Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
you certainly packed a lot into your time in bangkok :D The Grand Palace is definitely a "must see" isn't it? Do you think you'll return to Bangkok?
I'm loving your report :D
( I've asked for the Montien to be added to our reviews - should be on sometime tonight)
Part 2 - Koh Samui

having spent a hectic week in Dubai and Bangkok the idea of Koh Samui was to have a much needed rest and recuperation.

we flew with Bangkok Air to Koh Samui on the Saturday, which was a really good flight and arrived at the fantastic Koh Samui airport which is so cute and quaint! After receiving our luggage we were again met by a Gold Medal rep who put us in the taxi to our hotel - please see my review of the hotel Imperial Samui for more information. we spent the first afternoon of our stay on Koh Samui wandering around getting our bearings. In the evening we took the hotel bus into Chaweng, and ate an excellent meal at Captain Kirks. We then returned to the hotel for much needed sleep

the next couple of days we spent lounging around the hotel, sunbathing and reading, taking dips in the sea to cool off as necessary. We went out to Beach Love restaurant along the sands and back into Chaweng for our evening meal - we ate at an Italian restaurant (sorry cant remember its name if it comes to me I will post it) - it was called La Dolce Vita

on the Tuesday my other half went off diving and really enjoyed the trip. I dont dive but he said the set up was really good, he booked with Easy Divers and they took them to do 3 dives north of the island. whilst he was off diving I relaxed by the pool and had a couple of spa treatments at the hotel's spa - these were lovely and very relaxing.

On Wednesday we had booked a boat trip around the island so were picked up at 8.30 from our hotel and taken to Bophut Pier. We then got on a boat and sailed off. The guides pointed out a number of places including the grandmother/grandfather rocks, the beaches of Chaweng, Lamai. We then reached Koh Tan - the Greenpeace Island where you could go snorkelling, swimming or just sit on the beach and also received an excellent lunch. After this back on the boat to sail through the 5 rocks and on to Nathon where we disembarked and then returned to our hotel. this was a really good day out and very relaxing. We ate at the Gourmet Terrace just down the road which was an excellent meal too.

Thursday was spent lounging by the pool again, we ate in the evening at Charming - another beach restaurant along the sand which was also an excellent meal, and then on friday we had a half day trip with our own guide to show us around the island. we visiting the Chaweng viewpoint, the grandmother/grandfather rocks, Wat Kunaram where there is a mummified monk, Namuang waterfall where there was elephant treking, Nathon for some shopping and Big Buddha. This was a good taste of Koh Samui and gave us a really good idea of the island. In the afternoon we were returned to our hotel. That evening we returned to Chaweng for a meal, but not without drama - as we left our hotel there was a powercut and this meant that most of Chaweng was without power - the streets were quite dark as a result. Some places obviously had emergency generators though. We ate at a restaurant called the Orient on the main street which again was an excellent meal. We then got a songthiew back to our hotel just in time before the heavens opened - it was a superb rainstorm and we just sat and watched it from our balcony, feeling so glad we had got back 5 minutes before.

Saturday was our day to return home but we did not fly out of Koh Samui until 10.00pm so had all day there. unfortunately the weather had broken and it rained for much of the day but it was still hot, so we sat under an umbrella by the pool and enjoyed a final relaxing day on Koh Samui.

Our flights home were long - it took 24 hours and I still feel a bit of the jetlag - but they were OK.

All in all it was a fantastic holiday. we both loved thailand and the thai people and would hope to return again one day soon.
  • Edited by claire55 2007-06-27 19:00:55
Very informative and helpful.

I am undecided between Krabi and Koh Samui for next March, as part of a twin centre with Hong Kong and am trying to gather as many bits of info on both places before committing. :wink:
Good report Claire. Nice to see someone staying in a different hotel in Bangkok getting a bit tired of reviews of the Marriott and Landmark hotels :)

Don't worry about missing the Erawan Tea Rooms, there very good especially at £2.50 of a nine course high tea but its more one of those places to pop into if your in the area and certainly much better (and cheaper) than going to Starbucks. The Oriental on the other hand is one of the special Bangkok experiences.

Midloth Iain. Krabi or Koh Samui in March. I'd have no problem with that one Krabi for me would win every time.
Sunbear

As a first time Thai traveller, one advantage of Samui is the direct flight from HK (Bangkok Airways).

Out of interest, what are your main reasons for suggesting Krabi over KS ?

Iain 8)
The weather is one...I've been to Samui twice in March and we caught quite a lot of rain...including whole days when it was raining solid. Nice of course when the sun came out, but its the only place in my eleven visits to Thailand in the Feb March period where I've caught any rain.

The main one though is that I find the Krabi area much more spectacular than Samui, and enjoy the little boat trips out to the outlying islands.
Thanks Sunbear.

We loved Koh Samui but its good to hear your positives on Krabi as we would be keen to perhaps go there in the future.

Claire
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.