America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hawaii info
6 Posts
I came back two weeks ago!

I also had been told that Honolulu/Waikiki was like "Benidorm", but was pleasantly surprised. I think most people who say this have either never been or stayed in the wrong hoel/area.

Honolulu is the main City but you probably won't be staying there. Waikiki is the main tourist area and it is built up but never the less enjoyable. Busy, a resort that is easy to walk around, high end shops (mainly for tourists from Japan and Korea who seem to go mad on these shops), typical US chain restaurants and plenty to do. I was waking up each morning and looking out to sea at all the surfers who would sit patiently for a wave to ride to shore on!

I only had the opportunity to visit Oahu and Maui but quickly understood how diverse the islands are and that if you go all the way to the Hawaiian Islands you really need to explore several areas and island hop. If you just go to Waikiki the journey is wasted.

Not sure how long your vacation time is but would suggest you consider flying to either LA or Las Vegas for a few days to break the journey from the UK, then fly to Oahu (Honolulu) and stay in Waikiki for 3/4 days, then move on another of the Hawaiian Island (Kauai or Big Island will be nex on my list).
Hubby and I stayed in Waikiki for 1 day then flew to Big island (Kona airport) and stayed in the Hilton waikoloa. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels but this one topped the lot. It was absolutely fantastic, have a look at their website. It depends what you want really. If you don't mind being in a really quiet place then I'd say go to the Big island however if you want to see things and go walking e.t.c then stick to Waikiki, what we saw was lovely.
When you go to Oahu, don't forget to visit the Arizona Memorial which we found extremely interesting and very moving. We were very surprised at the large number of Japanese visitors to the site - would have loved to know what they were thinking. Also try and do a trip round the island. We had an excellent guide who as well as pointing out historical places also showed us the houses of some of the stars who live there. We also saw where they filmed 'Lost' and as my hubby said, why didn't they walk just five minutes down the beach and they would have been in Waikiki!!!
also do the trip,to the polynesian cultural centre.alovely day out.
i posted some photos,of our trip in 06,i'm sure theyl'l still be there,if you take a look.
tracy
Many thanks for all the replies.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.