General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Not biting, try harder.........can we get back to the euro and why its high and affecting holidaymakers.?

Sanjiiiiiiiii
In my defence i said NORTHERN manufacturing ... i wasn't being specific to Scotland! Also, my point about the B of E committee is perfectly valid - it should have representation from the devolved nations for as long as the UK remains

That's my whack, i'll say no more! :D
Oi, Leave it!!! Or it'll get out of hand and the last thing we need is Mel Gibson running around with a kilt on again!!!

p.s. Lets hope a few Scots can win 'England' a medal at the olympics!!!
MarkJ HT Mod wrote:
We're going a little off topic here guys and gals.

MarkJ HT Mod

Perhaps I should have rephrased that to going a lot off topic.

Last chance guys/gals before it will get locked.

MarkJ HT Mod
When I said it was low I meant it's low to the pound! As in less euro's to the pound!

I think the lowest I've seen it in previous years was about 1.33 and in those years it came back up so I'm hoping it'll kick on again this year!
I've got to go back too many years to remember the exchange rate being as it is today.
It's been pretty stable for the last few years and the first signs of the euro getting stronger or the pound falling, happened last September whilst we were in Torremolinos.

I'm not suggesting Northern Rock is to blame because I know why the NR fiasco happened, and that road leads back to America and sub-prime lending, plus interbanking rates, plus being unable to deposit X amount into the Bank of England at the end of each days business, but when an institution like a bank wobbles, then it affects the financial market, and whilst NR is a toy-town bank, it's still a bank and when a bank gets into trouble, it has a world wide knock-on effect.

When the fiasco happened, the rate plummeted overnight and it went from €143 to €136 to the pound and it has never recovered since, but again I'm not suggesting NR is to blame, I think it just set the wheels turning or its demise just happened at the wrong time and the American Banks pulled in their reigns even tighter...one bank in New York is restricting withdrawals to a certain amount of dollars....that should tell us that they have problems, which affects the pound sterling and subsequently, the euro.

I hung onto £500 in travellers cheques, thinking it would recover by the time I went to Benidorm at Xmas"¦..it just shows how much I know :oops: because it was even lower and the best I got was €132"¦.on one day only.
I wish now I'd changed the 500 quid in Torremolinos"¦.but some you win and some you lose. :que

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • Edited by Sanji 2008-01-17 19:43:13
yep, so technically the 60 euros I have left over from last year will feel like a tiny bit more for me now!

I think since the euro's been in every time we've gone away it's always been hovering around the 1.42 mark! We won't be going away again until July so fingers crossed from me till then! :)
We are going away in a few weeks and hanging on hoping the euro is going to rise before we change our money :scratch: . Fingers crossed
I have some euro travellers cheques left off last year so I suppose I have scored this time (makes a change) but once they are gone?! lets hope by the time the holiday season comes around the rate will have recovered. CBG
Hi
I am going to Tenerife in a months time. Would I get a better rate for euro if I took cash and changed it in Tenerife or has anyone any suggestions who is giving a good rate here.
M
Hubby and I are off to the Algarve for a week on Wednesday. We got €115 for £91.55. That's awful, works out at €1.2562 to £1. I've never known it to be so low.
it's not just the Euro that's low. I have just bought some Australian Dollars, and I only got $2.01 to the £, compared to $2.45 this time last year. :cry
I have some shares due out next year via my French company and they are in Euros ... so you will excuse me as someone not going abroad this year if i'm quite happy for them to remain that little bit lower! :really
A year ago when I bought my holiday euros from M&S, a euro only cost me £0.68 GBP. Checking their website again today, a euro would now cost me £0.78 GBP :yikes so it has risen in value by almost 15% in just one year. Certainly not a good time to be buying property in the Eurozone at the moment.
I'm still hanging on to buy my Easter holiday spends, but it's been hovering around 1.28 - 1.31 for a long while now :| It's just lucky we've booked all-inclusive so we won't need a huge amount of spends.
I have booked direct with the hotel so whatever the rate is when I check-out in June is important to me.CBG
NeilTheBeaver

Is that in Gran Canaria PR ??? :)
IF YES, is it the shop on the left going into the commercial center, or the one about 1/2 way in on the right as they normally give good rates :)
going to spain in august and i keep checking the rates but no rises as yet, does anyone think it may rise in time for my hols or is this the best rate we are likely to get for a while.
As much as I would love it too, (holidays in August) I really don't think the Euro is going to improve that much in the foreseeable. :cry

But, I keep checking the rate and live in hope that I am proved wrong. (I usually am, so fingers crossed! ;) )
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.