Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
hilton sharks bay
359 Posts
hi jim . we were at HSB in April and will be back next year.

there is a cash machine in reception also a bank. we found the cash machine would happily accept visa/mastercard but it wouldnt accept our bank card which is a barclays connect card. Both times we used the machine it was evening and the bank was shut but during the day you can exchange travellers cheques and currency and presumably use your bank card. you will need your passport. You could always email ahead to answer any money exchange queries. I did and got a very prompt reply back.
the only money we spent really went on diving (vast amounts) and watersports/quad biking booked with the hotel guys who would happily accept egytian pounds or sterlng. make sure you barter with them :wink: . We took a couple of hundred pounds £50 in Egypian and £150 in sterling and used the machine for additional money and paid for diving on the credit card.

cannot comment on taxis as we only ventured into naarm bay once and used the hotel mini bus which i believe stopped around 11.30pm . I would imagine taxis would run much later.

Cant say we encountered any jellyfish in april but it may be that you get them in the warmer months. Saw plenty of lionfish tho and i believe these you need to be careful of. they were swimming all around the jetty a sort of weird shaped fish with beige stripes.

The snorkelling equipment was hired to you via the dive centre so i would imagine it was all fairly good quality dive gear but maybe a little well used. my son used one of their masks and he had no complaints infact he prefered it to his own and many people were using their equipment and we never heard anybody complaining. one point to mention tho is they want a fairly large deposit around 30 euros and all equipment had to be returned by 5pm. Although if they knew you and you were diving with them you didnt need to pay the deposit if you had already left a diving downpayment and they wernt as strict with the times. my son held into his mask for a few days .

if you have any more queries feel free to ask and i will try my best to answer

you will have a great time.

lyn
Is there a dress code for the evening meals at any of the restaurants? shorts and t-shirt or smart casual?

What about tips, english pounds ok?

Thanks

Ian
Ian, why not tip in Egyptian pounds, at least they can spend those. As is the same in most countries, banks will not change foreign coins into local currency.
no there isnt really any dress code as such ian although no swimming costumes and bare feet :wink: . this applies at lunch as well if you are eating inside. "smart" shorts and t shirts in the evening will be fine

lyn
I know this may sound a trivial question to you, but to my 8-year old daughter, it's a matter of crucial importance.

When is ice cream available?

Tour operator sites all say just 4-5 pm by the pool & beach. Other reports indicate it's available most of the afternoon.

- Tony -
when we were there in april It was definately available at the pool bar most of the day. there is a freezer in the bar area itself behind where they serve and you just go down and help yourself from about 10.30am but i think they stopped it later in the afternoon. There were proper ice cream tubs cant remember what flavours but i do remember a nice mango one and i think the other was chocolatie, also corneto type cones. the T/o blurb also says you have to pay for fresh orange juice but they never charged for it . just asked and they gave it. :D There were also bottles of water to help yourself to. :D

lyn
Hi, I'm going to the Hilton Sharks Bay in two weeks time and have just been informed that there are building works next door ! Has anyone been there recently, if so, how bad is it ?
Just came back 3 weeks ago Jilly. Yes im afraid there is building work next door but i dont think it will spoil your enjoyment . when we were there they were chiseling away at the rock with a digger to break it up. It didnt seem to be bothering anyone including us as you couldnt hear it around the pools where we spent most of our time . It is constant though and it is right next to the beach sunbathing areas which really put that area out of bounds for us. so if you like the beach take an ipod or something. It really is a great hotel you will love it .

feel free to ask more .

lyn
Thanks for that Lyn, we had thought about changing hotels but decided to bite the bullet and still go to the hilton as I hear the snorkling is so very good there. I'm sure we will have a great time.
Im glad you have decided not to worry about it . its very difficult when we are sat here at home imagining the worst but once there you wont give it much thought at all . Have a brilliant time .

Obviously if they put you in a room overlooking the building site go back and tell reception "no thanks" and they will move you no problem :wink: :wink:

lyn
I have 2 spadge .

This is the one I use .

reservations.sharmsharks@hilton.com

or this is the one on my recent invoice

gm_shark-bay@hilton.com

they usually reply within 24 hrs so let me know if you have any problems and I will dig further.

lyn
There's always Nours' personal address. He still replies to that.
Has anybody stayed at the Hilton Sharks Bay as Im looking to go there in May 2008. Also what is the weather like at this time?

Thanks

Becky
hi Becky . Yes i have been twice . the last 2 easters. Temps at that time were very good ranging from 25/35 degrees so in may it will be even hotter. its a great hotel. the facilities , food and cleanliness is all excellent. the staff are all extremely friendly and if its important to you there are plenty of English staying there. by Egyptian standands the entertainment isnt too bad . they do make an effort. i dont know if you have children but ours love it there and always make plenty of friends. If theres anything specific you need to know feel free to ask and I will do my best to help you.

lyn
Thanks Lyn for the information that really good to hear.

Becky :lol:
They seem to offer a 'family room sleeps 2/4' and a 'suite sleeps 2/4' for quite a lot more money. The Hilton website doesn't seem to mention suites. Does anyone know what they are like? Are they worth the extra? And what would the family room consist of?
As nobody seemed to know the answer to my question about family rooms, I emailed the hotel to ask. I was impressed by their speedy response and thought I would put it on here for everyone's future information:-

"HOTEL ROOMS

All standard Hilton rooms are modern and comfortable and have either a mountain view, garden view, pool view and / or sea view. Many of the rooms have balconies and terraces and some have large windows.

Standard Hilton rooms can accommodate the following
Max 3 adults or
2 adults and 1 child (third bed is a folding bed or a sofa bed).

King bed Measurement - 1.80 x 2 m
Twin bed measurement - 1.20 x 2 m

All standard rooms offer the following facilities:
* Satellite TV
* Air conditioning with individual controls
* Tea and coffee making facilities - free of charge
* Balcony or terrace or window
* Small seating area
* Inter connecting rooms available on request
* Safety deposit boxes in room - free of charge.
* Hair dryers in bathroom
* Direct dial phones with international lines
* Majority of bathrooms have shower only (limited number of bathrooms have a bath)
* Mini Fridge - Every room has its own mini fridge that is stocked with a bottle of mineral water upon arrival.
* Clothes line in the bathroom
Sea and or pool view rooms (Hilton room plus) are subject to a supplement.

Deluxe rooms (with a supplement)
Offer the standard room facilities as well as the following
Direct access to the second pool
Terrace overlooking pool
Can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children sharing three quarter sofa bed

Family Rooms (with a supplement)
Consist of a room with a king size bed with a large lounge area with a double sofa bed.
All Family rooms can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children sharing a double sofa bed.
Family rooms offer either a garden and or mountain view or a sea and / or pool view.
Facilities are as per standard room and offer
Balcony or terrace

Family suites / rooms
Consist of two separate bedrooms sharing one living room.
Family suites can accommodate 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 children.

All rooms that are at a supplement receive the following additional amenities:
Fruit basket on arrival
Soft Drinks and local beer in the mini fridge on arrival"

I hope this is helpful! :)
Thanks Mehmeh. I have found it quite confusing when I have looked on the Hilton website regarding family rooms. Do you know what age the child prices go up to?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.