Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Fiscardo on Kefalonia has a stunning harbour but it is quite an expensive place to stay with none of the mainstream operators going there.
Aghia Efima and Sami, also on Kefalonia are worth a look and are becoming more popular each year. Aghia efima is the more laid back of the two but Sami has the busier port. I make a point of visiting both these places each time i visit the island. Both places have great view across to Ithaca.
Assos is also a stunning place, but again, no mainstream operators go there althought here is plenty of accommodation on offer if you are prepared to go it alone. If you are interested in Kefalonia, check out http://www.ionian-island.co.uk
Rethymnon and Chania on Crete have great harbours but are much more lively. Both places do have the maze of old back streets for exploring which Sami and Aghia Efima don't really have.
Good luck in your search!

John
Paxos - you can fly from Bristol to Corfu and you've got a choice of 3 very differnt harbours. Bit smaller than Skiathos though
Paxos is a good choice. Flying from Bristol does make life easier and you can catch the hydrofoil from Corfu into Gaios.

Have a look at this informative site:

http://www.agni.gr/members/Paxos/ElaineK/index.asp

Nowhere, of course, will compare with Symi, which does have the best harbour in Europe., as you know.
Not that you're biased????? :wink: Symi is a great choice though.

If you really want somewhere where the harbour is the focus of all life - get adventurous, fly to Rhodes and get the ferry to Megisti/Kastellorizo-stunning scenery, great harbour(better than Symi's :D ), clearest sea you can imagine....but NO beaches. Watch the Italian film Mediterraneo.

Rethymnon and Chania on Crete have very good harbour life, but you do pay for the privilege.
thanks for that. Looking through brochures and websites seems hard to find any real detail about places.
We like the openess of a harbour where you can sit around and a bit of a bustle going on instead of staring into the bar opposite all night!

Nice to also have a selection of good beaches to choose from, so have a bit of variety some days.

I love all the greek islands we have been to, but must admit Skiathos is our favourite so far, but we are willing to try some new places, but deciding where is the hard part!! :lol:

Otherwise it will be biting the bullet and having to go from Gatwick if no Bristol flights available. :roll:
Molyvos in Lesvos has a wonderful harbour and the Seahorse Hotel overlooks it.
Hi janbabe :wave

Must it be an Island ?

Parga on the mainland is very nice with a lovely harbour and ruined castle, several nice beaches and many good walks.
You can only fly from Gatwick or Manchester though :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/big-graham/Avatar/525059887dUgrsN_ph-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/big-graham/Avatar/112764777uQIdOr_ph.jpg
AND you coul do a day trip to Paxos to scout out suitability for the next year!!
Just come back from there 5 days ago, fabulous holiday.
Parga is easily done independantly - flight only to Corfu (lots of choice there) and then ferry to Igoumenitsa and bus to Parga. People meet the bus offering accommodation or, if not, an enquiry at a taverna will produce some offers.

Cheers,
Jet
From Bristol, you can fly to:

Corfu (for Paxos and Parga), Crete (Heraklion), Halkidiki, Kavala (for Thasos, another nice harbour), Kefalonia, Kos, Rhodes, Skiathos and Zante.

Bristol Airport web page still has 7 companies flying to Skiathos. Have they all changed their minds?
I can confirm with the previous note that the sea horse hotel in levos over the harbour as we were there last year and hasd a great time.
I have to agree with the previous suggestions for Paxos (of course :wink: )

Have a look at my Paxos Page (thanks for the plug rpbristol!) and photos

Elaine
For me one pf the nicest harbours has to be Kos town it has a lot of history and quaint streets with bars and taverna's. We will have been there twice this year loved it so much.
Also another favorite is Rhodes town where you have the medival castle with all shops and taverna's within its walls.
Next year on our list is Santorini and Rethyonm in Crete.
I've just been back to Agia Efimia on Kefalonia for the second time and I love the harbour.
Some pictures here - http://mysite.orange.co.uk/kefa2/agia_efimia.htm
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.