Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
andyquid,

Best think to do is spend plenty of time in the sun! The minimum recommended SPF is 15 and should be aplied regularly, especially after swimming. It depends on the brand you use (read the label!), but I'd normally apply SPF 15 in the morning and again in the afternoon. You're normally ok if you just have a quick dip in the pool / sea if its a water resistant brand, but after 5 or 10 minutes of swimming, I'd re-apply. It's best to avoid the mid-day sun if it's really hot, unless you are one that can stand it! Location doesn't make much difference; pool or beach as long as you're in the sun. The beach will generally have more of a breeze unless the pool area is open which can be cooler, but also very decieving (might feel cooler than it actually is). In Mombasa last week, it was 34 degrees and 80% humidity, I struggled to sit out in it between 12pm and 2pm as the equitorial sun is blistering if you aren't careful. It's nice to have some shade for a couple of hours and then get back out there in the afternoon. Everyone is different though, what works for one may not work for others. The main thing is to protect yourself from burning (and joining the Lobster club, saw plenty of members last week!!).

Darren
Not cheap but, IMVHO, the best: Green people.

All natural ingredients, mostly organic.
Their SPF15 with tan accelerator "does exactly what it says on the tin" to coin a phrase.

Mark
There are 8 pages in the general forum on the very same subject of tanning and various products http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=125776
As we were leaving last year a chap came up to the bar who had obviously done some serious sunbathing ! We hadn't seen him at all in the 2+weeks we'd been there !
He was a white man but his skin was the colour of someone more like African ! (to be honest it looked odd)

Joking I said "see you've just arrived" and got chatting to find basically he'd been smearing himself with suncream all day long, every day and staying out in the sun from up till down !...

Steve
I spent a few years in the tropics and the advice given to me was to have a hot shower an hour or so after you come out of the sun - about as hot as you can stand but obviously not so hot that it's painful. It makes the skin sting for a few seconds but then settles down. Lots of soap or shower gel.
Then dry off and put on some after sun.

Do that for two or three days and the tan really starts to develop.

I think the secret is A) Don't overdo it and burn, and B) keeping the skin hydrated (hence the shower, etc)

It helps to start off in the morning, say from 10 to 12, using a decent SPF (15 or so - more if you're very light skinned) and keep moving!! I mean 20 minutes face down, then turn over for 20 minutes, alternating between head towards the sun and then feet towards so that you tan fairly evenly. If you get too hot go in the pool or the sea for five minutes.
Also, its sensible at first to stay out of the sun from Midday through to about 2:00 which generally co-incides with lunch and a drink anyway - that's the time many people get burned.
If you feel up to it, maybe another hour in the afternoon although at first you're better off sitting in the shade under a parasol/beach umbrella - remember that a sandy beach or paved area around a pool actually reflects a lot of sun back up, so you can burn even if you think you're in full shade - keep putting on the SPF!
After a couple of days reduce the SPF factor but don't ever be tempted to not use anything

It works for me - my partner gets indignant at the fact that after 3 or 4 days I look like I've been there for months!

And of course the occasional cold Keo helps.....:-)
You often see other Europeans standing by the waters edge chatting in a circle - I've often wondered if they are just gossipping or really topping up their tans. (Wonder if the 'circle' moves round like a clock so they all get their fair share of 'evenness'. :lol: )
There's a saying here "you know you are in Cyprus when...... you go to the beach at night"

It's true, you will find all the "locals" go to the beach around 6pm. Not to get a tan, but to cool down... A dip in the sea followed by a frappe and a chin wag is the norm here in July & August!

However, in summer - we tend to find it's better to sunbathe either early morning or late afternoon. It's pleasant enough to be able to lie there without getting burnt. Before 11am is good and after 4pm is very nice. You should be able to lie in it with your suntan lotion applied and get a decent tan.

In the middle of the day, you run the risk of overdoing it, which means you won't be able to lie out and sunbathe the next day. From midday till after 3.30pm - it's better to stay under the shade.

No matter how dark skinned you are, it's also advised not to use less than f30. I lost a very good friend to skin cancer just after we moved out to live in Cyprus. She got very badly burned on her legs during one of her very first summer holidays abroad in Crete. She was fair skinned with red, to fair hair. She was in her early 20's at the time she got burned. The cancer came about in her early 30's and she died before she reached 37, leaving behind 3 children under 7yrs :(

It's just not worth the risk.

CwB
I agree with Cyprus100.

I always use F50 as fair skinned, but I always come home with a lovely tan.

The sun can be extremely hot, and by overdoing it the first day or so it can ruin your holiday as you will be too sore to sunbathe for at least a few days.

Kath x
I'm going on Friday for a few days and hoping to go a little darker.... ! :cheers
I always use Ambro solaire milk, milk tans better than lotion/creams. When factor 30 is applied, put ambro solaire brown oil on top, it tans you really brown and you still have factor 30 underneath, i come back black.
I use SPF10 Oil first few days then i move onto SPF4 tanning oil and then near end of holiday i use carrot oil SPF0

i came back nearly black :lol: but i love having a dark colour as it lasts longer when home.

I stay out from sun up and sun down AskCy you could be on about me as i had someone chatting to me about my colour.

I also find going in to the sea gets you a great colour as reflection from sun hits you
Good to see the message about the huge increase in skin cancer in the UK is getting through loud & clear :duh

Surely everyone by now knows that the factor has no bearing whatsoever on the "colour" you go it's purely down to how long you can safely stay in the sun without burning. :think
I agree Miss-Chief! My dermatologist told me not to use anything below 30 factor and anything under 15 is a waste of money.
I use the No-Ad brand and always come back with a lovely tan.Its available in lotion,cream and a spray.It is manufactured in Florida but is one of the most reasonable products here in the UK.Its available at Savers,Superdrug and TG Hughes. :sun2
I've used that myself Jay from Asda....the spray's excellent....and myself I stick to factor 20 & 15....never burn and always get a lovely safe tan :offtop
I never sit or lay in the sun on a lounger or whatever i get too bored!, i am up walking, swimming (sea!) always use a spf15, no lower, no higher i am dark anyway but i am the colour in 4 days what it takes people 2 weeks to get, i put it down to plenty of sea breeze and salt water and ALWAYS applying cream/milk, no sun between 12-3.00pm, siesta time, warm to hot shower after a day of sun, and plenty of aftersun thats been kept in the fridge, makes you dance a bit when the wife sprays it on but it feels so good. Just dont overdo it take your time and use plenty of suncream/milk, oils i dont touch, i dont need them. and enjoy.
People always have the miss conception that the lower the factor tans you more, it doesnt, all it does is make you red, peel, by that time the skin damage is already done, then cover up for 2 days and miss the holiday. Factor 30 is a must where ever i go, and i can stay in the sun as long as i want to knowing i am protected safely.
and also people (just joining in hehe) although its rained quite a lot here today i have still managed to catch the sun so even if the sun isn't out, your still catching it!

CourtneeLouise x
Anyone over there just now to tell us allwhat the weather has been like in the run up to the summer months!!?

I know they had the drought last year for months but just wondered if this is still an ongoing problem?

Roll on June 17th - 2 weeks at Tsokkos Paradise Village in Nissi Bay!! :sun2
It's not to bad actually, had rain at around 8am and then the sun was lovely after! Went for a drive around ayia napa/cape greko and it tipped down for a good 20 minutes at 4pm and had lots of sun after! It sure is gonna start warming up for summer now :) :sun2

CourtneeLouise
x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.