Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Welcome to HT and this section in particular. Members do try to help those with a problem but the answer you get may not always be the one you wish to hear.

I have read your full version posted here - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=125289 and can well understand your dissatisfaction in the manner you were treated. When things go wrong you quite reasonably expect some assistance from you TO. Without being flippant that is often a complaint made on here.

First you do not say which insurance company you were insured with. The response does seem strange, particularly as you were on a cruise and you cannot be the first who, for whatever reason, has stood and watched their ship sail away without them. You also cannot be the first to have lost their passports, so again the response from your TO seems strange.

The documents issued by the embassy are valid only to get you back home when you need to apply for a new one.

I suggest you save a great deal of time by reading the quote below.

The aim of this section of the holiday-truth website is to enable holidaymakers to get advice and assistance as soon as possible on any holiday complaints or problems encountered.

Our members will be able to offer you advice on how best to deal with your holiday complaints and how to deal with the Tour Operators. However please remember that this will be non qualified advice. We therefore suggest you seek professional assistance from someone qualified in Travel Law.

We have teamed up with Ros Fernihough, Travel Law Solicitor, to provide the best information available.

Ros has offered our members free impartial legal advice. Please note that Ros does not read or post on this board any contact to her must be made via :-

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

Or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.

Whilst we may give our opinions they are personal. I think you need the help of a professional in resolving this and Ros is arguably the best travel law solicitor in the country, which many highly satisfied members of HT can testify.

fwh
Hi, thanks for the info.
Your right , we cant be the first or last, to be robbed and abandoned, but I prefare it to be by the thief...
seriously though, I took out insurance with the post office (fortis) and must admit did not read the terms until the theft. Once I had read the terms and conditions, I dont think Ill bother with insurance next time.

Off the subject, crosses my mind that booking your holiday in the very near future
is going to be a nightmare due to AIG insurance, Flight bankcrupts and Atol looking after themselves...and theyre asking us to book early.
If you look here - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1329 - there is a section that deals specifically with insurance with plenty of good advice.

Some months ago one of our members did post about the shortcomings of many of the policies and highlight the fact many of us do not read the policy as we should. All that small print (T&Cs) is a pain I agree but only when things go wrong do we actually take note.

It is actually a condition when booking holidays that you have insurance cover and can be refused passage if you do not.

I would still advise making contact with Ros and get an expert opinion on this. Insurance aside all TOs have a duty of care and from your description they have failed badly on this.

Now you are a member of HT please stick around, browse the site and see what we have to offer. You might also be able to help someone.

fwh
Please do have insurance in the future e.lyon. If you get ill, or worse, abroad the medical bills can run into thousands within days. The EHIC card does not get you a return flight home if you missed it, does not provide accommodation or anything else for your spouse whilst you are in hospital - would not get the body home if someone were to pass away etc. etc.

If for nothing else you should always have holiday insurance for the medical aspect.
This is another interesting and worrying area in travel insurance. I've gone through the policies I downloaded when I did my survey at the start of the year. None make any claim to cover you in this situation, in fact one specifically states that you are not covered for denied boarding due to not having your passport. The only lost passport cover they offer is the cost of a new one and the cost of chasing around to get it, with limits ranging wildly on policies at similar prices.

There is one tip I might make, keep your tickets inside your passport - because most pay if the tickets are lost or stolen! So if you keep them stuck together and anything happens to the passport your now unusable ticket will be missing as well!!!
Sorry Steve - It was your postings earlier this year to which I was alluding but could not find them at the time.

There was another post here only a few days ago about someone on an "adventurous holiday" and I did raise the question about insurance cover on that. Everyone should have insurance if only for peace of mind. We all consider that bad things only happen to others - until they happen to us.

I do think we need to address the insurance issue in depth here on HT. I am sure we have the expertise amongst our members to draw up a guide so people have less chance of being caught out.

fwh
The thing people need to bear in mind is that the level of cover varies wildly even though prices are often similar and each person needs to work out in advance what they need covered - don't just rely on someone elses best buy. And cover may vary from year to year as they see a risk building up - I don't expect to find many offering Scheduled Airline Failure next year!!

And as I said in the other thread, the business plan of travel insurance companies seems to be based on charging relatively low premiums and not paying out - unlike car insurance where they charge premiums on the assumption that they will be paying out many claims.
Yes everyone insurance needs are different and you need to make sure that the cover you need is indeed there.
Today as my Home Contents insurance is due for renewal in October I had a cold call asking to give me a quote.
She went through all the usual and then said you are covered for 60 days away from home. I remember having to take a higher grade of policy as a lot will only cover for 31-45 days. When I then said I would be away for 8 weeks she told me she would call me back as she needed to check out the situation. This was a policy underwritten with AXA.
After all this info it turns out that as I will be taking this extended holiday less than 3 months from the starting date of the policy. They would not insure me! I didn't ever get to how much the policy would cost. Had they insured me and I had a problem with my contents then presumably they would not have paid out on a claim.
It is a minefield out there and if in doubt I would advise anyone to declare everything.

The end result is that we all need that insurance cover even though we hope not to need it.

Sue
Hi All
How long does it usually take insurance companies to process claims from the date that they receive the returned claim form and associated paperwork ?

Thanks

Robert
It depends. Normally when you make a claim they send a claim form to you. You will be asked for information and any documentation to support your claim. ie Police report for stolen items and a report from the Holiday Rep if you were on a package holiday.
Provided they receive all the information your claim can be dealt with in a short period of time. If they require any extra information then this can slow the claim so try to make sure you do include everything needed. Sometimes they will write and acknowledge the claim but I have had an occasion where the cheque just arrived in the post.

If I were you and I didn't receive any acknowledgement I would call them and ask them to confirm they have received your claim. They should be able to give you an idea of how long it will take to process it. (I would always advise sending the claim by Recorded delivery as then you can trace that the letter has arrived)

Sue
Hi Sue
I posted all the info off last Monday by recorded delivery. I had to cancel our holiday due to my wife's fathers ill health. It was just as well because he died at a time when we would have been on holiday and we were able to be with him during his last few days. There was a lot of paperwork to gather up as we had 3 flight bookings and 2 hotel bookings. We then had to get copies of all these along with 5 cancellation notices and a doctors medical certificate.
It has been a lot of hassle during such a difficult time, but fortunately we were able to postpone our holiday leave and we have booked to go again this Saturday.

Robert
Sincere condolences Robert, to you and your family.

When my brothers, mother in law died they were on holiday, they came back and I think waited about 3 weeks for the claim to be sttled. I suppose it depends on the insurance company and the completion of any forms necessary.

Kath x
So sorry to hear your sad news. I am glad however that you are still able to get away. With all the pressure you will be in need of that break.

In circumstances such as this it should not be a complicated claim. You have got the various certificates etc.

Again my condolences to all your family.

Sue
Hello all
Thanks for your kind words of support. I decided that my wife really did need a holiday after all she had been through so I have booked for a 2 week stay in Majorca (so she thinks) this Saturday.

Thanks again

Robert
Hello Again
Just got a letter from our insurance company to state that our claim has been refused under one of their general exclusions. It just makes you wonder what you really are covered for these days, we have re booked to travel again this Saturday for 2 weeks and have taken our insurance with the same company so it does not give you any faith in their cover.
I phoned our insurance company originally 5 days before our first trip was due to inform them of my father in laws ill health. They told me to cancel right away because as I then knew that he was ill, we would not be covered if he died while we were on holidays and had to return home.
Have now phoned their complaints department re their decision, but you get through to a voice message that says they will return your call within 3 working hours.

Totally gutted

Robert
i had that same problem when my father passed away 18 months ago but they eventually paid out
it took a while and lots of shouting on my part
keep persuing the claime
and i didnt tell them dad was ill i didnt realise i had to untill we put in the claim
Yes unfortunately these days they ask all sorts of questions when you take a policy out. I have never had to make a claim for an incident like this but my Nephew when he had his Brain Haemorrhage' the Dr had to declare that this was an aneurysm and that no way could it have been foreseen. The Policy paid out on the cancelled holiday but it took about 2-3 weeks for my Sister to get the necessary documentation from the Medical people in the US. She was actually out there and I was here dealing with matters.
I have just informed my insurance of a visit to the Dr and the Hospital last week and probable surgery needed later following my next holiday. The sent a covering letter but the small print nowadays is just a mine field.

Sue
I never buy holiday insurance for travelling in EC countries. If you fly and your luggage is lost the Airline has to pay up. The Health card covers medical emergencies and the state hospitals are far better than a lot of the private clinics. Many of these clinics are set up with the sole purpose of earning money from Insurance companies. OK. my body would not be flown home but I don't fancy being carted around anyway ;)

I know of people being robbed and Insurance co's will avoid paying out wherever possible. The worst insurance policies are the ones sold by Travel Agents. They make massive commissions but never point out the small print to naive travellers. One sold my 72 year old Aunt one that only covered up to 65's!
I never buy holiday insurance for travelling in EC countries. If you fly and your luggage is lost the Airline has to pay up. The Health card covers medical emergencies and the state hospitals are far better than a lot of the private clinics. Many of these clinics are set up with the sole purpose of earning money from Insurance companies. OK. my body would not be flown home but I don't fancy being carted around anyway

This is the craziest statement i have ever heard,for the sake of £18 to cover yourself for holiday insurance.
One of these days you will be caught out and then where will you be.

:que
:duh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.