America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I think the best thing is to check how much a package from a TA would cost then start checking with airlines for flights. I did a DIY trip to New York last year and found it very easy. Once you have some flight prices start checking hotel sites. There's some hotel recommendations on the HT New York forum and http://www.tripadvisor.com has lots of reviews on different hotels. If you find you can do it cheaper yourself book your flights and hotels soon as August is school holiday time in both the UK and USA so flights/hotels may get booked up. One good thing about hotels in NYC is you don't normally have to pay a deposit and if you find a better offer nearer the depature date you cancel without charge. I stayed at the Radio City Apartments, a few minutes walk from Times Square and was very satisfied with them, they have studios, one and two bed apartments(sofa bed in the living room) plus a well equiped kitchenette for making snacks or even meals if you want to stay in a few evenings. http://www.radiocityapartments.com New York hotels aren't particularly cheap but I would think you could do DIY cheaper than a package.
Thanks for that Judith.

Ive already been doing a bit of research. The problem is there is only one airline flying direct from Belfast - Continental.

Priced a package for the three of us working out at £3030 for the week - asked about flights only which are £530 each return.

So I think I will book the flights now - Ive been looking on Alpharooms and hotels seem to be working out at £1000+ for something central for the three of us, so its working out about £500 cheaper to do it separately.

Still looking at other sites and the hotels direct also. :wave:
Hi Tootsie,

I think most people would agree that in general you'll get cheaper booking DIY
In my opinion, by getting a package deal, everyone pays for the hotel, by booking DIY you pay once for the hotel, per night, which is where I think the majority of the saving comes in.

I had a quick look on Netflights.com for you and there are flights from Belfast for £497 in August, that price looks favourable against flights from Manchester for instance, which were even dearer.

Check out http://www.hotels.com for hotels, they are normally very competetive

Cheers,

TC
Teecee thanks for that helpful information and the link which Im about to check out now! :wave:

Those flights you saw for under £500, would you mind telling me which airline that was?

Yesterday I tried Continental every day for the first two weeks of August and it was coming out at £570, however "Amercian Holidays" said they would do the same flight for £530.

But £497 is even better!
Hi Tootsie,

It was Continental, leaving on the 8th Aug coming back 15th from Belfast (obviously I didn't know your exact dates) :D

http://www.netflights.com

Cheers,

TC
Thank you SO much for that Teecee - its the same flights I was pricing through American Holidays but coming up MUCH cheaper on netflights. You have saved me about £100!!!

I will be booking them and at present am having fun looking through your link for the hotels, I can probably leave that for a while so long as the flights are booked!!

Very many thanks to yourself and Judith - I feel so much better about doing it separately after talking to you both.

Youve been brilliant! :cheers
Hi,

Just as an addendum re: flight prices: I flew to NY from Belfast with Continental in December, 10 days before Christmas. The friend I was travelling with was super-organised and booked her ticket in January (08) for £360. I was looking to book in May-June (08), when the price was spiralling up and down between £400-550. Eventually one of my frequent 'checks' coincided with the price coming in at £360 too, in mid-June. My point being, it is possible to book cheaper flights for a holiday season if you hold your nerve and have time to keep checking every couple of days or so (easier said with hindsight, I know!).

BWs and have a great time, wish I was going back ;)

PS I booked my tickets with Ebookers.
Thanks for that Choirgirl - I know what you mean about keeping your nerve, but with my luck it would just keep going up and up!

Just a quick update for Teecee - thanks to your info about netflights we have now booked for the Halloween week for £350 each return.

It was so much cheaper than August yet still in the school holiday, as we wouldnt take him out of school during termtime.

Im so glad I posted on here for help - I asked American Holidays and Continental if they would price match nightflights price but they refused.........so I took me business elsewhere!

So still having fun looking at hotels but the main bit is booked

ta very much to you all :wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.