Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
My best bargain has to be a pair of genuine fake Nike flip flops for £2.50 5 years ago which are still going strong! :smile:
Always have in mind what you're actually prepared to pay for the thing you're haggling for. Go in with an offer just under half of what they ask and work your way up. If you get it, that's great. If they won't come down any further, you know that's their final price in a way. You can always walk away - if they still want to sell, they'll make another offer. One thing to remember is that if you make an offer and it's accepted, don't change your mind - that's not the way it's done.

Also, most of all, enter into the spirit of the thing and have fun.

Bartering/haggling in markets
This is expected in most resorts and markets as a general rule- ask the price then offer 1/3 of that price, when the shop owner refuses, offer 40-50% of the original price, gradually increase your price to meet in the middle, if the shop owner won't accept a reasonable offer, walk away - you will often be chased down the road by the trader who will offer you the item at your price or very close to it. If the trader takes the item off you and puts it back on the shelf, you know you have gone below his minimum price, either accept defeat and try a different shop, or increase your price to a mutually agreeable level. You'll know if you are being unreasonable from the persons body language. Generally don't pay more than 60% of the asking price and nver accept the first price offered. Remember you can also barter in a lot of shops (not supermarkets though!) and also in restuarants (before you order the meal though, NOT afterwards.) Here you don't generally argue the price, but more the free extras such as free bread or a free bottle of wine.

The above was posted on the old forums by Rami in 2003 and may be useful for people to read.

Dave
got hubby and myself designer jeans for around £20 a couple of years ago and there the best one's for fit and they sort them to suit your length while you wait or you can go back and collect them and that's without paying for them first they trust you come back and collect them .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.