Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
No the space is not where the new extension is. That is immediately behind the hotel, towards the airport, not on the coast. There was outside entertainment most nights in the Chill Out Bar when we were there in Feb. Maybe the person who thought there wsn't stayed in the new part. I don't think much happened there at night.
when we were there last there was a huge amount of building going on directly next door (not the concorde side) on that little piece of land between the hilton and the savita . The savita was being built on our first visit . what is there now and is that part of the hilton as I'm assuming it is now completed ??

The odd thing is we were directly on the aircraft landing path at the Sonesta . you could practically see the people in their seats as the aircraft were coming in to land . Aircraft coming in over our heads all day but at the Hilton we heard very little and saw nothing .
Weird isnt it. The Holiday Village is right near the airport, and we heard virtually nothing, you saw planes but very little noise. :que I was looking forward to seeing the big Russian planes that Jaytrip had mentioned, but didnt see any. The planes do seem to fly right over Namma Bay. You could see the individual sunshades. Apologies gone offtopic from HSB.
The piece of land next door ( between 125 and 126) is still a building site. They were working on the part near their beach and it was very noisy. On our return, we found a letter from Olympic Holidays warning us about it!!! Very useful....... I don't think it is connected to the Hilton at all. Seems to be a new hotel.

We went to Cleo Water Park in Naama Bay (free as a Hilton guest) and really noticed the planes overhead there, but not at the hotel, as you say.
Cant remember if it was in your review Pauline that I read there was no ouside entertainment brought in

Hi Lyn, yes that was in my review. There was little or no entertainement in either side of the hotel. Perhaps it was down to the time we were there....although the hotels seemed very full, so you'd have thought that warranted something apart from Karaoke & a "magic" show :think

Maybe the person who thought there wsn't stayed in the new part

We did indeed stay in the new part but ventured to the Chill Out Bar most evenings (bar staff were preferable here) & as stated above nothing much going on apart from the above and bingo :duh

Being so close to the airport didn't interupt our stay at all :tup
Chill Out Bar in November last year was things like "Grease" and Mr or Miss Hilton. We were reduced to lying to the animation team about how much we enjoyed these!!! No entertainment at all in the extension......no doubt because it was not fully finished at that point.
Hi, my hubby and I re off to the Hilton Sharks Bay in June. 1st time away on our own with no kids yippee! I've read various pros & cons about either side of the hotel ie the New or Old. I love sunbathing, hubby loves snorkelling and the sea, which side of the hotel should we ask to stay in? I've heard the old side is the beach side, new is the pool side. I've heard that the rooms on the new side are much nicer but the restaurant lacks ambience, on the old side the rooms are a bit tatty but the restaurant is nicer (although it does get rather crowded) Any suggestions?

Also, what about excursions, can anybody recommend a couple. We've heard the quad bike trip is good... any feedabck? how much did it cost? Also, did anybody do a night time trip to the desert? Other things I would like advice on is Tipping, Sunbeds (do you have to get up ridiculously early to get one?). I've also read that the hotel offers some free diving/snorkelling sessions, does anybody know if this is correct. We've had to save for ages for this holiday and we are unlikely to be able to afford to go away on our own again. So any suggestions/tips that would help us to have a fab holiday would be very much appreciated. thankyou.
I havnt seen the new side yet christopher so I can't comment on the feel of it but the Red Sea is all about the Sea .Being close to it , either being in it or looking at it ,so for me I would still choose the old side , which is only a few years old anyway and request one of the blocks between the main pool and the beach . I have always thought the rooms were very nice , airy and bright . I certainly have no complaints about the rooms on the older side and how much time are you going to be spending in one to be bothered about a fancy plasma TV when a normal one will do fine . They seem to be selling the new side as an upgrade but I dont really see why other than the fact that they are new .Personally If I was to pay for an upgrade I would have a sea view room on the older side.

The way I see it is I can always go across to the new part during the evening for a meal when it's a little cooler . I dont snorkel and we spend most of our time around the main pool but I do enjoy wandering down to and on the Jetty a couple of times a day where you can sit ,watch and chat to those that do and wonder in amazement at all the beautiful fish or have an afternoon drink at the sunset bar overlooking the sea. If you were over at the new side during the day that would be a long walk or the bus thingy which is uphill on the way back and it will be very hot in June .

We have done the quad bike trip with the guys who come and sell the watersports around the pool . Very safe with helmets that many other companies do not .I seem to have £25 in my mind but I could be wrong. I believe they are also part of sinai dive club who are also on site . My hubby and 3 sons all dive and sinai dive club are excellent . They do free try dives in the main pool but unless things have changed since I last went you will have to pay for anything you do in the sea. Snorkeling equipment you can hire from them free but you will need to leave a deposit which I'm sure is about 30 euros if you are not diving with them.

Do give the pool guy a small tip every couple of days (just the equivilent of a pound or 2) and he will have your towels waiting on the beds of a morning .And I would also do the same with your favourite waiters and your cleaning boy . I usually give the cleaning boy another few pounds at the end too.

Hope that helps a little but whatever you decide I would email your request in advance a week or 2 before you go.

lyn
Hi Lyn, Its Christopher27 here aka Jackie, many thanks for your handy hints, its much appreciated. If I think of anything else I may get in touch again. cheers Jackie. x
Your welcome Jackie . There are a few more regulars here that I'm sure will give their opinions too although I know meerkat is away at the moment .

Any more questions just shout .

I hope you enjoy it .

lyn
Not quite away yet lyn! I prefer the old part of the hotel for a couple of reasons - the fact that it is nearest to the sea, there is more of an atmosphere (in my opinion) and a better choice of bars and pools. Although the extension was very new last November and not all quite completed, so this may have a bearing on how it felt.

The new part is lovely, there's no doubt about it, and the rooms look on to the fantastic pool area. However, I don't spend much time in my room on holiday, and don't watch tv, and I was perfectly happy with the rooms in the older part of the hotel. Personally I wouldn't pay a premium to stay in the new part. I was offered an upgrade within the older part from a non pool view to a pool view at a cost of £100 (sterling, not Egyptian) for the week!!! I declined - we were out early and by the time we came back to the room each evening it was dark, so the view wasn't important!!!

When we went in November we spent time in the new part, eating our evening meal there - I preferred the restaurant in the new part (much more spacious and airy and better food) - and also spending time by the pool in the day. There were always plenty sunbeds at both parts, but that may be different in the summer. We are going back in June so it will be interesting to see how it might differ.

We tipped the guy at the pool and the guy who did the room, both during and end of our holiday. None of the staff were looking for tips in my opinion, and in fact I never actually saw anyone tipping staff when I was there apart from us! Small amounts were fine. Staff were very pleasant and helpful wherever you were in the hotel.

The hotel offers a free scuba lesson in the pool. This lasts approximately 3 mins and was useless- I was disappointed - I expected something better! However the Dive CLub on site looked good. I love snorkelling - it is fantastic at Shark's Bay. It really would be a long way to walk in the heat to the beach from the new side...although there is a little bus which runs between the two areas.

I didn't do any trips because we went for a chill out holiday although there were plenty trips available. If we had been there for 2 weeks I would definitely do some.

Hope you will enjoy it Jackie - we loved it, and are looking froward to going back. Let us know if you need any more info - I am off to Krakow tomorrow, but will be back next weekend.
I knew it was this weekend Pat . Have a lovely time . You shouldnt be here you should be packing :)

lyn
Hi Lynwestie & Pat

One thing I forgot to ask was about the dress code for the evenings at HSB. Do people get dressed up? After years of holidaying with young kids and being back in our room by 10p.m! I've not needed to worry about evening wear. I'm not talking cruse ship attire!!! I just wondered if I need to but a couple of sun dresses for the night time.

Also, would you believe that my sister has just booked to go to HSB at half term, on 28th May. She has two boys aged 4 & 6, both very energetic they aren't mad on the beach but love the pool. Any suggestions for holidaying in HSB with young children.

Thanks again. x
Just the same as we have found in europe Jackie . Smartish casual I would call it . i.e linen trousers, skirts sundresses . My hubby usually wears jeans or combat shorts and a t shirt . shirts are not necessary.

In the day you would need something on your feet and to cover your bikini with a sarong/ kaftan etc if eating inside . If you use the outside snack bar/bbq area I dont believe that is necessary .

Egypt isnt really a late night place anyway , unless you go into Naama bay its all very low key , relaxing with a glass of wine or a shisha with the odd bit of entertainment thrown in .

I dont think the children will be bored . Ours are a lot older now but there is what appears to be a well run kids club and at least one dedicated pool with a good slide system in the old part . Havnt seen whats available on the new side. They have the usual mini disco in the evening and a show to watch + we have always found there are plenty of english families there .

lyn
She has two boys aged 4 & 6, both very energetic they aren't mad on the beach but love the pool. Any suggestions for holidaying in HSB with young children.

The new side pool is HUGE and is broken into 3 sections, the childrens (permanantly heated :tup ) with a small "beach" area and it's very shallow throughout, there's also a great water slide in that pool for the kids, through a "rock cliff" the animation team also seemed to play lots of games with the kids throughout the day.
Hi looking at this hotel for 2010,I have noted about 2 parts of the hotel can someone please advise what the beach is like at the resort and how far is it to walk from each part (sorry if this has been asked before)
The beach is very small, and is closest to the older part of the hotel. You need to access the sea via the pontoon. There are terraces going down to the beach with sunbeds, and a bar. It would be quite a walk from the new part of the hotel, but there is a regular little bus which takes guests between the new part and the beach.

Sunbeds are difficult to get at the beach - reserved from very early morning. The reef is fantastic -loads of fish. Personally my preference is for the older part of the hotel - although the new part is lovely - and in part that is because I want to be close to the sea.
Hi Meerkat2505,
Thank you for your reply,no problems with booking beds early a little baksheesh helps.I lived and worked in Cario some years ago but have never been to Sharm,what is the best hotel with a beach.
I would say one of the best beaches is undoubtably the coral sea imperial (formally the Conrad). We had a 33 hr delay on our last visit to HSB and was put in the Conrad for an evening and the next day . In terms of atmosphere , food and general quality , etc I didnt like it as much as the hilton but for beach lovers you would struggle to do better . :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.