Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
im sure if its all booked altogether through one agent then its classed still as a package deal as they have put together a package for you if this is the case then i would say you have more rights re the accommodation ,transfers etc and they should be liable for the costs in changing this accommodation and transfer , im not 100% but i wouldnt be happy myself , the best person to contact is ros the HT recommended travel solicitor she will be able to give you good advice
I've just noticed a paragraph in their "Important Information". It starts
Some services on this website are provided through direct links with other travel related companies websites
. Alarm Bell!! If this is what you used then you could have big problems because the link on greatlatedeals would be nothing more than an advert for that other company and anything booked directly with different companies will not be a package. Your comment about several different receipts isn't making me feel any better about this.
This might be what is called a 'dynnamic package' rather than a 'package holiday' and therefore possibly not covered in law by the package tour regs ?

I am no an expert, but I think there are subtle differences. You need professional advice on this and I recommed contacting a travel solicitor, Glynis has given the details above.
UPDATE:

They called today to say they can change the accommodation to suit the new flights for a charge.

I stated I wasn't happy and the girl said there is not really another option but to pay it.

I had a little rant about how I am not happy to pay as I would have went directly to the companies myself rather than let greatlatedeals take a profit - but I didn't for what I thought was the security they were offering me by allowing me to pay it as a package rather than individually which meant I paid a deposit and then full balance.

The girl kinda panicked (was a shame - it wasn't her fault) and went and spoke to her manager.

She came back and offered me a 5% discount from the increase in price - which is nothing considering I believe I shouldn't have to pay.

Just wanting some opinions....

Does them backing down a bit and offering me a discount enough for me to say they have accepted what I said about it being a package enough for me to demand they fork out the extra?
This is not a package holiday as per the legal cover that a package gives. This is what they call dynamic package without the cover of a package.
I think you may need to bite the bullet and accept the best deal you can get from them.

Sue
It doesn't sound like you've got package holiday regulation protection so their offer is probably as good as it will get.

In future, if you book seperately book the hotel either direct or from a reservation service that doesn't want paying up front. Usually your liability if you cancel will be the first nights charge and not the whole week although you can often cancel up to the previous night with no loss. This way if the airline messes you about you have flexibility.
Just an update.

I have pretty much accepted that I will be paying the extra on the rooms, but having booked two one bedroom apartments, self catering, with balcony/terrace that is what I expected to pay extra for.

They got back to me today and told me the increase in price will be for rooms with no balcony or terrace.

Does anyone know where I stand on this? I am so annoyed and don't see the point in having a room in Marmaris in peak season without somewhere to cool down in our apartment!
This is not a package holiday as per the legal cover that a package gives. This is what they call dynamic package without the cover of a package.

If they put together the holiday and hold an atoll license then they are your operator.
There doesn't seem to be any mention of an ATOL licence on their website, they do mention that they may act as agents for ATOL tour operators (presumably for the true late deals which the operators are dumping) but in this case they just acted as booking agents for flights and hotels which were invoiced seperately. The way "holidays" are shown on their site suggest they know exactly what they are doing and how to avoid the Package regulations - underneath the headline price for a "holiday" they show it broken down as flight + hotel with seperate prices. They claim to be ABTA members so it would be possible to complain to them but I don't see it achieving more than a slap on the wrist sometime in the Autumn which isn't going to help Stephanie.

Stephanie - have you paid for the accomodation change and then found out that they've conned or do you have the option to cancel it completely and get something from someone else? Asking to cancel part of the deal may have been an interesting tactic, if they were stupid enough to say that you can't because it's all linked together it would have provided proof that this is a Package and they are liable!!
Thank you everyone!

FINALLY I was allowed to cancel the apartments I had booked through greatlatedeals.co.uk. I got the hotel I wanted (and had originally booked), rooms I wanted - all for a much cheaper price than quoted and have already recieved a first class service from the new provider.

I would like to add that I would NOT recommend greatlatedeals or travel republic (same company) to anybody.

They play you a message while waiting to speak to customer service stating they aim to deal with any issues in two days. I am aware this is not always possible and accept anything up to a week to resolve issues... but it has been over a month since I was told of the issues concerning my holiday and have just had them resolved over the weekend as the senior customer service advisor takes 3 hour lunches apparently, which I assume was just an avoidance of my calls.

Greatlatedeals? YES - you get a great deal and they change it at the last minute!
  • Edited by luci HT Mod 2008-05-26 19:48:34
    To remove personal name
Really pleased you are now sorted :tup

first class service from the new provider.
Who's your new provider as it would be nice for them to be named as a recommendation?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.