Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
You will notice a difference in price, and the people, and the weather, Gumbet always has a slight cooling wind from the sea, Everythings more expensive, And the people are not as friendly as Icmeler's, Let us know what you thought when you return, Have a good holiday.
So rwb46, apart from it being cold, expensive and unfriendly would you otherwise recommend the resort? :shock:

Seriously, is it really more expensive than Icmeler, and if so why would is that the case?

Cheers.
Chamcham - be aware that there are many Icmeler fans on here [myself included], but some would have you believe that the resorts differ vastly and because of that, you wont have a good time.

Im not a massive fan of Gumbet, wouldnt go back unless it was a cheap deal, but I still enjoyed my holiday there 6 or so years back. A holiday is what you make of it, and if the apartments are clean and comfortable, you meet a few friendly people, have some banter and chat with the locals, then you're bound to enjoy yourself.

I remember when I was last in Gumbet, there were alot of Dutch there in early October, and that made it more enjoyable in the bars/ by the pool etc.

Prices in October wont be majorly different. so dont worry too much about that.

The beach is not the best, but does the job, and although im not sure of your kids ages, make sure you jump on the dolmus and head into Bodrum for a day/ a couple of nights. Kids may well love the Castle of St Peter.

Have a great time.
Hope you have a great time. Gumbet will be a good base to visit other places. It's not far to Bodrum where you can find boat trips and of course the castle which is well worth a visit whatever your age. Some boats take passengers to camel beach where there are -- camels. It's a nice spot with plenty of sand and some restaurants. I believe there is a water park not too far away from Gumbet, not sure if it's open in October though.
Thanks for the responses
I can understand why everyone champions Icmeler,we do too, We love the place having been several times.
Its just that we were in Icmeler earlier this year and the Gumbet deal was Mega cheap. The Agar apartments get good reviews so we so thought we would try somewhere different to explore.
It will be interesting to see the differences between the two resorts and I'm sure we will have a great time ( I always find holidays are what you make them).
My boys are 12 and 14 and will be more than happy finding finding some new friends and hanging around the pool. ( might be a lonely week for me though, better find some books :lol: )

I'm sure prices wont be an issue, The holiday itself was cheap enough so a bit extra on spendies wont be an issue.

Cheers
Cham :wink:
I was at the Siesta appartments Gumbet (Not my cup of tea that place) in June, And ended up hiring a Car for 3 days and going to Icmeler, Dont get me wrong Gumbet is a nice place, With loads to do and plenty of Bar/Restauraunts also, Its probably bigger than Icmeler particularly with all the new buildings going up here there and everywhere, Dont get me wrong about the wind eithier as it's a very refreshing cool breeze when it's 40 degrees, Just hunt around for the cheaper places you will find them as I found them easy enough, If that's what your looking for that is, I would have no hesitation in going back anytime.
You can always entertain the boys at the Oasis Shopping Center, which is on the way into Bodrum, they have a bowling alley and pool tables. Also a number of cafe's and retaurants in the shopping center ranging from a Burger King, to a Chinese(very good value lunch) plus a couple of Turkish Restaurants. There's also a cinema which shows a few films in English.

As for prices, the touristy restaurants down at the front and in Bar Street and the Main Street are more expensive that the Turkish reataurants that are a little walk away.
I love Gumbet.....far prefer it to Marmaris.
The only thing I will say though is we went 5 years ago at the end of Sept beginning Oct.....and the place was winding down even then.....I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Gumbet will have finished up for the winter by Oct Half term.....Elaine would be the best person to ask
3rd week in October (half term) some of the shops and restaurants will be closing down for the season. But most will still be open. Some bars etc are intending opening all year this year in Gumbet.

Weather - should still be hot enough all day to feel like you're on summer holidays, but you'll need a jacket or fleece and jeans for evening, once the sun goes down. And blankets on the beds.

The Agar aparts get great reviews, and they are not too far from the centre of town (about 10 minutes from the bottom end of Bar Street).

Hope you and your boys enjoy your trip,

Elaine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.