General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Just close family for us, A weekend city break is good with friends but the thought of two weeks is to much.

We had an extended family staying at the same hotel as us at last year and there always seemed some turmoil amongst the group :rofl it was quite entertaining...
I enjoy a mixture of both. As you say Helen, a group holiday is definitely different from a couple's holiday but both are really enjoyable in their own ways.

In a group although everyone's free to do as they please, the whole point of it is to enjoy each other's company in the main. Speaking personally, we have more of a laugh in a group and maybe try things or go places we wouldn't on our own e.g. this holiday we hired quad bikes which we probably wouldn't do if it was just hubby and I. Also, I love dancing which I don't get to do much of when it's just hubby and I because he doesn't dance :( So when I'm with sis we get on the dancefloor occasionally.

Holidaying as a couple also has its advantages. We don't have to take anybody else's wishes into consideration and no plans have to be made. My niece and her hubby holidayed with us (myself, sis and our OHs) for the first time a few years ago and niece's hubby used to think we were crazy when we'd plan what time we were going to go out in the evening. He couldn't understand why we had to have a plan as we were on holiday and we should 'go with the flow'. The problem is, if we all want to dine together it's no good one couple eating their lunch at 4pm and staying around the pool until 7 when others in the group are ready and waiting to go out for the evening at 6.30 :D

I do like quality time just with hubby and we've both really enjoyed our romantic weekly breaks over Easter and although I love group holidays I don't mind alternating our summer jollies with a couples one either.

To sum up how I feel about group holidays-

negatives- having to plan things
Too much drinks flowing

Positives- more of a laugh
more adventurous
Always on our own these days, that's if I can even get OH to go away on holiday and it must be over 35years since we went away with friends.
We were once having a week in Mallorca when my cousin was also on the Island and we met up for the day but wouldn't have wanted to spend the week with them and I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted it either. When away we like to do things when and where the mood takes us so it just wouldn't work if we were with others.

Though having said that, during the 1990's I did go away with my late parents a few times and twice another cousin came along. Although these holidays were quite nice, they were a totally different holiday to those I normally take, we spent lots of time sitting around the pool during the day and watching hotel entertainment at night, not my choice but what everyone else wanted to do and I was always ready to return home at the end of the holiday.
I think it depends on who was going to be holidaying with us.

I holidayed with friends last year and at times it did get .... :think .... tense .... but it was ok and generally we had a good time but I wouldnt do it again. I dont like the having to plan my day from breakfast through to the where we would sit to watch a live show and although we did say "wont live in each others pockets" it just felt that since we were going the same way then we should go together and we never had any time to ourselves.

Holidaying with family I think is much easier as you all know what you like and expect and usually can pick up each others moods and know when to avoid each other ;) One of our favourite holidays was our honeymoon when we were joined for the 2nd week by my parents, sisters & their OHs. It was like a honeymoon and a holiday in one.

Holidaying on our own (myself, hubby and daughter) is what suits me best though. I love not having to answer to anyone. Getting up when I please, staying in if I like, not having to put a smile on face if I really dont want to. This year's holiday was just that and was probably the best yet, very relaxed and chilled :sun2 We spent time in the bar and met some lovely people and made some lovely friends. If we were with other family, this I dont think would happen as you tend to stick with your group.

I can and do holiday in all sorts of different way, but for me it is holidays with just my little family.
We had several holidays with some people we met on one of our holidays.They were fabulous holidays because we really did our own thing during the day but met up every evening,they have 2 sons ,we have one and although we lived miles apart and only saw each other for one weekend and a 2 week holiday every year we all became the best of friends.Our son now holidays with his girlfriend and as we are not tied to school holidays any more we go on our own,we miss our friends' company and hope that we will go with them again when their youngest,16,leaves school.Hayley also refuses to visit Turkey which we love,we're hoping to change her mind as we can have at least 2 holidays there for the price of the last holiday we spent with them in Cyprus.
We've always holidayed just the four of us - me, husband, daughter and son, but now that they're 20 and 16, it's likely to be just the two of us from now on, and that suits me just fine. I couldn't think of anything worse than holidaying in a group. I think it's whatever suits you personally, but a group holiday wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. perhaps it's because I'm not from a large family, but holidaying "just us" is just how we like it. We can do our own thing without having to take anyone else into consideration.
I enjoy both, but probably holidaying as a couple would be just slightly more favourable. The only reason I say this is because hubby and I both have very stressful jobs and long hours, so it's lovely to be able to spend quality time together and have a little romance :)
I'm off on my own, just me on saturday. First holiday in seven years.
Just the two of us. I have even threatened to cancel a holiday when it was suggested that someone we know might like to stay at the same hotel as us.

fwh
We have gone away with a couple of friends a few times and recently holidayed with my sister and brother-in-law. which I loved, they went home a couple of days before us and I really missed them.
Personally I would only do it if I felt really comfortable with whomever we were going with, if I was unsure about anything I wouldn't consider it.
Our local pub has an annual getaway with around 30plus people going, now to me that would be a nightmare :yikes
In a few weeks we are away with my son and his girlfriend for a week but I expect they will sometimes do their own thing which suits me.
Usually it's just me and hubby though :tup
Caz
We do a mixture of both :) The four of us as a family and then the friends holiday.

In 2008 nine of us went to Florida together. We had days where we did things together and then other days when we went our own ways, and it worked well for us all :tup Again in 2009 we went away with the same family and had a fantastic time. Last year it was just us four. This year we went with one friend to Torremilinos, now she likes an afternoon nap, which is something that we never do, but each to there own isn't it? Tomorrow we go away us four, one of my daughters friends and my MIL, which I am really looking forward to. Then in October six of us go to Ibiza.

Next year is a different scenario though it shall be just the four of us for one holiday and a friend coming with us again back to Torremilinos. :wave:

I think if you know that you can all get on well and know what each other wants then it should not be a problem.
Our local pub has an annual getaway with around 30plus people going, now to me that would be a nightmare

It happens in our village too and I could think of nothing worse. One of the reasons we go away is to get away from everyone we know and see some new faces.
That would be my worst nightmare too. We have been away twice as a family group of 15, but with the eldest in their 60,s and the youngest just 1, everyone came and went as they pleased, and it worked well
Well I've done the lot - from me on my tod, with a friend, a couple of friends, family (parents and/or brother and his daughters), right up to 3 day Hogmanay houseparties for 60+ extended family and friends!

Each is different and meets a different need - can't really say that I have a preference for one over all the other options so long as I'm not stuck with just one. I enjoy all of them in different ways.

SM
Since it's just myself, I just go on my own. I could probably go on a small group holiday for around a week at most. But I'm so used to going on my own & doing my own thing, I would rather do-it-myself first, rather than the group holiday.

If I did go on a group holiday, would have to be something which everyone more or less had the same interests or visit the same sort of things/areas.
We're in a bit of a dilemma at the moment over whether our next holiday's going to be a family one (3 sisters and OHs). We generally enjoy the same things which makes it a good fun holiday. The problem at the moment is where do we go? We all fancy Cuba, but one of the hubbies doesn't cope very well with long flights. The only other places I'd consider going if it were just hubby and myself would be Dom Rep (for 3rd time) or back to Greece. One couple definitely don't want to return to Dom Rep and like the look of Portugal or Croatia.

Hence my dilemma- Do we go our own way or would it be best to go somewhere the others want to go in order to have a family holiday :que

We may have persuaded bil to try long haul one more time so it could very well be Cuba but if not, it's back to the drawing board.
We holidayed once and once only with all the family..that was me, Rob, the kids, both sets of parents and Rob's sister, husband and thier kids.
Never ever again.

We tend to holiday on our own and prefer it that way. We have gone as part of a dive group before and that was ok because everyone understood that we could all go off and do our own thing. With the dive liveaboards we take these days, we go on our own, meet up with a boatload of other people from chuff knows where and go to sea for a week..so we are on our own but not if that makes any sense.
Because it is close confined...you have to get on..but again, you can take yourself off..just not very far! We have been fortunate though and met some lovely people through diving. There have also been one of 2 numpties you would happily throw overboard without a second thought.

For other holidays, I think we prefer to be on our own..that way we please us and us only.
To be honest I am just glad to get away!

I do enjoy the company of people I know especially at night when the kids have company and play together plus it is a better laugh with others. However hanging out in the day everyday slowly becomes Groundhog Day and is not enjoyable at all especially if you have an annoying family member/friend in the group.

I am trying to arrange a holiday for my daughter's birthday with my sister and her family next year. But I made it clear in a nice way that we don't want to be hanging around together everyday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.