Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
That's what I do Tony, apart from having a very cheap last minute to the Prazares in Candolim on one occasion. I can see the lure. I'm not interested in hotel entertainment, and like to wander at my leisure to eat in an evening, and like to have a snack where I stay when I want one - made by my O.H.s fair hand in our own kitchen area ;)
And it costs me less. I can make my own bed too, if need be! I'm really not bothered about a pool either, which can also reduce the price somewhat.
We are doing the same for xmas and new year this time, we stayed in an hotel in january but much prefer to do our own thing, staying in a 2 bed apartment for a month and has not cost us any more than 2 weeks in an hotel, so very happy. :tup
Don't understand why you would feel that staying in a hotel ties you down on an evening, most offer BB basis which leaves you free to do as you like re eating and entertainment.
Staying in an hotel is very restrictive, if you feel that you don't want to go out after a long day, by staying in an apartment, you can cook yourself a snack, watch a bit of tv, or sit on the balcony and have a drink, in relative peace and quiet, I far prefer hiring an apartment, you don't have to get up to let the maid in, you can do what you want within reason, we had friends over for a few drinks and a meal without having to go to the resturant first, it is like home from home.
my query was in response to..........
in fact it was quite pleasant to have light bite to eat when we pleased without having to stick to hotel meal times and allowing us to eat in restuarants of our choosing in the evening

I agree that you do not have to get up for the maid in an apartment but a word with management stating that you do not need clean towels/ sheets etc and a "do not disturb" sign has the same effect in a hotel.
It is a matter of personal choice but I for one do not find hotels restrictive (apart from having friends in ).
depends how long I was staying. If you only go B&B then you can please yourself where you eat. No-one would come in to clean my room before I handed my keys in.If I were staying long term then I would def look for a villa but I am unlikely to want to stay in for the day in a normal holiday :) . But, we are all different and whats right for one does not have to be the same for the other.
Hiya ....Ive been searching for ages tring to find private accomodation....what sites did you come up with please .....dont know what Im doing wrong but couldnt find anywhere when we went in Feb and stayed in a guest house .so now starting early for next Feb..Thanks in anticipation :wave: Liz
holiday rentals uk and holiday lettings uk is a good place to start
We have done the private house thing and really enjoyed it although I must say that personally I missed having a pool as we didn't have one with our accomodation. (we could use the hotel pool next door though) I am not one for swimming in the sea (never have been really) and prefer a pool. Its so nice to come home for a cooling dip after a long hot day out exploring. I did enjoy being self contained and it was nice to be able to invite people round etc., but their were elements of hotel life that I missed as I always enjoy the daily/ongoing banter we have with the staff and I do enjoy meeting other guests ( we have made many a good friend at various hotels over the years). We may do DIY in a small guest house next year, one with a pool and where we will, to some extent, get the best of both worlds. Just depends on the price :tup
Thanks to all who replied on the page and those who pmd me :wave: .....Im delighted to say we have got somwhere for Feb off one of the well reccomended sites ....the 1st honeybee will be a cheers to you all :cheers ....Liz
we used to have a few members advertise their own property on the private rentals forum but now we only have one.
For those who do have property in Goa( or even elsewhere) I'd like to point out that if you are a helpful and regular contributor on HT you can post an ad for free on the private rental forum. There are T&Cs to abide with of course.
Take a look at the forum here :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.