Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Well I love Gumbet and think it is wonderful there :)

I haven't been to Icmeler so I can't compare but I'm sure you will have a great time in Gumbet. There are plenty of restaurants serving all kinds of food, lots of bars ranging from relaxed ones to chill in to lively dancing bars so something for everyone. There is a good variety of shops and of course you are only 10 minutes by dolmus from Bodrum.

You can do all the usual trips; boat trips, jeep safaris, Turkish nights, Turkish baths, day to Ephesus an Pamukkale, village tour etc

Anything else you would like to know? Where are you staying?

Kedi
Well I've been to both and much prefer Gumbet - but I'm biased 'cos I live part of the year in Gumbet. It's difficult to explain the difference (although it is different) and on this and other forums, you will have those who prefer Gumbet and those who prefer Icmeler.

Gumbet is also a great base for exploring the rest of the Bodrum peninsula by dolmus - and there's some lovely places to visit.

I know this is going to sound really stupid (though some people would say that wasn't a surprise coming from me), but to me Gumbet has a more Turkish feel to it than Icmeler - see I said it would sound stupid!! Hope you understand what I mean when you get there.

Hope you have a great holiday.

JAK xx
I have also been to both,and yes Gumbet does have a more Turkish feel to it,it is a more older looking resort,and smaller.Give me Icmeler every time. :cheers
Thanks for your help. We are staying at the jasmin beach apts kedi do you have any info on there. what is the beach like ? :sun2

have you ever been to pammukale or however you spell it because some reports say that all is not what it seems and all the pools have dried up and there not that great. Well i hope we do have a great time really looking forward to it now cant wait.
My daughter stayed at jasmine beach 3 years ago,we stayed just along from it,beach is gritty.We had a look around her apartment,it was very spacious and clean,the place has a security man that walks around in the evenings,2 nice pools,she had no complaints and enjoyed her stay there.Dolmus stops outside that will take you to Bodrum.10 minutes walk will take you to bar street and the many restaurants and bars.Try Minstrel restaurant as you walk along the front from Jasmine,excellent food,and good deals. :wave:
A differing view here. I went to Gumbet and stayed at the Jasmin beach, which is a rather large complex, which personally I did not like too loud and brash for my liking. This was in 2005 and the palce was full of chav types, sorry if that sounds a bit smobbish. There are several pools in the complex and are a decent size. Plenty of kids running about the place and very British. I found the resort also to be a little on the small side, not that many streets, bu there were plenty of restuarants.

Been to Icmeler 5 times now and certainly much prefer there. Seems to have a more relaxed feel about the resort, plenty of restaurants and the resort feels bigger maybe because its more stretched out, eg the main centre the old village. Icmeler just feels more sophisticated and less in your face

Stewart
Jasmine are nice apartments, right on the beach, 10 minutes from the centre of the resort. As Crispy says the beach isn't soft sand, more shingle but it is nice enough.

Pamukkale isn't as clean as it used to be and you can't go in all the pools like you used to be able to. I still enjoyed my trip there though as it is fascinating to see.

I'm sure you will have a great time.
I have been going to Icmeler since 1993 and love the place,but decided to try Gumbet last May.
I really enjoyed it and I am going back this May.
Its smaller than Icmeler and I dont think its as scenic but still lovely.
Beware the music does NOT get switched off at midnight here!
I too have been to both Gumbet and Icmeler, I also stayed in the Jamin beach Apartments, I found the apartment that I was in was dark and dingy also agree about the loud and brash issue.
Gumbet in its self I thought was now where near as nice as Icmeler, very loud music played in the most of the bar's I also found the traders to be rude when you were in the shops.
Give me Icmeler any time
Hi
Gumbet what a dump, if it was my first time in turkey it would have been my last the Jasmin was ok the beach was smooth hard core and constant harassment in the town.The last time i was in Icmeler it was a hell of alot better than Cumbet
Good job we don't all like the same place or else it would get really crowded. Funny how resorts in Turkey seem to bring out more differences of opinion than anywhere else.

I love Gumbet, didn't really take to Marmaris or Icmeler - but we're all individuals with different tastes (and that's what makes us all so special).

Let's just all agree to be Turkey lovers!!

JAK xx
If we all liked the same holidays this site would not be needed. Think most turk would agree with me about gumbet,i don't think you would find many in this area. I do love turkey and have been going for a long time
R-Wal wrote:
Think most turk would agree with me about gumbet,i don't think you would find many in this area. I do love turkey and have been going for a long time

So are you saying that no Turkish people live in Gumbet or visit there for their holidays? I lived in Gumbet and there are loads of Turkish people living there. There are also many who holiday there and love it, so you are wrong about what most Turks think!

If it was such a dump you wouldn't get thousands of people returning year after year. Ok, so you prefer Icmeler, that's fine but please down't run down a place just because you didn't like it. I don't like Marmaris but many people love it so I would never say it was a dump or that people shouldn't visit because what I like is completely different from what others like.
I am just giving my own opinion of this area as i found it.I know turkish people live there,they probably don't like the way its turning out just like me.I am also aware lots of people return year after year. Just a 10 minutes drive a cross the peninsular is Yalikavak ,that's my type of area.Do you think i was wrong to tell some about the beach and the harassment ,or should i say all superb go and enjoy!
Of course you aren't wrong to say what you thought of the beach or that you were harrassed, I just think saying somewhere is a dump is not exactly constructive criticism. I personally have never been harrassed in Gumbet.

I like Yalikavak too, it is a charming little resort, as are many of the other places on the Bodrum Peninsula, every place is different and they are all nice in their own way.

I know a lot of Turkish people who live in and around Gumbet and they are all very happy there so I don't really think your comments about that have any basis in fact.
R-Wal, I have to agree with Kedi. Also like Kedi, I have experience of actually living in Gumbet rather than holidaying there and know many of the residents of Gumbet well. To assume what Turkish people think about Gumbet isn't really helpful - nor is it accurate as many people living in Gumbet do so out of choice. Also, I have to say that Gumbet really is so much more than many holidaymakers see - behind the main roads near the beach, there is a thriving and friendly community and if they were to hear their area called a dump, well they wouldn't be best pleased.
Sorry I have to agree with R-Wal here, I have been going to Turkey for many many years now both with my husband and with my Daughter and her family, I have never been insulted in Marmaris or Icmeler but was insulted twice in Gumbet and so was my daughter.
I found the the Turkish shopkeepers rude and ignorant.
Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and YES, I think Gumbet is a dump "my opinion which I'm entitled too"
I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you have got to remember that it's a personal opinion. If Gumbet really was a dump do you think that so many people would return every year? When people ask me about Marmaris, I don't say it's horrible (even though I don't like it), I try to describe it factually as I realise that many people love Marmaris as much as I love Gumbet.

There are rude shopkeepers everywhere, but they're not all like that. Maybe you were just unlucky 'cos I certainly haven't experienced any rudeness in all the years and all the times I have been to Gumbet, nor did I in Marmaris either

JAK xx
I thought it was maybe just me that thought the shopkeepers in Gumbet were rude and not friendly.After going to Marmaris and Icmeler for a few years and love it there,I decided to try another resort,Gumbet,I was so disappointed,such a big difference.I want to try Olu Deniz,but Im afraid I will not enjoy it now. :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.