Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Hi

I've found some information HERE, HERE and HERE.

Pippy :D
Thankyou for that info, not too sure on this first report, sounds very ........ well not very nice, mafia and all :(

Overall though sounds like a very nice place, like the history and culture of the place, just wondering if it will be too "off the beaten track"?!
Hi there

We got married in Calabria last September and had a fantastic time! It was really Italian, and no English/American tourists (unlike Sorrento where you could not move for them!). The scenery is breathtaking, the weather very warm (as its so far south) and the people amazing. I can really recommend it, and because it is not touristy (yet, anyway) the prices are a great deal cheaper than most other parts of Italy. This extends to accomodation, food and drink (delicious local specialities!).

We stayed in Praia a Mare, a lovely little Italian seaside town with a mountain backdrop. You can visit various charming places along the coast, or drive into the hills and see the most amazing mountain villages, there are also loads of national parks where you can do watersports, horseriding, hiking etc, if you are that way inclined.
Do not pay any attention to the horror stories, we had NO problems, and neither did our guests, it is perfectly civilised, and some parts are quite upmarket. The only place anybody had any kind of crime experience was en route in Naples, which you should be careful of (assuming you plan to fly to Naples?)
You are right though, nobody speaks English, but should we expect them to?? We do not speak Italian, but we took a very useful dictionary and phrasebook and managed perfectly well. Its amazing what you can pick up in just a week, I dont think you will need to learn that much Italian to be honest.
The only problem I foresee for you is that I would say you definately need a car. We drove from Naples to Calabria and there was no problem (although if you cant drive it wont be possible I guess). You can get a train, and its not expensive, but transport in that area is very limited and you will not get to see most of the best stuff without a car. We were strongly advised to hire a car, and to be honest could not have managed without one. Perhaps some parts of Calabria are more well served with transport than others, and somebody else may have a different experience, but that was ours.
I would certainly recommend it though!
Good luck
When we went to Jesolo for our honeymoon in 2000, i decided to get one of those audio tapes and learn a bit of Italian, and that was only 2 or 3 months before i went.

I found out that it made all the difference, and whilst of course you wont learn everything, it will amaze you how much it does help and how you can get by quite well with it.

....plus it's a great language to learn, sounds so good :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.