Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Brand new. In Olhos D'Agua about 7/8 minutes walk from the beach down a rather steep footpath at the back or down the road from the front.

The beaches are fairly wide and sandy with the usual beach bars etc.

There are a number of bars and restaurants in the road leading down to the beach. It isn't too steep a climb that way back! There is large Intermarche supermarket about half a mile away along the main road as well as number of smaller shops and a couple of banks a bit nearer.

Olhos D'Agua is about 2 miles from the 'Strip' end of Albufeira with its many shops, bars and restaurants catering almost entirely British tourists.

The old town area of Albufeira is getting on for 4 miles away. There are buses but they don't run in the evenings, so unless you have a car you will be depending on taxis if you are looking for a night out with a change of scenery.
I would be very surprised if this hotel is open by the summer, maybe later in the year. I usually stay in the riu Palace across the road which is lovely and the guarana has been in the process of being built for several years. Never seems to be much work going on. I would check with the Tour Operator. They may well take your booking and after your balance is paid put you into another hotel. I think it is a big chance to take.
Thankyou for the informaion. Sounds from your imput that we may be having a problem. The choice was made as we wanted an all inclusive holiday, good quality hotel. Our party consists of 4 adults, just looking to chill-out in the sun and be a bit pampered. What would the other Rui hotel you speak of offer us?.
Any info will help us decide what to do next. We have to pay the balance 15th April 2008.
Thanks again
Hi there. The hotel across the road RIU Palace is one of the top luxury RIU hotels. Not as many children as there would be at the all inclusive and food to die for, although they only do half board. (not that I am anti children, but I do work in a school and like my holidays to be a bit quieter, now my own children have grown up) I do like to go all inclusive sometimes myself, but the Palace sits on the cliff with gorgeous sea views, whereas the Guarana rooms will be blocked by the Palace hotel. I do think the Guarana will be nice when finished, but probably a lot busier. Although it doesn't look near finished from outside, it may be that they are concentrating on the inside, hard to tell. I would be pushing the Tour Operator to come clean as to when this will be finished. I always book the RIU Palace via their own website and use easyjet or Ryanair for flights, so normally don't deal with Tour Operators. The RIU website is taking bookings for this hotel from June. If the hotel is open and you decide to go ahead with your holiday you won't be disappointed. I have been to two all inclusive RIU hotels and they have been excellent. Good luck.
To update. Thomson now say hotel should have opened May 1st 2008. Now 1st June 2008. Have given written notice for a difinitive answer within 14 days, obtained signature on copy letter of delivery.
Thomson have rung to say they operate 28-day reply service. Informed them this was unacceptable, as it takes us past the final payment date. We await!!!
Their website states it's opening Summer 2008 and will allow me to book for June. Here's their email address clubhotel.guarana@riu.com

It also states it's a 15 min walk from the Praia da Falesia beach

Have added the hotel to our review site.
Thankyou. Have emailed the hotel for information.
Hotel emailed back. Stating that they open June 2008, hoping to be 1st June ?????????????????. So do we.
Thomson wrote a letter to ourselves, saying sorry for our disappointment of our holiday. They are looking into our complaint and will respond within 28 days.
WHAT planet do these people live on, could not have read the letter, frightening.
Personally I would cancel and demand any deposit back. Then book with another operator as this is totally unnaceptable. 28 days would not leave you with much chance to book anywhere else if the hotel is not open. Tour operators seem to forget most people have to save hard for holidays??

Hope all works out for you.

Lummie
I've also booked to go to Guarana on the 19th June so I would be interested in any information you get from Thomson.
Pro-forma letter back from Thomson. Never answered query about hotel being open. Just wished us a good holiday. Any problems would be sorted by Thomson Customer Care team if the need arises. What does that mean???
As previous post from me shows. Hotel have emailed myself , stating open June 2008.
I will be over that way Sunday morning, so I will take a nose around and post my inexpert view as to the state of affairs, probably Sunday evening maybe Monday morning.
Hi there i have also booked same hotel for mid july so would be grateful of any info, thanks
If you would like to see what the place looked like this morning, I took a few pictures which you can see at my webspace
http://thomasallen.spaces.live.com

There were some encouraging signs, like curtains in a lot of the windows, but outside they have still a lot of work to do in the next six weeks or so before the opening day.

I shall leave you to draw your own conclusions.
Thankyou for your imput. Well !!. What can I say. Perhaps we will be allowed to drive the diggers or help decorate. This forum certainly helps. Many many thanks again
Well, I stayed at Hotel Rui Guarana from 5th - 12th June, and had an absolutely fantastic time. The only 2 things that I could say didn't meet the Thompson's brochure, was the sun beds are not made of wood with cream cushions, but the usual plastic, and also the swim up bar, although finished was not up and running. However, the staff are fantastic at speaking English and are so helpful. When you arrive make sure you get the free bottles of water from everyday. The girls/fellas who do the entertainment during the day and some nights are fabulous. Jeffrey is so funny and friendly. There is lager, hot drinks and soft drinks on tap by the bar during the day, but if you like something stronger or different, then then the staff at the bar are always there to assist. You have to try the Asiatic Restaurant; it's gorgeous. The Main Restaurant serves I have to say similar food at lunch and night, but very good selection and quality. The Hotel itself is a bit out on a limb, with a few shops around, but the main resort of Albuferia by taxi, which Reception phone, cost us 10 euros to get to and 5 euros back. Hope this helps
I took a couple of pictures there the other day so if you haven't been there yet and want to see what it looks like please visit my webspace http://thomasallen.spaces.live.com and view the most recent album.
Thankyou for all the info. At least its open and up and running.
we arrive 26/06/08, 4 adults for a chill-out week.
Thanks again Cubsur.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.