France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Its a long drive down to La Carabasse, I did it in about 14 hours from Calais with quite a few rest breaks as my wife didn`t fancy driving so it was down to just me and Sat Nav. Used the A10, A71 and A75 (the A75 is a free motorway) Tarn Gorge motorways and not the A6, A7 as the scenery was breathtaking especially the Auvergne Volcano`s. You can park up on site and walk down to the beach so its a great location. Lots of bars (pricey), restaurants and takeaways (there is one that did a spicy pizza that was only about £4 and we took it back to the mobile home) and a wine "Cave" near to the beach where you can buy wine to takeaway in plastic bottles (really nice red and not a lot of money).
Nearby there are plenty of places to visit like Beziers, Cap d`Adge (nudist beaches), Narbonne, Carcassone (nice castle), its quiet and less commercial than the Cote D`Azur. I`d go back again and travel like i did again, I drove down from Calais at 01:00 in the morning and benefitted from empty roads until about 07:00, quite a few 24/7 petrol stations on the way as well
Thanks for the reply. Can I ask at what time of the year you visited La Carabasse?
I'm going in July and have never been to France. I have tried to learn some French, but I'm not that great at that. Did the people in the park speak English, and was it busy (too busy?)? I'm flying in to Montpellier airport and hoping for an airport transfer.
I really appreciate your comments, many thanks
We usually go in May or September to France as its very quiet then and the weather is usually OK, not all tourist facilities are open then, it suits us though . In August the sites are heaving as the French prefer this time of year. You might find the site fairly quiet if its the start of July or more busy if its near the end of July. We visited Montpelier on a day out, its a University town and quite busy, I don`t know how you were travelling to La Carabasse from the airport but I think this might be on a bus or coach route. Its not very far from the N112 very roughly half way between Sete and Beziers. The seaside village is called Vias sur Plage from memory. "Vias on the beach"
Our French isn`t brilliant but you`ll get by okay here, some menus for example have German, English translations and someone at camp reception can write down phrases if you ask them.
A car is useful to visit local areas and hypermarkets but if you don`t have one then this site is in a very good pedestrian location and has small supermarkets in the village. Other sites in France we`ve been to really need a car to do shopping as campsite shops are expensive and limited in their ranges. hope this helps ?
Hi there i stayed at the carabasse the last two weeks of july last year with my one and six year olds and they loved the campsite. A lot of the reception staff are english so there is no problems there and thats the same for the entertainment team as well who do excellent shows in the evening. Any thing else you want to know just ask.
Hi tina,
As has previously been said, this is a good campsite. We have been a couple of times, last year in mid June and the site was just starting to liven up, although it wasn't too busy at that time. We took our 5 yr old grandson with us and he loved it, especially the large swimming pool and the kid's club.
You can manage on this site without a car, due to the close proximity to the beach and the few local shops and restaurants, but with so much to see and do in the area you should really try to hire a car for a few days.
Have a good holiday. I'm sure you and your family will have a good time.

Degs.
Visited La Carabasse a couple of years ago. The kids were 11 and 9 then and as with my previous Haven (Siblu) holidays had a fab time.
The site is quite large but hospitable, and the pool is enormous compared with most sites we've stayed at.
The girls and boys of the team bent over backwards to help (as most siblu reps do). Prepare yourself to get involved in the entertainment!!

Off site Beziers is worth a visit as is Montpellier if you fancy a drive. Pezenas though is a hidden gem. The market here is awesome and the actual town is a throwback to the typical french towns of yesteryear.

If you're driving down then make sure you use the A75/E 11 - I swear to god the Milau viaduct is the most impressive piece of road (sad I know) I have ever seen. If you have time, come off the motorway after you have crossed the gorge and drop into Milau for a look up to where you have just been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:bow
Sorry Tina, got a bit excited at the thought of a viaduct. Didn't read your thread properly and didn't notice you were flying. Could you do us a favour. When you get there ask one of the reps if they ever found my sunglasses which I left by the pool?

By the way, most of the staff speak english, as do most of the locals, but they don't like to admit it. If you go with the typical British mentality of speaking slowly and shouting then expect little conversation. However, if you try to speak a little French (and ask for help as if you want to learn) then you won't have many problems.

Bon vacances
If anyone can assist by posting a review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
:D Hi
See you have had quite a few replys but i thought i would add my bit! Been to La Carrabasse for the last 6 years - lovely site...my only bit of advice - try speaking to some of the owners of the caravans when you are there - they all rent their vans privately and are half the cost of Siblu - not to mention that all the owners vans are brand new and fully equipped with all the luxuries. We did travel with Haven for the first year but always returned privately ever since. The Orange bar down the road is great and shows all the English footie if you are interested - The fair across the road is worth a visit - if your bank balance can handle it - very expensive and watch your purses & bags...Entertainment staff are great and we are still in touch with quite a few of them - Lifeguards are great but DO NOT DIVE!!! you will have a whistle blown at you - another really annoying thing - no matter how long you are on site and how often you use the pool - they will still ask to see your pass!! - we usually stayed for 5 weeks, you think they would recognise us, not to mention having to walk through the shower to get into the pool - annoying when you have just dried off and pop out for a drink! Shop on site is very expensive but roasted chicken and chips are delicous and reasonable price. Security staff are great and site is pretty quiet after midnight..This is the first year we are not returning and that is only because are children are now a bit older and i don't think the site is that great for older teenagers - no late night discos or seperate place for them to go...

If i can think of anything else i'll let you know - or if you think of anything just ask away...enjoy your hols - i'm sure you will

Lisax :P
hi guys, i'm going to this site on june 17th 2009 and am really looking forward to it we have 2 kids aged 6 and 9yrs (boy and girl) we have booked a private transfer, has anyone info on things to do and see without hiring a car as we are both nervous of driving abroad.

thanks, martina
Hi Martina, I stayed with my family at the same time last year. La Carabasse is on the edge of a seaside strip, where there are lots of restaurants, some bars and tourist shops. The beaches are also very close, and La Carabasse has its own beach bar, within a few minutes walk. You can also walk to Vias Old Town (about 20mins), which is really, really pretty.

There's lots on parc, including a huge pool, so you probably won't be venturing far anyway. There are lots of games organised around the pool area, and I would advise getting there around mid morning to bag a space under the giant sun cover. There's also a small football pitch which was popular with the kids when we were on parc, and the various kid's clubs were well attended.

We hired bikes from the bike hire at the front of the parc. I can't remember how much we paid, but I thought it was very reasonable at the time.

Driving in France is really easy, and La Carabasse is close to a main autoroute which goes to all of the main towns along the coast. You'll have a great time, we really loved it.
Bon voyage!
Hi all. I suppose this might be off topic but we have just returned from a 3 night break in Domaine Litteau at the Siblu site (near Bayeux). We found everything quite expensive around this area (between 14 and 17 euros for 4 drinks; 3 small beers and a coke). Just wondering if this is the norm in France?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.