Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hi and welcome to HT!

When you made the booking you entered into a contract. This contract would say that any deposit will be lost if you decide to cancel a holiday. Low deposits usually have the clause that the full depot is payable if cancelling too.

Check the T's and C's as your only get out clause maybe that these T's and C's state that a contract is only confirmed once a confirmation invoice has been issued.

Has this confirmation invoice been issued?

Mark :)
Thanks for your reply

I booked the holiday with Olympic over the phone on the Thursday, my husband was notified of his travel details on the Friday (he was originally told he didn't have to go but that changed) so I phoned Olympic first thing Saturday morning at that stage I obviously hadn't received anything in writing due to there not being time, that is when they told me the above, about 5 days later I received the written invoice.
In that case, the following may apply to you:

The aim of this section of the holiday-truth website is to enable holidaymakers to get advice and assistance as soon as possible on any holiday complaints or problems encountered.

Our members will be able to offer you advice on how best to deal with your holiday complaints and how to deal with the Tour Operators. However please remember that this will be non qualified advice. We therefore suggest you seek professional assistance from someone qualified in Travel Law.

We have teamed up with Ros Fernihough, Travel Law Solicitor, to provide the best information available.

Ros has offered our members free impartial legal advice. Please note that Ros does not read or post on this board any contact to her must be made via :-

Tel :- 01922 621114

You will have to pay the rest of the deposit if you cancel the holiday.
Its not their fault you cannot go.

Could you not go later in the year
As a side, i'm not familiar with any holiday companies 'suing' for any deposits not received, and find it unlikely they would pursue you for the rest of the money (how much is it btw?).

Does anybody have any experiences that are contrary to this?
They will pursue and may even send debt collectors.
I think in this case sam, flyingblue has paid the "low deposit" which the T/os offer to encourage people to book The full deposit balance is usually due within so many weeks of booking . It always comes with a clause that the full deposit is due in the event of cancellation. ;)
It always comes with a clause that the full deposit is due in the event of cancellation.

I agree - To be fair the TOs are entitled to enforce this clause otherwise everyone would do it.

What sort of insurance cover do you have? Is there a clause in there that covers?

Elsewhere someone has posted advising people read their insurance documents and ensure that they have cover for their own circumstances.

Perhaps hubby should speak to his employer and see if there is any chance of changing things around.

fwh
They will pursue and may even send debt collectors.

I know the could do, and not debating the morals etc, just pondering if they have actually done this - i.e. does anyone know first hand?

I actually dislike low deposits immensiley, and do not believe it encourages sensible 'holidaying' which can be a big expense.
Ive often taken advantage of low deposit schemes, they can help you to budget, but have always been made aware that should I cancel I would need to pay the balance of the deposit.

These are just introductory offers to entice you to book.

I think your best best is to try to transfer what you have paid to another holiday.

Someone at work cancelled a Florida holiday for one year and they let her transfer it to a holiday the following year about, 11 months later than her original date, which I thought was pretty generous of them. Think she had to pay the usual amendment fees. This was with Virgin though.
Yes you will have to pay the whole deposit and is always clearly in any terms and conditions.
As already said if they allowed people to just book and cancel they they would have thousands doing it.
I don't think your insurance would pay up in this case. They will if illness etc is the problem for the illness of a close relative.
I fear you will just have to bit the bullet!

Sue
I would suggest that rather than cancel the holiday move to another date. You will still occur the change of booking fee but this will be around £25-£30 per person rather than losing your entire deposit. I had to do this a couple of times and although paying out the change fee is a pain, its much less of a pain that losing far more
Seeing that your husbands work has caused the problem i would get them to refund you the deposit or tell them that the holiday will go ahead. I dont think they could sack him for refusing to loose that amount of money.

They must be able to sort it out their end. What if he suddenly went sick got chicken pox at a late age, or broke a leg and could not go. Or if there was a
emergency at the airport and all flights were cancelled.

I do not see why you should suffer because your husbands work cannot get their act together. :que
Assuming that your husband had those down as holiday dates, it is rather harsh of his company not to help out. I think they are your best bet I'm afraid.
wendywu wrote:
Seeing that your husbands work has caused the problem i would get them to refund you the deposit or tell them that the holiday will go ahead. I dont think they could sack him for refusing to loose that amount of money.

Slightly off topic, but please do remember that as employees we are entitled to holiday days, but it is not up to the employee to dictate to the employer when these can be taken.

Legally speaking, you will probably find that the Company can do what they did to the OP's husband as unfair as it may seem.

Legally speaking, you will probably find that the Company can do what they did to the OP's husband as unfair as it may seem.

Yes they can, legally - but any decent employer would see that an employee did not suffer because of their action
I totally agree with you but as we don't know the circumstances of the OP's husband's work situation I thought I made by post in response to wendywu's post advising the OP:

Seeing that your husbands work has caused the problem i would get them to refund you the deposit or tell them that the holiday will go ahead.

I've seen people sacked for less before and if you're not employed for more than 1 year with an employer even an Industrial Tribunal will not entertain a request for a hearing unless it is an unlawful dismissal.

Yes be careful with that one. I've worked in HR (Personnel in the old days) all my career.

You do have a holiday entitlement, but it's at your employers discretion as to when you can take it.

There is no harm in explaining the situation and seeing if they would recompsense your for the 237 pounds, a good employer or large employer probably would.

But I would never advise just going ahead and taking the annual leave regardless you would officially be absent without leave. Where I work under 10 days is misconduct and over 10 days gross misconduct, the later being dismissable.
But if they have said that he would not be going abroad and could book a holiday on those dates then i think they would have to make sure he was not out of pocket by their actions. Other wise companies could say could not take your holiday a few days befor you were due to depart.

I think i would contact the citizens advice and see where i stand legally within the law. There must be some rules as companies could use telling people they cannot go on their booked holidays as a method of victimisation. :really
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.