Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
I always assumed it's because it looks a bit like the Yellow Brick Road in the film, the way it winds about and it's made of bricks. Dorothy and her mates weren't driving, so maybe the "real" one was a footpath as well!
Yes, that would seem to be a possibility. I was wondereing if it was just referred to by this name by the Tourists, or the Locals as well?

As its such a well used footpath and often referred to by Tour Guides and Holiday Reps to help 'newbies' to Benidorm find their way around, I think it would be nice if the authorities could 'do it up' a bit. Give it a bit of a 'facelift' so to speak. The actual bricks are filthy and covered in grime, but a good jet wash would get rid of all that, and there is also a little rockpool area that is now dry. It would be nice to see that filed with water again and a few more plants would not go amiss.

I was just intrigued to know as to the 'origins' of this landmark, and if there was any history associated with it.
Hi i really don't know the answer to that question, but i know a man who just might! i have emailed James Adam hypnotist from Pancho's he lived in benidorm for years so he might know :)
Hi i really don't know the answer to that question, but i know a man who just might! i have emailed James Adam hypnotist from Pancho's he lived in benidorm for years so he might know

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that. I know its a bit of a trivial question that I have asked, but everytime I go to Benidorm, and hear people refer to "The Yellow Brick Road", it always set my mind wondering how this little pathway got its quaint little name.

So thank you once again, much appreciated :thanks
hi :wave
I can find nothing to explain why this footpath is called the yellow brick road anywhere. :cry:
I agree with Colin, I think someone just called it that one day because it resembled or reminded them of the "road" in the original Wizard of Oz film....which of course was in black and white format.
Someone giving directions to someone else calling it this..... and then the next person, etc etc etc.....
I guess that`s how legends and nick names are created. :shrug
El camino del ladrillo amarillo is Spanish for the yellow brick road :wink: and I`ve never heard a Spaniard call it that, so it must be a tourist thing.!
besos xxx
Sanji
Yes. Calle Murcia is its name...or official name :D

besos xxx
sanji
Well, it would seem that 'The Yellow Brick Road' is indead a tourist expression. The Spanish name for this little pathway is nowhre near as memorable. Do anyone know how long this little winding pathway has been called as such? Or when the name was first used? Does it go back as far as the 90's, the 80's, the 70's even?

You know, I'd love to paint it the little bricks in a pale yellow colour and see little sort of statuettes of characters from The Wizard Of Oz placed at strategic intervals along the way. Would'nt that be quaint? The kids would certainly love it.

The Authorities could commision local artists to build little effigys out of used car parts or something. Just like the little metal animal statues in that little dried up river bed area, now a litle park of sorts, on the little road that extends from the Ava de Filipinas down to the beach. Afterall, there are already at least two statues in Resort that have been constructed from old car engines and bits. Do you know the statues I mean? I know they have been in resort for at least fifteen years now.

I prefer Sanji's spanish translation to be honest. I must learn to memorise that, and to listen out for it in resort next time I'm there, hopefully next Christmas. :lol: :fly
Hi BHIC, Do you mean the part where all the Cats are by the Beachrock Bar? if so i stayed right next to it C/mas 04, it was where the Peamen plied their evil trade :twisted:

Lizzie
I think when the yellow brick road was constructed it was made from yellow bricks, not bright yellow but that sort of yellow toned brick you sometimes see. Hence its nickname. If you look carefully you can still see some yellow around the edges. Wear and tear over the years has blackened it. We have been trying to recall when it was built, it must have been some time in the 70s.
Hi BHIC, Do you mean the part where all the Cats are by the Beachrock Bar? if so i stayed right next to it C/mas 04, it was where the Peamen plied their evil trade

Yes, thats correct, at least I think I know where you mean. The pathway starts right at the top near the Rio Park Hotel, (Not sure of the name of that road, but its where all the excursion coaches stop for trips out of the Rio and the Castilla Hotels. It then runs down inbetween the Rio Park Hotel entrance on the left, passing right by the entrance, and the Castilla Hotel kitchens on the right.

You then cross over the road, and there is a Bar on the left and tarmaced football pitches on the right. You then cross over another road, and on the right there are a few shops, a hair dressing salon and also on the right there is a sort of indoor shopping area, a little bit run down and always seems empty? with a large wooden water wheel (not currently in use) and then it stops when you reach the next main road.(again not sure what that road is called).

Yes, indeed there are a lot of cats to be seen in the area, ( you are advised NOT to touch them, or stroke them for obvious reasons incidentally) and also you get people touting for business for the nightclubs and bars up and down the pathway. You might also come across reps touting for business for the Free Blanket Trips.
Its a very well used pathway and is always busy day and night. Mind you, with all the overhanging trees, its not that well lit and may be a little diconcerting for the lone traveller late at night, but I have neve heard of any crime taking place on this pathway, so please do not be put off.

I can't say I've ever seen the infamous 'Pea Men' operating on this pathway, but thats not to say they don't, I've just never seen them there myself.

I'll have to take a closer look at some of the bricks next time I'm there. Still think it could do with a blooming could scrub down with a jet wash and maybe a lick of paint. :shrug
Hi BHIC, Sorry, :roll: I may have confused you, i know where the yellow brick road is, i was referring to the "little park" by the beach where the metal animal statues are.

Lizzie.
Hi BHIC, Sorry, I may have confused you, i know where the yellow brick road is, i was referring to the "little park" by the beach where the metal animal statues are.

Lizzie.

Oh right, yes I know the 'little park with the animal statues'. No, thats not the 'landmark' to which I was making enquiries about.

I think my original question has probably been answered in as much as it can be now, :roll: so thanks to all that have replied. :thanks

However, if any other HT Members can shed any further light on the origins of this local 'landmark (The Yellow Brick Road, I mean. Not the Little Animal Park), I would be very interested to read your replies. So please keep posting if you can add anything further to the origins of 'The Yellow Brick road'Thanks everyone :

Quote: Do you know the statues I mean?

Hi Bihic, this was the question I was referring to !!. :oops:

I too think someone should smarten the Yellow Brick Road up, as its quite scary walking down there in the dark!! :omg I only venture that way when the "men" are with us.

Lizzie.
I too think someone should smarten the Yellow Brick Road up, as its quite scary walking down there in the dark!! I only venture that way when the "men" are with us.

I'm very glad to hear that. Yes, sadly its not a very good place for a lone female, or a lone male for that matter, to be strolling up or down The Yellow Brick Road in darkness. There are street lamps in situ in along its route, but not nearly enough and they are not very bright. The overhanging trees and shrubs obliterate most of the light.

It would not take very much to brighten up this pathway, and to make it more pleasurable, and safe to use. A good jetwash would remove the years of grime ( how much would that cost? not a great deal I would not have thought ). A few more street lamps, maybe a few more benches....it can get a bit exhausting walking up the slight incline for the more senior citizen. And some little statues or ornaments would add the finishing touches.

Hi Lizzie, the statues to which I am referring, there are at least two that I know of. They are life sized statues of men, they look like some sort of guards. One is located on the corner of the pedestrian zone near Lineker's Bar, and the other is to be found on the Ava De Mediteraneo outside a Hotel, (can't remember which one now sorry). They are both constructed out of old motorcycle and car engine parts. They are going a bit rusty now, they have been stood there for many years as far as I'm aware.

I was thinking a couple more statues like that, and some of the little animals that you mentioned in that little park near the sea front would transform The Yellow Brick Road overnight. (well not litterally, but you know what I mean)

Please readers, do NOT be put off by all this talk of filth and grime and being unsafe at night. Its not as bad as it appears. Its a lovely little footpath and its very convienient to use if you want to get to the beach without passing all the bars and shops.

But my advise would be to excercise caution, or maye should I say common sense, if you use it late at night
Hi everyone. As you can see, I've got myself a new picture. Well, actually I did'nt. It was with a lot of help from Sanji. Many thanks Sanji! :thanks

I think its just perfect. But on a serious note, I hope I;ve not bored anyone with this thread. Its just I'm always keen to know how certaion things get their name, or how certain legonds are born.

The origins of The Yellow Brick Road has always intrigued me.

(singing) "We're off to see the Wizard.............."
I can just picture you skipping down the road to Tesco singing that song ! :wink

David :wave
I can just picture you skipping down the road to Tesco singing that song !

Hi David. Pleased to meet you. I have actually 'played' the Tin Man many many years ago in a school play. Well maybe not that many years ago. And I can still recall it vividly. Maybe thats why I have an interest as to how a little pathway in Benidorm came to be know as 'The Yellow Brick Road'.

Oh, I put the wrong pic on, so I've just changed it to this one which moves! I must remember to congratulate myself as I'm no pc teccy and I've just PM'd Sanji to ask for her help. What a lovely lady she is. She has been so helpful, and she puts herself out to 'check out' certain places while she is on her OWN holiday, just to help other holidaymakers. How many people would actually give up precious time from their own holidays to do that for others? Many thanks Sanji. :thanks

Oh, I don't like Tesco's by the way. I much prefer Asda (still singing)....."We're off to see the Wizard..................." :yipee :hyper :wave
BHIC.
Steady on....you`ll be putting everyone off their Sunday lunch. :oops: http://bestsmileys.com/toliot/13.gif
I`ll send you the cheque next week. :wink:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
This will help
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=28571

Besos xxx
Sanji
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.