Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Have just got back from this hotel and was very impressed with it. I am not in a wheelchair but i do hire a scooter whilst on holiday and this hotel was more than accessable. There is ramped access to the front, the reception area is huge and there are 3 lifts which are wide enough for wheelchairs but the annoying thing is there are no disabled toilets in this hotel which i found very strange and the normal toilets, once inside, have a step up to them.

There are a number of disabled rooms on the 1st floor which have walk in showers and a grab rail and there are pull down grab rails on both sides of the toilet

The dining area is on the ground floor which is reached by the lift and a ramp which looks quite steep ( i only saw it through the glass doors) but other wheelchair users managed it.

It as a rooftop pool which is accessed through a normal sized door (which will have to be held open) and then a ramp, with handrail up to the levelled area.

At this time of year the hotel is ideal as its on the seafront and across the road from the marine with lots of bars and restaurants nearby but a lot of them have at least one step to get into it, but in high season i can imagine it being a nightmare as there are 5 nightclubs in the side street and it would get very busy but lucky for us 4 of these were shut.

Fuengirolla as a resort is ideal for people with walking difficulties, wheelchair uses or anyone who uses or hires a scooter because the seafront is very flat and there are drop down kerbs/ramps everywere and the staff at this hotel are very helpful towards people with disabilitys.

Taxi from the airport to this resort is between 30 and 35 Euro's and takes about 20/25 mins.

I have wrote this, as i find its very hard to find proper info about holiday resorts/hotels. Hope this helps and hopefully other people will try and do the same, :D
Thank you very much, I am in the same position as you and would hire a scooter in resort.

You are right, there is very little info around for those not in wheelchairs but with very limited mobility.

I found your report extremely helpful.

Patka
Hi Patka

Glad you found the report helpful and it would be nice if more people could do the same as it would help an awful lot. I have tried 4 different companys on the costa del sol but have always found the one listed below as the best because the owner as a disability so she no's how important it is to get things right. They also offer a 24 hour emergency number, insurance (including liability insurance), try to get to you within 30 mins should it break down, free delivery to your accommodation and there own workshop with an english mechanic, all that for 95 euros (about £65) for a large 4 wheel scooter for 1 week (would be cheaper if you only need a 3 wheel one). I have used these 4 times now and never had any problems and found them to be the best.

http://www.mobility-spain.com/

Barry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.