VERY windy, open everywhere, it was awful when we arrived due to the cold... but the weather became much better later on...

- we got ill in the Lebanese restaurant... but OK, it was just at the end of the holiday... so... we can live with it

- the employees, some quite nice though, are always expecting a tip... which becomes a HASSLE! Of course you cannot get around with money in your pockets all the time... so you don't feel very good at the end

- not to say about the "unfinished stuff" everywhere, very low quality materials, very low quality finishings...

- and if you want to go to Hurghada... the bus stops at the other hotel of the chain and then... there are still 5kms to go... a taxi to take etc. We did not even try :(
- and you have to pay for any alcohol (except bad wine and local beer), even expresso coffee!!! and be careful with cocktails... alcohol in Egypt can be VERY DANGEROUS (somebody we met in the returning bus was very ill just after drinking one of their cocktails)

A hotel for 70+ aged people! BORRING!!!

Other stuff comming in next message...

Yours,
Joao.

PS. You can contact me by email for details and photos if you'd like; could not take a photo of the smell... though
OK. The hotel is not worth the money we spent... but what an enchantment at night! Lights everywhere, huge PALM trees, BEAUTIFUL gardens, flowers of multiple colors and species, blue clean water lagoons... REALLY BEAUTIFUL.

And so clean... Always cleaning everywhere... Yes, the outside is a 5* hotel...

The food was OK too... there were one Thai, one Lebanese, one Italian, and 2 international restaurants. As there were almost nobody, there were no queues and the food was excellent. The best was the Thai, the Italian the worst.

And also very safe, guards everywhere...

Our eyes is what saved our vacation.

Yours,
João.
Josousa,

Sorry to hear that you had a below par holiday.
I'm somewhat suprised at some of your comments and observations as a lot of what you say was definately not the case when we went in the summer. Perhaps they wind down a lot of the operational cover and amenities during the Winter, I don't know.
Hi. Any info, good or bad on the Grand Makadi hotel would be really helpful. Especially the all inclusive options, can you use all the restaurants in the Grand Makadi? What about the restaurants in the Makadi Palace, are they included in the AI option? Has anyone stayed in a Junior Suite, what's the difference to a Deluxe room?
Many thanks
Malcolm
hi, saw your Q's & just had to reply......
we went in feb this year, stayed in the palace just for a week & had a fab time.
we are a family of 4, 2 boys 5 & 8. stayed in a junior suite which was great, we actually had 2 single beds but you can ask for a double...the boys slept on a sofa, we put the top of the sofa(cushion) on the floor, they did try to bring us a single bed but we thought it would be a little crowded.
both hotels are joining at the moment though we were told that it would be seperated in time. you can use either of the hotels facilities, pools, restaurants & bars, all inclusive the only thing payable was freshly squeezed orange juice & cappucinos from the lobby bar.
a al carte restaurants- italian & lebanese were great (next to grand mak. lobby)
Thai garden lots said it was great but we didnt go because of the children.
yes you need to book just go day before.
there are more restaurants opening this year.

buffets-lagoon- next to beach, nice location for bfst.
the dome-in the middle of the swimming pools bfst & dinner.
grill bar- lunch & afternoon (good ice cream & pancake)
discovery- lunch
All very good lots of choice.....

bars-grand cafe & lobby (mak. grand) lovely early evening for pre dinner drinks & music.
piano bar- lovely with singer from 9 ish (palace)
joker club- entertainment from 9ish again great place to relax & enjoy a beer.
beach- lots of beds, however popular so get down there early to put your towel on, cant really get into sea lots of rocks but if you walk right, past where theyre building there new hotel you can go in & snorkel, its great waist high theres loads of fish & coral, is worth the 10 min walk. we stayed around the pool most of the time for the boys, loads of beds with parasol for every 2. (palace)
didnt go to the grand pool as it was empty they were repairing it.....
but was due to be filled the weekend after we left so dont worry.
hurghada- free shuttle bus about 6 times aday, just book your palace at reception, shopping good, shoes, perfume, any make i bought coco chanels chance 100% pure for £11 for 50ml,
bags & souveniors, bartering was fun.
cigs only £8 for 200 in hurghada!
all in all fantastic, we are going back next easter as we have already booked to go to the bahamas in oct.
hotel spotless (there is a attendant at every toilet, they go in & fold the paper every time you go!)
weather scorching 90's nights get quite cold but i dont think so in sept.
if your thinking of a day trip go to Giftun island, paradise definatly!
full day 2 x1hr snorkling sites & 1 hr at giftun, lunch on board...the sea is the most turquoise blue you have ever seen...seriously!
if i can give you any more info plz dont hesitate to ask
kylie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.