Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Holiday Italy
7 Posts
In honest truth Italy could still be considered to be two countries, because the south is so much poorer than the north. If you are travelling as a tourist/visitor, you should not have too many problems.

I can only suggest you might try to get web cam views of Naples, Sorrento, Poggibonsi, etc.

There are elections being held - I think possibly this weekend - so this might be the opportunity for a clean up in more ways than one! Good luck.
The only things I've seen on TV recently was just the latest episode of the ongoing shambles in Naples, which has been going on for years due to the local crime being better organised and more stable than the various governments which have failed to sort it out. What you really need to worry about in the far south is the Mafia gang war which may be about to break out!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7317897.stm

even now there are insurance companies rewording their small print......
even now there are insurance companies rewording their small print......

Tell us more Steve - first I've heard of it, and I like to learn things ............ or is this a scare tactic?

(and the 'mafia' shouldn't put holiday makers off travelling - it's a local/inter Italian thing and doesn't target tourists as far as I know)
I have been to camping Baia Domizia lately and I can confirm that there is no waste management disorder, and indeed waste collection is handled efficiently, now as always. Television shows a lot of problems and mountains of rubish along the streets but I asure you that Campania province is doeing everything to keep the streets clean. Please remember that the immages you see on the televsion are always the same and the south of Italy is not just Naples!!
Just back on Friday from a week in Campania. Sorrento was very clean, Capri was spotless,but we found the road from the station at Ercolano(Herculeneum) down to the site was just a continous pile of refuse. Also as we travelled by train and bus you could see piles upon piles of rubbish along the roadsides.

ps on a side note why does there seem to be nothing but old men just standing around(literally dozens and dozens) on street corners in Ercolano?

Bill
on a side note why does there seem to be nothing but old men just standing around(literally dozens and dozens) on street corners in Ercolano?

....everybodies got to be somewhere.

(I believe that may be copyright Spike Milligan/BBC!!)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.