Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Have a look at the Anantara Bophut
http://www.anantara.com/default.aspx
I haven't checked prices but they do have pool villas due for completion by the end of the year. Bophut has some lovely restaurants and a few bars. A 15 minute taxi journey takes you into Chaweng which is really busy. You might actually enjoy a few days at a hotel in Chaweng too. Chaweng does have a better beach than Bophut.
I would suggest that you have a night or two in Bangkok on the way back. Bangkok really has some brilliant hotels which spoil you for anywhere else. We have flown from KS to BKK airport and then home from there. However, it was a tiring journey as you do have to take a really early flight from KS to make sure you have plenty time. Bangkok is a great place, especially when you are not jetlagged!

Now, if you want a spanner in the works, I think Bali is the perfect holiday destination and even cheaper day to day than Thailand. But thats for another forum :D
Next July or this July?

If this July - I would avoid the Anantara Bo Phut as they are having massive renovations going on next door which could have a detrimental effect.

Like Fiona, I'm a big fan of Bo Phut - have a look at the Zazen Resort at the end of the beach.

Consider 2 centring - I stayed at the Rasananda on Koh Phangan (took 1 hour from Bo Phut to Rasananda by road & speedboat - the hotel arranges this or the Tour Op will book for you). Stunning beach, amazing rooms (all with private pools) and a very different feel from Samui. I think it's a great honeymoon hotel.
Thanks for the advice! strangely enough.... I have considered Bali as well. I'll look in to it a bit more. Would it be possible to do one week in thailand, one week in bali?

Also, has anyone heard of 'tongsai bay'? It looks nice and has good reviews.

What is Koh Phangan like? Is it lively or quiet? Would the weather be ok in july?

Keep the advice coming!

Ps- honeymoon is for july 2011
xx
Its more common to team Bali with Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. I have stopped over in both places there and back from Bali. Bali- you really should do a twin centre. However, Thailand- I have to admit that the other hotel I was going to suggest you looked at was Tongsai Bay. Great reviews and very luxurious. Be aware though that it is a bit isolated. Perhaps combine that one with another closer to some nightlife? One thing to consider- if you are on a budget, as the hotel is isolated your daily expenses will reflect that.
I've had lunch at the Tongsai Bay. Very nice beach, but you are restricted to the hotel without transport (almost a private beach as you have the headland either side).

Koh Phangan is same weather as Samui - it's only 35 mins away. Bits (Haad Rin) are very lively, and bits (Rasananda) are lovely and relaxed.

Should note that Rasananda had a few local restaurants down the beach that were amazing, and cheap.

You can use Thai Airways to do 1 week Bali & 1 week Thailand, but the flights would mean an overnight in Bangkok somewhere along the line.

For July, consider Bali, I love it! If you want to combine it with somewhere different (and better beaches) look at Lombok - 25 minute flight away.
I would consider a week in Thailand and a week in Bali , infact next time we visit the Far East in summer months we will probably spend a week on Ko Phangan and a week in Bali , this is made quite easy by the fact that you can fly very cheap from Bangkok to Bali with Air Asia.
Thankyou everyone for your advice.

We have decided to stick with Koh Samui, mainly because I think it will work out cheaper. I got some quotes yesterday for over £5k!

So, we are thinking about a week in Tongsai Bay followed by a week in the Anantara Bo Phut.
Is this a nice combo?

I love the look of Tongsai Bay, it looks perfect for a honeymoon, but wouldn't like to be there for 2 weeks because it's quite remote.
I don't think Chaweng is for us, which is why I was thinking Boh Phut.
The anantara looks nice, so does the Bo Phut Resort and Spa- which one of these is nicer? I read some reviews that said Bo phut resort and spa is bad for mosquitos which put me off.

Only thing is, we wont get a 'pool room' (going to be too expensive).

Does this sound like a nice honeymoon?!
that sounds a perfect combination. :)
I am someone who used to use all the sprays and wipes and still get 20 - 30 bites on each leg, let alone arms. I now only get a rogue bite every so often. So my tip- a month before you go, take 2 garlic capsules everyday- make sure they are non smelly type :D I think a fortnight before still gives you protection but I just make sure by taking for longer. Also still clart yourself with spray. You won't need open windows so as soon as you are in for the night, spray the room or put in a plug in mossie control.
If you are still worried you do get suntan lotion with mossie protection too.
I can't tell which is the better hotel I'm afraid but I'll bet you won't be disappointed with either.
I've seen both hotels, I found the Anantara's rooms a little dark and shaded to be honest. Also found Bo Phut's Resorts staff to be a little miserable! I'd go for the Anantara I guess - should have some good rates with them just finishing renovations as well.
Hi Travelling Sam, can you recommend any other nice honeymoon hotels in Bo Phut?

Thanks x
I particularly like the Zazen Boutique Resort, it's one of my favourites in Thailand!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.