EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi Kayley (or should that be Marina?). I've tracked down the apartment you rent out, and must say that the website you use is not one I had heard of before. The first one I turn to is holiday-rentals.com and have not been let down yet. Using them again at Easter in Arroyo de la Miel.
Your apartment looks very nice indeed, and the outlook is superb. Just one observation. That double bed. I quite often head out on trips to Spain, with some golfing mates (men) and if I stumbled upon your apartment while looking for accommodation, I would move swiftly on.
I'd think about changing to two singles, and that way the golfers know they have a bed each during their rental, while those (of whatever gender) seeking a cosier arrangement always have the option of pulling them together.
Apart from that minor observation, the Mezquitilla apartment looks one I'd like to try out some time. As far as changeover day, Saturdays do, of course, make most sense, but flexibilty is the keyword as far as keeping your customers happy.
Have a prosperous 2006.
Tony.
PS Those search-engine words. Spain/Rental/Apartment/Costa del Sol.
Hi Kayley,we have always used ownersdirect website as I think the layout is brighter and easier to read,I always look on the holiday truths private rentals page but I guess this only works if you have your own website?,plus I would say if you didn't have a double bed I wouldn't book.
Hi Tony,

Glad to read your comments as we are going out in the next few weeks to furnish our new apartment in Los Alcazares with a view to appealing to golfers and have decided on single beds in both bedrooms but we are planning to put a double sofa bed in the lounge in the hope of attracting families as well thus maximising the booking potential.

Jackie
Many thanks for the replies.
Tony, I'm very impressed with your skills of detection!
Many thanks for taking the time to search out the listing site and make comments. We chose that listing company, having used them previously for a different property with good results. I did consider using H-R as they are on all the Google pages, and also Owners Direct, but having done a few searches today (and before reading your replies) decided to use "Holiday lettings". The ad should go live tomorrow.
I liked their siteand found it "user friendly", it came up frequently on Google and the price is good.One drawback with H-R is that they penalise you if you want a link to your own website and as I'm spending a lot of time at the moment trying to put a website together, I would really like to be able to use it. I hope I've made the right choice. Tony, If you have time to take a look at it, I'd welcome your feed back.
Re your comment about beds, I am happy to say that I can offer either a double or two singles, and will be changing my listings to reflect this. We went with the double as it came with the apartment and was in excellent, clean condition. We do have extra single beds in the house, though, and can easily offer them. Thanks for the tip. So Tony, if you'd like to book... :) Hope, I'm told the double is very comfortable... :lol: Seriously, Thank you both very much for the valuable feedback, and Tony, Baviera Golf 5 minutes away, Anoreta 15 minutes!
Yes, I will certainly look out for the new advert in Holiday Lettings and send you a private message in response. Wish you well with it. Tony.
Hi Kayley
We are in the process of opening a B&B in Mijas Pueblo and we have gone for single beds that can be joined together. They have two mattresses but when connected are great as a double but will suit golfing buddies when separated. This style of bed is very common on the continent and covers all options.
At Casa Caleta we have 4 rooms to let and each can be let separately so we are trying to be as flexible as we can with changeover days. We will be able to cope with overlapping bookings unless all 4 rooms are booked by a single group. In the past I was always frustrated by not being able to get midweek bookings and as you say, with the cheaper flights nowadays it would be good to cover that angle too. Maybe a choice of midweek or weekend changeover for "off season" would work. You may lose the odd days rental when one party leaves on say a wednesday and the next party arrives on the saturday but on the plus side you would have had a weeks rental from midweek to midweek or even a 10 day rental that you would have lost with only a saturday changeover.
I was grateful to see your opinions on the various websites. Several of our friends use H-R, but we won't be up and running until May/June, depending on the builders, so we are still looking around for sites to use.
All the best with the rental.
Hi Big Chiv. Stayed in Mijas Pueblo three weeks ago (at La Ermita) but did not see too many B&Bs on my many walks around the village. Where are you in relation to the tourist office and those braying donkeys?
Big Chiv,
If you haven't already seen it, take a look at the lay my hat forum at http://www.laymyhat.co.uk/forum It's a mine of information for anyone renting out property. Thanks for your kind comments and good luck with yours.
TA78, we haven't opened yet but we are very close to the Ermita development as the crow flies. They are building a new road from it that links up with the far end of the Pueblo and we will be on that new road. When it it is finished it will be a couple of hundred meters from our house to the tourist office.
At the moment we can be reached by the track that runs beneath the botanical gardens and the bull ring, past the stables where the donkeys sleep at night. So you have to go through the village past Plaza Constitucion and turn left at the rock where the rock climbers gather every weekend. We have a map on the website at casacaleta.com
Kayley, thanks for that link, a lot of interesting stuff there. All the best.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.