Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Thanks Lyn - I have bookmarked that site. Not used it before, but checking now it is coming out cheaper than hotelopia's current price for our week at HSB. Prices on hotelopia have gone up quite a bit since I booked (more than £400.00 extra when I looked today :yikes ) so hotels.com looks good.

Would love to be going in April Eifion, but have to wait a bit - hope you enjoy, and look forward to your review.
meerkat,

will write a concise review on our return.....

cant wait...... :cheers :sun2

Eifion.
Well you can all have a good laugh at me! After saying on another thread that we weren't over impressed with HSB, I have now booked to go again next Feb! I read hundreds of reviews of other hotels and decided in the end that they all seemed to have the same problems, such as shortage of cups at breakfast and poor drinks service. So, better the devil you know! I also think maybe we should have tipped after each meal instead of waiting till the end of the holiday as normal. So will try that next time! Amazed to read you tipped the chap who showed you to the table! We clearly don't have the right approach....... I have booked through Longwood this time.
:rofl :rofl mehmeh

Definately tip on your first visit to the restuarant . Ive only ever stayed in the old part so speaking in terms of the main restuarant there as you came through the door there is normally that guy standing in front of you who greats you warmly and finds you a table . He is quite important ;) . Tip him and he will be running around like a madman trying to sit you where you will be happy . Next a small tip to a couple of favourite "personality waiters " who look after your particular favourite seating area . They will then keep you stocked in drinks and generally make a fuss of you .

You neednt give out money every night , every couple or even third night should be sufficient . I find the same helps with the cleaning lads and even the pool guy . Again dont go silly just the equivilent to a pound or 2 .

good luck with your new challenge :)

Dont bother leaving it until the end as you wont benefit.
Thanks Lynwestie. Hopefully that will help. Just hope they've sorted out the pool heating by then. Presume the flies will still be there! I have booked for the new wing this time. We were in the old part before, so it will make a change and they say the new rooms are very swish. Longwoods are specific on which area you are booking unlike the other companies. They are the only ones who seem to have a grasp of the new setup.
I must admit to a little laugh too, mehmeh!! ;)

We didn't tip every day, but we tipped the cleaning guy on the second day and at the end of our holiday.

We tipped a couple of particular waiters in the new part, although not every night,but have to confess to not tipping the guy who seats you in the restaurant in the old part! I think I will do that in June!!

Like Lyn says,it doesn't need to be a lot when you do tip.

Interesting that Longwood are specific about which part you will be in- I haven't found another company yet where it is clear.
I think it's important that the T/Os grasp this soon . Theres seems to be a lot of cheeky goings on at the reception offering these upgrades . Customers need to know what they have already paid for .
The Longwood website describes all the room types, but only some are available to book online. The others are apparently 'on request' and you have to book by phone. So don't just assume they are unavailable if they aren't offered on the online booking page. Give them a ring. They were very pleasant and efficient.
Haven't read through the entire thread but here's my tuppence.

Really liked the Hotel, good service esp the food waiters. Free entry to Waterpark in Sharm

2 warnings -
1) If you get ill, order your medicines from Reception NOT the Pharmacy down the road. The Pharmacy will rip you off in a big way, we heard of people spending literally hundreds in there just for usual holiday problems. The Hotel reception got you stuff at Egyptian prices with a 5LE delivery charge.
2) Be careful with Taxis. Heard stories of people being locked in the cab until they paid more than the original quote. Get one from Reception, the fella we had take us into Sharm gave me his mobile number and I gave him a call to come get us to go back to the Hotel.
Does anyone know about any building work that either is or about to take place. I have been told that there is a new beach being built at the hotel and wondered if it had started yet and if so how much noise/disruption this is causing?

Cheers
Didn't see any evidence of building work beachside of the hotel at all last week.

However directly next door to the Hilton there is a new hotel going up which they've started on. Didn't notice any noise from it though day or night.
Hi everyone,we're off to the HSB on the 9th of Aug flying from Manchester.Booked through Freedom Direct and think we got a pretty good deal...saved around £1000 for a party of 5 compared with some operators.We've also joined the Hilton Honours Club which i believe gives certain benefits on upgrades/late check outs etc.Just wondered if quoting our membership number when we arrive will be sufficient as we didn't receive an actual card? :que
The Hilton Honours perks only apply if you book direct with Hilton and not via a 3rd party. You also have to get to a certain amount of points from stays with Hilton to qualify for the extras.....if you read the Honours website it explains all.

I had points on my account which entitled us to a late check out last week but my brother who like you joined once booked (via a tour operator) had no points and therefore earned nothing :duh
just got back from a week here, found it to be excellent in all respect.

i will write a concise report in the hotel review section shortly.

in the meantime if anyone has any specific questions i will be pleased to try and help.

:tup

Eifion.
So glad you enjoyed the Hilton Eif . Really looking forward to going back next year.

I have a hilton honors card. We have only used it for one stay that we booked direct a couple of years ago which pushed me up to silver membership but I have managed to gain extra points over the last couple of years by filling in surveys etc with http://www.Erewards.com and retain that membership and continue adding to my points.

I have just booked direct again and gave them my HH mumber at time of booking . On my confirmation email it says due to my HH membership I am to be given Free upgrade to delux and VIP status , whatever that might be . Probably free pop and beers in your fridge and a basket of fruit .

It wont harm to give them your number in advance . You wont gain any points but you may get other benefits . I would email them a couple of weeks before you go .give them your number and ask if you are entitited to anything extra.

Last year we stayed at the coral hilton in Nuweiba but booked direct with Thompsons . I did give them my number at checkin and we only had to pay a couple of quid for a late check out room .

lyn
Just check the HSB on Thomas Cook and it's just under 3K for us going for a week on 13/4/10 which is a shame as that is more than I want to spend. The Sunrise Island View is 2.5K so I am wondering it it's OK, as I think it's next door, but have lost the maps (as usual :oops: ) shame as I have always fancied the HSB but am wondering if it is really worth the 500 more ? It's such a hard thing to call. :duh As AI worked so well for us this year I do fancy giving it another go as it's such an easy holiday, so easy to relax without all the hassle of going out and seeking restaurants, especially when you are only there for a week.

Does the HSB have a la carte restaurants and if so are they OK ? Presumably they are ones you pay in ?

Doe :wave
Does the HSB have a la carte restaurants and if so are they OK ? Presumably they are ones you pay in ?

No unfortunately......but that might change. There was an unused/closed up section in the new part of the Hotel below one of the bars opposite the main restaurant, perhaps this may become an extra Paid for restaurant......I think it's an essential addition here
Hi Miss_Chief :wave:

It definately seemed a plus at the Holiday Village. I wouldn't say the food was that much better than the buffet. But it was a much calmer experience than keep getting up to get your own food and drink & seemed to make eating a bit more of an occassion being in a slightly different setting.

I think its from what holiday companys do in places like the Dom Rep and Mexico where everyone is hotel based and they know that people get bored going to the same restaurant every night for a fortnight. I wouldn't even mind paying a bit extra on the night for the change in setting.

I'm quite disappointed that a hotel chain like the hilton doesn't have something like this, but perhaps as you say it may change in the future.

Doe :wave
3k is a lot of money for the 4 of you Chris . At the end of the day you have to have some budget for an extra weeks sunshine but we do like it there and the only way I can do it at a good price is to secure a decent flight price and do DIY.

There was only the old part when we were last there and just the 2 restuarants .The main buffet one and an Italian downstairs .
I always thought the sunrise island view was next door to the right but just brought the map up and thats the Savita . Its 2 hotels along to the left , next door to the concorde . Good location and another Ive always fancied trying . http://www.sharm-el-sheikh.ovh.org/mapa_prawa_engl.html

It's a hard call Chris . We like it because it just seems to tick a fair few of our boxes and the diving aspect is important to us which is good from HSB. Our teenagers are happy because they have always made plenty of English friends and nice friendly atmoshpere. Happy children = happy Parents even if not every aspect of the hotel is perfect .

Cant remember if it was in your review Pauline that I read there was no ouside entertainment brought in . The last time we went was 2 years ago but there was always an evening act in the chill out bar . the spinning man, russian dancers or the Fire eating ninjas spring to mind . Have they now done away with these and relying totally on audience participation . If so thats a shame .

lyn x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.