Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
I know my sister has stayed here. She gets back from Corfu tomorrow night ,so I'll get her to post a reply over the weekend.
Thanks Helen. That would be great.
hello Scampy,

got back from Corfu last night and am replying to you as my sister said I would. I don't know how much help I will be as it was 4 or 5 years ago that we stayed at the Ilios. Myself, husband and son (then 15 or 16?) holidayed there in August. All I can tell you is my opinion of the place then. IDEAL! The accomodation was basic (as it is in most of Greece), but spotless. There were two pools, one nice and quiet and the other main pool with a swim-up bar and music played throughout the day. This was by no means rowdy and is where we chose to spend our days. We were self catering and made full use of the varied menu at the poolside snack bar. The hotel and appartments were in a quiet spot just off the main road that was lined with restaurants, tavernas and the occasional music bar. The beach was a long narrow stretch where the sea was good for swimming. We tended to eat out at night before having a drink or two in one of the bars. Sometimes we would head back to the Ilios after our meal as there was occasional entertainment put on. They also had a large screen T.v and a quiz machine in their lounge/reception area. We had a really great holiday there helped by the fantastic Greek sunshine. Hope this is of some help to you. Shirley
Hi Scampy,

Hubby and I are off to the Illios on 8th June for 2 weeks. Will let you know my thoughts on return.

Are you self-catering?
Hi Jinty,
That would be great thanks.
We are going half board as it was cheaper than self catering ( can't work out why) but we plan to eat out some nights.

Sal
Shirley,
Thanks for that. It sounds great just what I need.
Can you remember how much they charged for the air-con and also do they do late checkout rooms and how much they cost.

Sal
Hi Sal,
had no use for the late checkout rooms so sorry can't tell you how much they cost. When we were self catering at the Ilios I recall that there wasn't any air con but they did hire fans. We didn't hire any as we took our own. It's probably changed now. Did it mention air con in the brochure?
Hi Shirley,
It said in the brochure that air-con can be hired but did not give a price for it. Some reviews have also said to hire the air-con as the mozzies are bad here. Never used to be bothered by them until 2 years ago now they seem to like me.
Did you hire a car in Kos? I have never driven abroad but have been told Kos is very good for driving.

Sal
Hi Scampy ! I've been to Kos twice once to Kos Town and the other to Kardamena. On each occasion the men hired motorbikes and us ladies were pillion passengers. It was a great way to see the island. The roads are well signposted and it's easy to get from one place to the other. Also the roads are relatively safe when compared with some other countries.
Sorry Scampy I forgot to say that there are some brilliant cycling tracks in Kos. We hired a bicycle one day and when we told the rep where we'd been we discovered that we'd actually ridden 8 miles - and that from someone who hadn'd ridden a bike for years. There was 6 of us and my husband said we must have looked like the Von Trapp family as the bikes actually had the old type of bells and baskets on.
Helen,
Lol... That must have been some sight.

How much did the bikes/mopeds cost?
Are the mozzies in Kos as bad as people are saying.

Sal
Hi Helen

That's what we plan to do. Thought about either a car or a scooter, but got too much negative feedback so got to go with the voices of experience! At least with a bike you can 'drop' it down at the roadside easy enough, and even if you are on the wrong side of the road by mistake you shouldn't cause too much of a hazard (hopefully).

Cheers,
Janet
I can't remember the hiring fees but I know it wasn't expensive. We hire a bike every time we go abroad and we've never found it expensive. You wouldn't catch me on the back of a bike in this country mind - the roads are much too busy
hubby hired a scooter from just up the road from the Ilios and went for a ride with our (then 15 yr old) son riding pillion. They went a fair distance and had a great time seeing the countryside whilst I was quite happy with my book at the poolside. The three of us hired bicycles another day and went on quite a long cycle, stopping for a swim and some lunch along the way. I am quite nervous on the roads but I was fine cycling through Kos. Not being a profficient cyclist I made sure hubby led the way with me in the middle and our son quite happily bringing up the rear. We had a good couple of hours enjoying the sunshine. I would definitely think about hiring some sort of transport if I was going again.
Thanks for all the help. I am very nervous on roads abroad but I am being told by work friends that Kos has good roads by comparison to other European countries so will give something a try. :D
Jinty,
Not long until you go :wink:
Where do you fly from?
HI Scampy

WELL excited! Got my tickets in today......... makes it seem so much closer somehow when they arrive :hyper

We are flying from Glasgow, and 3 weeks today we should be up, up, and away!!!!

After reading all the reports about Kos airport on coming back we decided to book our seats in advance, means we only have to be at Glasgow 90 mins. before flying out, (tho to tell the truth, I love being at the airport, Big Kid). It was more to make sure we were together coming back.

Seems to be absolute madness on return, and we are definately gonna get a taxi well before the tour buses start arriving at Kos. Let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Janet
we have just returned from Kos my first experience of kos airport well here go's there was 5 flights due out within 3 hrs passengers for all flights were arriving at the airport and separated into ques depending on the flight then fed in to the terminal building 6 at a time from each Que you then joined the Que's for the baggage scanner (they only have 2) again being fed half a dozen at a time from each Que in turn then to booking in and baggage weighing only 3 gates open, then back outside for a while as there isn't much room in the terminal Finlay through passport control as you enter the 1&2 gate area and wait to board it was organized chaos glad we don't travel in the school holidays

wizard
Seems to be absolute madness on return, and we are definately gonna get a taxi well before the tour buses start arriving at Kos. Let you know how it goes.

Janet,
The time will fly in for you I still have 9 weeks today and I can hardly wait. I am also travelling from Glasgow.
Will you be trying to book a late check out?
I am still in 2 minds what to do regarding taxi or coach.We went to Cyprus last year and I dont think it can be any worse than that. This was not due to the airport but due to Thomsons booking all flights through the same desks 3 of them, seemingly they are trying to save money, stood in a massive Q for hours and barely had time to go to the toilet before we had to board the plane and we were the lucky ones the people going to Newcastle were behind us in the Q and their flight was before ours.
Any info you can give me on your return would be a great help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.