Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
In my opinion, you would have more chance of finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than receive compensation!
I can imagine how annoying it was and still is for you but at least you enjoyed your holiday.
You hear about others experiencing delays and lost luggage etc, you hope it it will never happen to you and when it does, you have more sympathy for them. We had a 7 hour delay last year and it was annoying but I thought everyone else on the plane is in the same boat(!) but losing your suitcase is more personal, isn't it?
I wish you all the best in your quest. Please let us know how you get on. x
As far as the flight delays are concerned it is just one of those things. You were given vouchers for food and drink so they would appear to have fulfilled their obligations. I would hazard that they actually expected an even longer delay from the canaries which is why they gave you the vouchers.

Lost luggage is a hazard that we all face. If it had been lost on the outward leg then you would have been able to claim for the purchase of essential items but not the other way.

I doubt you will get any hard cash in compensation, but it might be worthwhile trying a claim. The fact they have cocked up by sending your luggage to the wrong person is a nuisance and inconvenience, you might just get a £50.00 voucher to say sorry.

fwh
To be honest I am more annoyed about my case more tham anything else, it will have traveled to more places than me now :rofl .
There is an EU standard which cuts in at 2 hours delay for short flights and 3 hours for longer ones but even so you are only entitled to meals and refreshments appropriate to the delay - which you got. .

If when the luggage turns up it has some damage or a problem caused by the length of time it's taken (say something has been stained and it's dried solid) you might have grounds.

As FWH points out if your luggage had been delayed on the way out it would be a different story as you would have had to buy extra things.

What would be more gratifying to me would be a proper explanation of how a properly labelled and checked in case could get loaded onto the wrong plane and then redirected to the wrong house! The beauty of this is that it causes them more hassle than writing a cheque and it won't be excluded in their T&C's. Play on the security angle - if you hadn't turned up at the gate they'd have offloaded the bag as a security risk but sending it off without you apparently isn't. You could waste hours of their time and you don't have to provide them with refreshments!! The old joke is trying to claim the Loyalty Miles for the distance the bag has been.....
we were delayed 18.5 hours from m/c to toronto with thomas cook, should of departed at 16.20, at 18.30 we got a food voucher for £6. At 21.30 it was announced we were to stay at hotel near the airport, we had to walk to get there over a duel carriage way with our cases!!!!
No food was available at the hotel , just a breakfast in the morning. We then had to walk back to M/c airport and check our cases in we eventually took off at 10.55 as being in Canada for 5 days losing a day was devastating.

Do we have a case for compensation ???

:que
had 18hr delay to turkey with t.cook from mcx 2007.we had food voucher.then overnight in hotel.lost a days hol.all we could claim was £20 each off insurance for flight delay.

percy123.
bluemoon

from a flight regs point of view you were entitled to food in the evening (which you got, if a bit tight), hotel for the night (yes) and breakfast in the morning (again yes). You were also entitled to 2 phone calls or faxes if you needed to make arrangements connected to the delay (so not just to ring home and tell everyone!). You were also entiled to transfer to/from the hotel as required but if it was on the airport complex that may be hard to argue given the probelms of getting vehicles close to the terminal. If you were booked flight only that's it!

If you were on a package you might have some claim under the T&Cs that the tour operator issued, there may (repeat, may) be something there about losing a night's use of the Canadian hotel. They might refund some amount for not getting everything you should have. I use the word refund because one word they will never use is compensation, that would take them into a legal minefield and they know the law too well to get caught out there. They may also offer vouchers as a goodwill gesture, other words to keep them out of the minefield!

As Percy says, your travel insurance is more likely to cover you for a delay like this. You will need documented proof from TC that you were delayed more than 12 hours and you should claim as soon as you got back.
the reps in turkey had all the relevant documents waiting for us when we landed,so that we could claim for delay as soon as we got home.

percy123.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.