General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Once, many moons ago, when me and my best mate went on holiday I brought home a champagne cork with the obligatory coin in!! We had a bottle of some fizzy stuff and the object of my desire presented it to me :rofl . I kept it for years, not sure why? Is there any significance when coins are put in champagne corks?? Is it something to do with good luck? If so, still waiting after all these years :cry.
We always try and bring home a magnet. My fridge is full of them :)
another one,that collects fridge magnets.i always make hubby,buy a t-shirt.usually one,with just a little logo on,nothing in your face!
tracy
Usually a bottle of ouzo. Far more use.

The cork and coin is discussed on the BBC Customs page HERE
Yes I also bring back some fridge magnets and my kids have started to do this too, I sometimes used to bring back an ashtray :oops: but I quit smoking 3 weeks ago so no more of them :)
I used to bring home a keyring, fridge magnet, tea-towel, ashtray & lighter (and I don't even smoke...) and a shot-glass from everywhere we went :roll:
Nowadays I promise myself I won't buy anything unless it's something I'm going to actually use - I always buy next year's calendar (and one for my mum). This year's haul from Fuerteventura consisted of a couple of nice shopping bags with Fuerte goat logos on (I try to remember to use them instead of supermarket carrier bags), a Fuerte goat logo keyring to use as a bag charm for the "genuine" 15€ D&G bag I got from the looky-looky market :lol: , a few nice bits of cheap jewellery which I have worn lots of times since we got home, a nice scarf with skulls on for 3€ which I've also worn a few times, and a couple of Fuerte goat logo t-shirts which were in the bargain bin and I've worn them a few times too, including wearing one of them on the flight home!
My favourite mementoes of all our holidays are still my photos and videos, and they don't cost anything and don't take up space in the house either :wink:
I'm with cyber on this one, the best momentoes are the holiday pics and videos, though hubby always likes to check out a local supermarket and bring back anything with a funny ( to his sick sense of humor ) label, hense the 3 packets of ' cock soup' we aquired from jamaica .........................
Fridge Magnets for me - cheap and cheerful and everytime you open the fridge it brings back memories of holidays.
Apart from an ashtray for son that collects them I just bring back lots of photos and then have them made into a calendar for next year so I can relive it while waiting for the next holiday. :tup
Do not wish for love, but rather, continuing happiness; corks symbolise buoyancy, not love.

Ah and there was me thinking it was love :rofl . Never mind, was a nice thought.
I always buy postcards to keep from the area I'm visiting even though I have photos I have taken myself :que: Some childhood thing that I have yet to grow out off even though I'm in my twenties rofl
shazajo- well done on giving up the fags ;)
Marlou

Thanks :offtop Its very hard at the moment but I'm determined to stick to it, I dont know how my other half and kids put up with my mood swings lol :D
silverpixie1uk wrote:
I just bring back lots of photos and then have them made into a calendar for next year so I can relive it while waiting for the next holiday.
That's a lovely idea - I keep saying I'm going to do that! There's loads of online photo-ordering sites where you can put your photos together in a calendar, poster or book :wink: I also keep saying I'm going to put a scrapbook together with favourite holiday photos - I keep little things like tickets from places I've visited, flyers etc and it's nice to put them on a scrapbook page with a couple of photos from that place.
There's loads of online photo-ordering sites where you can put your photos together in a calendar, poster or book

If you register on the sites you often get half price deals by e-mail too, so far I've done a huge poster with our Italian photos for himself for Christmas one year, photo mugs, a canvas print, Christmas cards and of course my calenders, all at half price. :tup
I just bring back photos and memorys these days. Some years ago, after carting a load of carved wooden elephants and hippos back from Kenja :yikes and an inlaid wooden occassional table from Sorrento, I looked around at the stuff and just thought this isn't really what I want in my home in the UK and called a halt to it.

It's difficult to resist when I am abroad as you get swept up in the moment and browsing local shops can be very pleasant part of a holiday, but I just remember my minimalist decor at home and know it's not my thing really. DD is into fashion jewellery so I let her choose a few nice items which I know she will wear. I never bring booze back either, it's normally as cheap here, so I figure if I need it I buy it in the supermarket.

Doe :wave
It's a fridge magnet for us and the bairn gets a pebble from the beach to put in the back garden.
A little tip for saving money on momentoes and excess baggage costs.....

Go to car boot sales and Charity shops on your return - you can get handmade ashtrays, wall plaques, plates, mugs, tea towels, parrots, lizards, t shirts and caps with 'I heart.......', etc from all parts of the world for 50p- £1.
All obviously been bought as presents but probably not to peoples taste unless they have been there on holiday!

Only joking but I think you will know what I mean!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.