Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Karen

It's 27years since I was there so I can't give you much up to date info. I expect you will visit the Grand Bazaar if just for the atmosphere and the Topkapi Palace should be worth a visit. I went on an excursion that was booked by the hotel, we took a boat trip down the Bosphorous then after getting off the boat we had a lunch in a nice restaurant, with a bit of shopping time, we were then met by a small coach that took us through some villages then over the bridge to the Asian side where we had some free time to shop and sight see. Although this was a long time ago I expect similar tours will be on offer.

Judith
I'd agree with Judith that these are must-sees. The trip up the Bosphorus is lovely, and make sure you get right up to where it is about to connect with the Black Sea. Some good accounts here
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Middle_East/Turkey/Istanbul_Ili/Istanbul-1837624/Things_To_Do-Istanbul-Bosphorus_River-BR-1.html
I got a local ferry from Eminönü harbour, although there are plenty of tourist boat trips (which cost more). The local ferry is very cheap, and criss-crosses the Bosphorus between the Asian and European sides. We got off at Anadolu Kavagi (last village north, takes about an hour and a half to get there) and ate at one of the fish restaurants overlooking the Black Sea, and had a wander before getting the ferry back a couple of hours later.

The Topkapi Palace I found fascinating (I'm not a massive museum fan), and it's a nice mix of being inside and out as you wander betwen the different parts to see. There's a cafe there also.

I'd add the Hagia Sophia (Aya Sofia) into the mix too, which is very close to the Blue Mosque. It's quite amazing inside.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sophia

I haven't been to the Çemberlitas Hammam, but I wish I'd squashed in a visit when I went earlier this year for a few days
http://www.cemberlitashamami.com.tr/html/en/
thanks for your replies, our hotel over looks the hagia sofia so we will definitely be visiting that , i also had the topkapi palace on my list of places to visit. the bosphorus trip sounds great. how long did you stay in istanbul for, we are hoping a week is enough as i could have opted for 9 nights but thought ellie might get bored.
is there any beaches just outside istanbul that are safe as a day on the beach might please ellie and a day of relaxing half way through a busy scheudule might be a good idea all round.
it will be ellies birthday whilst there so need to find something extra special for that day, my mother is meeting us there and its her birthday too lol :duh

my mother and i will go shopping and visit the grand bazaar, but i know the men and ellie will hate that :rofl
Don't forget the Dolmabace Palace and the cisterns! Also, if you are there over a weekend a trip to Camlicka (?sp) park is worthwhile as all the wedding parties go there to have their photos taken. Am really jealous - we have not been to Istanbul for about 10 years but we loved it!
prawn we will be there thurs to thurs so that park sounds interesting, my mother has mentioned the cisterns, is that some sort of underground water, sounds like there will be plenty to keep us occupied, i love city breaks
I was only there for four days, and I managed to fit in plenty. The nearest beach area I've found out about is Kilyos, about 25 km on the Black Sea coast on the European side of the Bosphorus. As it's quite near to the city, I'd imagine it gets packed at weekends, it sounds as if people who live in Isanbul use it a lot for a get away from the city.

Sultanahmet is a great area to stay in, and has plenty of places to eat sitting out and cafes and a couple of bars. I felt very safe wandering around there in an evening.
phoebe that sounds great for a relaxing day weather permitting, ill try and find some info on kilyos thanks

karen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.