Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi,

The further south the better, so Crete is a good bet perhaps, or Santorini, Rhodes or Kos. I've been all except Rhodes around the beginning of October, and had mostly great weather (some overcast mornings).

The east of Crete is less likely to get rain than the west in October. Average temperatures around 22-25 degrees. The south of the island is likely to be a degree or two warmer than the north.
You could possibly get some rain on any of the islands though October.

I believe that Rhodes gets slightly less rain over the year than Crete, and Santorini less still.

It then depends what you want as well. I went to Santorini the second week of October a couple of years ago, and a number of tavenas began to close whilst we were there, it was fairly quiet. It didn't spoil my holiday as I wanted a quiet and relaxing time, but some may find it too quiet I guess.

I'm sure that other people will have more information on this subject.
I've been quite a few places in Greece for the first week in October - latest returning to the UK from Rhodes on 15th October - and everywhere from the Ionian Islands, the Peloponnese right down to Crete. The weather has generally been good, as Phoebe says, around mid 20s C but cooler at night so you may need a light jacket to sit out - good new is you won't need the aircon. We've sometimes had a shower, usually a thunderstorm that has cleared in an hour or two, we've never had enough rain to spoil the holiday, usually just half a day out of a week.
Hi :!:

We too have been to Zante and Corfu in the past 2 years both at the beginning of October. (First & second weeks)

In 05 we went to Zante and it really was still hot, we had one day which was rather cloudy and a couple of nights with storms but still managed a fantastic tan and swam every day 8)

Last year we went to Corfu the same weeks, we had about the same with just one day of cloud and a bit of rain with a thunder storm. Again it was very warm, I swam every day! 8)

Obviously it is not going to be as hot as in July/Aug etc but we do find that we can do more in the way of walking etc.

I also agree that the evenings are a bit chillier and we always take a fleece to make sure we don't get cold!

We are off to Corfu again on the 1st October this year and will be very happy to get the same as we did last year
:!:
thanks for your replies....

still a little unsure!! got to choose which island, then think which resort!! then the apartments!!! aaarrrrgh this is stressful!

thinking towards zante on 5th october for 1 week. just hope its nice! or maybe rhodes. hmmmm... dunno!!!

anyone care to choose for me??! we are a couple aged 23....like nightlife but not rowdy areas. nice restaurants as we like to eat out for breakfast and at night. has to be enough to do in the way of trips watersports shops ect to keep us busy. and a beach thats not shingle is a bonus!

please help!!
Take a look at Argassi (Zante) in the resort reports. I think it might be up your street and I think it's cheaper there than Rhodes. Good Luck!
I would say maybe Laganas :!:

As you are quite young it would be right up your street with the bars etc 8)

As I am older, I prefer the quieter Kalamaki which is other end of the bay to Laganas :wink:

Wherever you decide, I expect you will have a great time :D
Id go with Rhodes or Crete rather than Zante personally. Its more about choosing the right resort. It doesnt sound like the likes of Faliraki are your type of thing (me either) but in Rhodes Lindos and Pefkos are really pretty mid-sized resorts.

Malia in Crete gets a bad rep because of the main strip but the old towns really nice and there is always Stalis which is a bit quieter or one of the other resorts.

Ive been to Zante twice, Laganas and Argassi and wouldnt want to go back, same with Kos.

Good luck deciding!
See it all comes down to personal preference :evil:

I have been to Crete and didn't rate it that well :cry:

I have also been to Rhodes and although I liked it, I still prefer the Ionian Islands personally :!:

I did try Mallorca one year and hated every minute of it :twisted: So that was that and I would never think of ever going anywhere but Greece again :!:
I think for any of the islands (or Greek mainland) choosing the right resort for you is the main thing. We prefer quieter islands and resort - no noisy bars, discos, etc - but even the busier resorts can be relatively quiet in October. Most islands, even those with a party reputation also have quieter corners, especially out of season. It also depends if you want to stay in resort or (like we do) hire a car or use public transport to tour around. I've never been disapointed on a Greek holiday, some resorts I liked better than others but we've always found plenty to see and do, quiet corners to explore, good food and friendly people! :D
How does Samos compare off to that island soon and as it is near Turkey is it hot hot hot or not not not?

It seems quite nice from what we can glean from the web and my friends went there a couple of years ago and raved about it.

Can't wait for this hol ..... :hyper
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.