Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hiya

You can see my post about the Phenicia here:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13153

We went half board, so I can't comment directly on the AI deal, but we did eat in the main restaurant one lunchtime and didn't think that the selection was as good as for dinner. Drinks prices were about on a par with the UK. I think it would depend on what you like doing and how much you're likely to drink as to whether AI was best for you or not. We only spent £180 between us on lunches, trips out and drinks (apart from the Sahara trip) so for us it definitely wouldn't have been worth it.

Any other questions, just ask.
Hi, I'm new to the Tunisia forum (usually glued to Turkey as we take most of our hols there!). We wanted a week's break during the Easter school holidays and eventually settled on a week at the Phenicia in Hammamet on 9th April. Are hoping we have made a good choice as the reviews on this site seem ok. I'd be really grateful if anyone could give us any useful first time info/tips .... especially regarding currency and any pitfalls we may need to know about Monastir airport! Also, what trips would be available from Hammamet ... my partner has mentioned jeep safaris? We are not taking our children this time so probably won't need water parks etc!

Cazz
Hi Cazz

You can see my review of the Phenicia in the Hotel reviews section on this site. I'm sure you won't be disappointed - it's lovely hotel. The exchange rate is fixed across the country, so you will be fine to change money at the hotel. We used to go to the exchange desk every morning to change some notes into smaller denomainations and coins for tips and taxi fares. Monastir airport was ok - we had to queue for a bit to get through passport control but it wasn't that bad. As for excursions, we were only there for a week but we managed to fit a 2 day desert safari (booked via our rep), a trip to Tunis on the train, a trip to the zoo at Friguia Park and a visit to Carthageland (all done off our own steam). I'm sure you'll find plenty to do!
Hi Corinne,

Thanks for your reply ... I had read your reviews on the hotel and am looking forward to staying there. A couple of things I was wondering about ....
are there cashpoints in Hammamet? and also, I notice some people mention prices in Euros ... are these readily used in Tunisia and if so, would life be easier if we took them? Thanks, Cazz
Thanks for that Briar .... cashcards and sterling it is then!
We did go to the Phenicia last may and really enjoyed it.

Great modern rooms and a great view of the sea. Nice to have a fridge and safe.

Food was lovely and we were half board.

We met some lovely people,most had been there regularily.

We are booking to go the same this year..cant go wrong for the price.

Does anyone know if it is just now all inclusive as i cant get a price for half board. thanks
We booked all-inclusive to the Phenicia online with Thomas Cook but they offered a half-board option also. Hope this helps, Cazz
we have booked an all inclusive to this hotel in june and after reading some holiday reviews, i would like to know are the hotel staff really this un friendly to all inclusive people...... :?
hi just booked this hotel .
AI anyone give me help?
is bottled water available free?
we stayed in les oranger last year and you could help your self to a bottle or 2?
any other advice would be great.
thanks
We got back from the Phenicia this morning .... will post a review soon. We got bottled water from the disco bar each evening and took this back to the room with no problems, though they discourage taking drinks out of the bars ... a large handbag may prove useful! Any other questions, please ask away! Cazz
thanks for your reply.
did you go all inc?
we stayed at the les oranger last year and we cant return as for some reason you can only hold 2 adults in the rooms availble in nov(well through out the year) so gone for this hotel.
Any other info would be so helpful? like security/changing money etc? cheers :P
Hi Karen,

Yes, we did go AI. Most staying at the Phenicia seemed to be on AI but as HB was available as well you had to show photo ID (provided by reception) for drinks/meals and also sign which became a pain!

The hotel is clean and rooms were fine ... a bit basic but ok. The best thing about this hotel for me was the staff who were extremely efficient and bent over backwards to help with anything and everything. The food was ok ... not enough variety but we certainly didn't starve, though this is the only time I have ever been on an AI holiday and actually lost weight! We have previously stayed at Iberostar hotels in Mexico and found this hotel disappointing in comparison on many levels. Having said that, we met many people staying here who returned 2 or 3 times a year .... horses for courses I guess! Cazz
thanks for your reply.
sorry to ask you.
what was the pool like indoor? Last year when we went
it was to cold for the outdoor pool. used the indoor all the time.!
would you say it had enough food for children? pizza , chips etc?
hope you dont mind me asking!
ta karen :roll:
Hi Karen,

Don't mind answering your questions! The indoor pool was great in that it was linked to one of the outside pools and was ideal for children. There was also a lifeguard which is rare these days! To be fair, more people used this pool as it was heated but some did brave the main outdoor pool which was lovely to look at (though not heated!). We were surprised at the weather .... expected 70 degress and got between 75 and 90 every day with no rain! I imagine the outdoor pool will heat up very quickly if the weather stays this good. When are you going?
There were chips available in the dining room at lunch/dinner and there was a pasta bar where they made your own spag bols, pasta meals etc. to your choice, which was very popular with kids. Also, if you are on AI, there are snacks/cakes/coffee etc. available in the breakfast room between 2.30-5.30pm with pizzas also available. Freshly made crepes are also available during this time which went down very well with both kids and adults! The hotel shop sold crisps and chocolate but these worked out expensive. Hope this helps! Cazz
ihave just read that the hotel phenicia will be an all inclu from may on wards is this true? can anyone help
has anyone got view on this hotel???
Hi ,
We are visiting this hotel in 1 weeks time :D and we were wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to pay the Towel deposit by credit card?? We only want to do this as we will need our towels until the last day ( leaving late Afternoon) and as there are 6 of us we don't want to be stuck with 120 dinars to spend in the last few hours of our holiday, or risk having to pay 30% at the airport!
Thankyou in advance Lisa x
any gossip on the hotel?
going in nov and just wondering whats going on there?
what kind of food do they have for kids?
fussy 8yr old....help..........
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.