Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Glad it hear it Pat . Looking forward to another review :)
hi all

we stayed at the hilton about 2 ( maybe 3) years ago i gather it has expanded somewhat - where is the new bit ? is it away from the sea ? does anyone have pictures or a map ?

thanks
S
Hi spage. The extension to the hotel is directly across the road from the original part of the hotel, and therefore further from the sea. If you are staying in the new part, then maybe 10-15 minutes slow walk to get to the beach. However, the shuttle bus runs frequently between the two parts if you don't want to walk. I must say I didn't find it a problem staying at the new part and going to the sea - and if the little bus passes you as you are walking the driver will stop and ask if you want to hop on.
Hi we are due to go to hsb in sept! Never been to Egypt before, its usually Greece for us, so looking forward to it but slightly nervous at the same time!!
This thread had answered a lot of my questions, i signed up for a Hhonours card as soon as i booked!
Lyn i am really interested in the e reward scheme to build up points any advice on how to get registered, seems you have to be invited, what sites do i need to go on to be invited! thanks in anticipation! We will be celabrating our 8th wedding anniversary while out there and i was gonna email hsb hoping for a seaview without paying extra :rofl what do ya reckon my chances are with this ;)
Just about to book a week at the Hilton Sharks Bay and need advice as to which part to stay in.
Have read many posts and the opinion seems to be 50/50.
Am more than happy to pay for the newer rooms but am concerned about the aircraft noise....is it bad and does it go on late into the night?
Are the older rooms as tatty as some people say ?...........surely not at a Hilton !!

Any help much appreciated :cheers
hi miss-heli. I stayed at the new side in June, and although it is close to the airport, we were not bothered by noise. The new rooms are bigger and more plush that the older side, but I stayed in the older side last November and had no complaints about the room, although the bathroom could probably have done with a facelift. I liked both sides for different reasons but would be happy to stay in either really.
I have only stayed on the old side(twice) as new part wasnt open on my last visit, but I certainly had no complaints at all about the rooms in the old part which was only built a few years ago anyway . maybe 5 or 6 .

I am now in a dilema over our booking for next year because we have been upgraded FREE to the new part but still not sure I would want to stay there as we like being close to the sea and would prefer a sea view .
Lyn - I would take the free upgrade!! I love the sea, but it didn't spoil my time there not being beside it and not having a sea view. The rooms are much better on the new side -quality is excellent. It wasn't a hassle going to the beach from the new side - I used to go early in the morning before it was really hot and tended to walk rather than going on the little bus.

The rooms are a bit "tired" at the older side, there's no doubt about that, despite the fact that they are not really very "old". I would stay there rather than paying to upgrade, but with a free upgrade I would definitely go for the new side.
It's not me whos the problem Pat , it's OH . A view of some description is really important to him. I had nothing but moans about the view of refurbishments to another part of the hotel at the sonesta beach we had over Easter . We had a view of workman and a security guard and as he works on a building site all week he wasnt impressed . I have had nothing but grief ever since :rofl . now on the other hand he loved the sea view we had at the hilton the first time we went . He used to sit on the terrace , enjoy the view and watch the comings and goings at the dive centre. Only for half an hour but :que , it just makes our holiday so much more pleasant if he is happy . I know as i have already been given the upgrade to the new part I could most probably swop that for a sea view on the old . We dont know any difference as far as rooms go and loved both the rooms we have been given on previous occasions.

by the sounds of it we would probably head over to the new during the day but I have very bad memories of the long treck to the sea from our room/pool at the sonesta and the grief I had to endure that he didnt "feel" the sea there . He is definately going to be making the decision on this one :rofl
Views from all of the rooms at the new side are of the enormous pools. I can see if the sea is crucial to enjoyment that you would be best to just get a sea view at the older side. I had a view over the front of the hotel when I stayed on that side, so preferred my terrace, grass and a view of the pool at the new side.

Since you haven't stayed at the new side, you won't be any the wiser about the differences in the rooms Lyn, so it won't really matter - more important to have a happy OH!! :rofl
Views from all of the rooms at the new side are of the enormous pools

so no rooms with views of the airport fence or runway :rofl
No Lyn!!! All rooms face the pools and grounds - terraces onto grass or balconies on first floor rooms, although you can go up to the back fence and peer through to the runway!!! In June there was still some building work going on at the back of the new side - I have a thought that there may be a spa there, but I'm not entirely certain, so don't quote me.. There will also be a new restaurant - Taste of Asia I think from memory, which was not ready in June and which will not be part of the AI....
:wave: Hi Meerkat, just reading back about your limo pickup. Did they send 2 taxis and did it all work out ok?
Hi Starry. Worked out perfectly for us. They sent 2 black cars, with a couple of really nice guys. $12 for each car- me and one daughter in one car and hubby and other daughter in the other one. They carried our cases, were polite and friendly, and very appreciative of a tip. Got the same guys to take us back to the airport too. Would definitely do this again if we DIY.
:tup Thanks Meerkat. Did you use the email that Lyn gave you?

Getting ahead of myself as I haven't actually booked yet..... Just like to be organised!
Hi Starry - yes I did. Ahmed on reception sorted us out - replies to emails within 2 hours of sending each time and he actually checked us in when we arrived - maybe that helped get the free upgrade. :rofl
Thanks Meerkat. Hope I get to deal with Ahmed then! :rofl
It's a great hotel Starry, and all the reception staff are nice - there are lots of them!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.