Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
I have been to Gran Canaria 3 times and can highly recommend the IFA Hotel. It is situated at the bottom of Playa De Ingles so is away from the busier bars but there is a local parade of nice shops for souveniers, duty free and clothes nearby as well as eateries. If you want some livelier action it is not far away, try the Irish Centre for a knees up and party atmosphere or the Yumbo if you like drag acts. Avoid the Casba it is full of drunken teenage girls and lecherous blokes.
The IFA Continental is only a 3* but should be rated much higher. The food is amazing and holiday reps travel all over the island to eat there. Although you can only book half-board, you won't need any more food than what is provided at breakfast until dinner but there is a poolside bar restaurant which is cheap if you get peckish and several times in the week the chef does demonstrations of Spanish dishes on the day's menu.
The hotel itself is very clean with marble flooring and an outside auditorium with awnings. The pool area is very picturesque with palms and flowers surrounding the 3 pools and secluded jacuzzis. There are 2 fashion shows a week around the poolside which were very popular with the women.
Rooms are spotless and spacious but request a poolside view as it is more scenic.
The atmosphere is relaxed and there are plenty of lounge areas inside as well as shaded areas near the pools. There are 3 pools; one for children (only saw a maximum of 5 all holiday), one for those who wanted some poolside fun and a quieter one for those who just want to sunbather in peace. There is day and night-time entertainment if you want to see shows, acts or join in a bit of fun. The entertainers are friendly and put on some great shows like Phantom Of The Opera, Joseph, Sister Act and Grease. Outside entertainers were excellent; we saw the Drifters last time we were there.
There were not that many British people in the hotel when we went but we made friends with two couples from England as well Dutch, French, Danish and German people who we stay in touch with.
We have been to Tunisia, Greece, Majorca, Crete, Corfu, USA and mainland Spain and have yet to find a better place to stay for food, entertainment, quality service and beautiful surroundings. We will be going back this year in October.
We only paid £400 each for 2 weeks but prices might have increased within a year but a friend got it on a late deal, allocated on arrival for around £350 for the week.
If you want further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards,
Sue.
Hi

If you like a large swimming pool try the Buenaventura Hotel in Playa Del Ingles. Thers more than one and the hotel is not too far from the beach. Rooms have a lounge area and are very comfortable. I recommend this hotel.

Drew
Hi,
I to agree with Drew the Benaventura is excellent. it is a large hotel with 2 big swimming pools, one is english and one german :D :D don't worry the English have the better pool it has rope bridges and whirl pools. The food here is great the best that i have had for 3*, brekkie was fresh fruit juice one morning, and made in front of you. This hotel also has a English bar in it.
Is in a cul de sac but not to far from anything, especially the irish centre.

Just follow the big A home.
Im going to the buenaventura on 1st august2005 and at first i thought i had made the wrong decision..i read reviews bad and good, a holiday is what you make it...
chk out the website for the hotel
http://www.creativbuenaventura.com (or something like tht) :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.