Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
It is a thought going to a fancy restaurant and possibly getting soaked and floured along the way!

Yes, knowing how long it takes me these days to put on my slap and dry and straighten my hair before going out of an evening, I don't think I'd be too happy if I walked out of my hotel and immediately got drenched and covered in flour :cry:

Elaine
Wet met up with a German on a trip in Hua Hin who had had no idea about Songkran and been drenched as soon as he left his hotel by a boy with a water pistol. He got such a shock he said he clipped the boy round the ear then realised that the boy was bemused and had obviously not thought he was in the wrong. ( It is to wish good luck and fortune!) He felt awful when he found out about Songkran!
Fiona

Wondered if you could tell me a bit about Jim Thomsons. We will be in Bangkok for a weekend and planned to go to the Grand Palace on the Sunday, is Jim Thomson's nearby? What does it sell and could you elaborate on the lunch you had there? Will be travelling with 2 kids in tow (9 & 11) will they be ok there.
By the way I noticed you mentioned handbags, I am an avid collector, could you tell me the best place for bargains?
Sorry for all these questions!!!
I should have guessed by your name that you collect handbags! You can get loads of fakes at the market. I bought from Jim Thompsons and also I liked Central Mall for shopping. If you have a particular designer one in mind price it up at home and then try Central or Siam Paragon.( Not all the designs in Paragon were much cheaper though!)
RE JTs house have a look at their website here.
He produced silk and was passionate in his love of Thailand. He built his house as an oasis in the bedlam of Bangkok- all loving done in Thai style and filled with Thai art and artifacts. He disappeared mysteriously when on holiday in the 1960s - I think he was in Borneo. You get guided tours.The grounds are very jungle like and beautiful and the restaurant is situated within the grounds ( although they now have a new indoor seating area) Outside you eat next to a pool with koi carp in it. I liked it for its food, menus similar to countless other Thai places but the setting makes a difference as well. Very peaceful. I cant say I studied the menu with children in mind so I can't really think what they had for kids but there were youngsters eating there!

If getting a skytrain you get off at National Stadium and it is well sign posted. You can easily get there and its well worth an hour plus time to eat and shop! I would highly recommend Nancy Chandlers maps that I talked about in my report!
Thanks for that info Fiona.
Will be looking specifically for a Christian Dior bag!
Great report Fiona have only just got round to reading it fully. I don't think anyone else can say anymore about the place's you seem to cover everything. It sound's like you went on the same Mekong trip as we did, we chose that one as it was slightly different than the one we did on our last visit there.We decided not to do the tunnel's again as nothing had changed on that trip. Must say my only concern of returning to HCM was the bike's and crossing those road's but I just grab the arm of a local and hope for the best, apparently there is alot of paper work and a huge fine if they hit a tourist so they would rather run into each other and how they miss each other I will never know you really have to see it to believe it don't you.
I would love to hear how you got on on your travels!
Excellent report Fiona! Will definitly be using it for my next trip!
Fiona, you've certainly set the benchmark for holiday reports this year!! No pressure on the rest of us then :lol:
I've actually been out and bought a little travel log so that I can make notes as we go in September - that way it'll be easier to write when we get back!!
I do cheat a little! Husband writes up notes each day and I use them for my report.
Fiona loved your report, do you think you will return to Vietnam? if so where next? I am looking into it for next summer, shirleyV
We will def return to Vietnam. We are looking at Hanoi next.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.