General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I've not been to Jamaica, but please don't believe all the stuff you hear about it being unsafe to go out. I know people who have been and they have ventured out to nearby restaurants and bars, but gone in groups rather than just the two of them. I also have friends who have been all over the carribean and Jamaica so far is their favourite.

It depends what you want from a holiday. Many holidaymakers to the caribbean don't particularly leave their resorts/hotels at night because they might be quite far from bars and restaurants or simply because they are all inclusive and there is entertainment in their complex. It shouldn't stop you going on any daytime trips.
How about Kenya? The beaches around Mombasa are beautiful, (and you can always do a short safari if you feel like it), and the people are some of the friendliest I have ever met.
Surferchick

Jamaica is as safe as anywhere as long as you take the same precautions you would when you go to other places.

We first visited Jamaica almost 19 years ago, we were told by the rep. under no circumstances leave the resort due to safety. We took our chances as we wanted to see more of it than just the complex, We hired a car and drove to various parts of the island and we also went out to eat in the evenings in the restaurants. We had no problems at all and the people are among the friendliest I have ever met. Treat them with the respect that you would want in return and you'll have no problems.

Rgds Jackie
surfer chick,

Jamaica is fine as long as you are sensible. Montego Bay can be a little dodgy, but Ocho Rios is fine. Although July is in the rainy / hurricane season for the Caribbean region, it might not happen and you may get 2 weeks of glorious weather. Rodney Bay in St Lucia is lovely, Varadero in Cuba is nice and only a short bus ride or walk to 'down town' depending on which hotel you stay in. What about Barbados? Its in the southern Caribbean which tends to be a little more settled. If its somewhere special you want for something like a honeymoon, then its go to be the Caribbean fo me. You can visit most places in europe anytime as they are more reachable in terms of travel time and cost (although it can be just as cheap to visit the Caribbean these days!). Alternatively, somewhere like the Maldives, although that might be a little quiet for you (good for snorkelling and diving though!).

Darren
Dazbo 5

Sorry have to disagree. We stayed in Montego Bay - no problems whatsoever.

Rgds Jackie
I'm not sure where it is or whether I can mention another review site on here, but there's a really out of the way total relaxation holiday destination in Jamaica called Caves. I stumbled across it whilst looking at holiday reviews one time and thought it looked idyllic for a honeymoon. I think though I might be wrong that it's near Ochos Rios.

My friend did Safari in Nairobi followed by a fortnight in Mauritius for her honeymoon. There's another option.
SandC

Sorry have to disagree. We stayed in Montego Bay - no problems whatsoever.

I didn't mean Montego Bay is a no-go area or anything, just you wouldn't venture out at night alone! You can say that about a lot of places though. It's no worse than some other palces I've been to, its still a nice place to stay, but I'd much prefer the more relaxed atmosphere of Ocho Rios.

Darren
We stayed in the Dominican Republic, playa dorada in the Hotel Paradise. (thomson hotel) It is right on the beach with a shopping centre with a few bars nearbye, which is very safe. A few excursions we did was a safari in a huge amphibian vehicle through the mountains and rain forrest to a lovely waterfall where you can swim. We also took a boat ride through some weird looking swamps.
We had a fantastic time
Maldives in July might not be the best time to go - rainy season! Although I'm sure you could find other diversions, it being your honeymoon! Also watch the Caribbean as it's hurricane season so choose your island with care!

"Couples" in Jamaica (Ocho rios and Negril) are worth considering
Thank you everyone for your advice, I think we have decided to go to Aruba, although Jamaica was a close second. The only thing that took the edge was the weather in Aruba, from yearly averages you seem less likely to get rain here. :sun
Don't know whether this is slightly off topic but was just wondering whether someone can clarify what the weather during hurricane season is like?Do it rain torrentially for 15 mins then stops and is glorious sunshine or is it torrential rain all day. :shrug
Thank you
Happy holidays
Surfer chick
x x x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.