Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Don't buy your Leva here, just take Sterling and change it in high-street banks in Bulgaria - much better exchange rate. Better still, use Nationwide's Flex account Debit Card to withdraw Leva from ATMs in Bulgaria.

See the currency & exchange rate 'sticky' for more information.

Baldur
get maybe £100 worth of lev in uk to take with you
i would not bother getting anymore lev then that,we just take £s
make sure the notes are in good condition with no writing or tears take £20s 0r £10s.we usually start drawing them from the cash point a week or so before we go if you get any used ones put them back into your account and draw some more out.the wife and me usually take about £6oo pounds and always bring some back.
always change your money at the hotel or a bank or the crown exchange never on the street (i would use either your hotel or a bank) :cheers
there are cash points in sunnybeach and pomorie(where we go) i would imagine there will be in sozopol(you will be charged by your bank) but its nice to know if you need them.
(you will be charged by your bank)

Not if you use Nationwide's Flex a/c Debit Card or Cash Card...... ;)
ok, so there are banks in Sozopol....? Were are staying at santa marina appts....

So take sterling and change there is the best thing... are rates really that different then?
hey baldur
once again your spot on mate
but for us people who dont have a nationwide account we will be charged
roll on july 4th :cheers
yea change your money there :)
but dont forget to get a safety deposit box at your appts :cheers
Thank you - whats with the no tears in the notes thing? do they only like new notes there then?

what sort of differences are there in exchange rates tween here and over there?

(sorry having never done that sort of thing before, its all new to me!!)
your appts look real nice
http://www.picturesofbulgaria.com/hotel/santa_marina_residential_village_469.html
andyes you will get a better rate over there and yes they wont take notes with either writing or tears try asking in your bank for new ones the girls in the bradford and bingley here in stanley are most helpful try and go in on a not busy day tell them your going to bulgaria and they will help :)
Read the sticky thread, as I suggested - it's all in there.

The rate for three Bulgarian banks today are:

Postbank £1=2.1677 Leva
Raiffeisen Bank £1=2.171 Leva
Bulbank £1=2.15 Leva

Compare that with any UK bureau de change, e.g. Post Office online £1=2.0438 Leva.
Thank you both of you, thats really helpful!

now ive just gotta sort out how much to take!
Exchange rates are a bit of a shocker. 2 years ago 2.7 Lev to £1 was about normal, last year 2.4, now its just 2.
Every £100 we change, we're down 70Lev. That buys dinner,drinks and a taxi up the road.

BUT its still good value compared to the Euro countries.
justjoe wrote:
Exchange rates are a bit of a shocker. 2 years ago 2.7 Lev to £1 was about normal, last year 2.4, now its just 2.
Every £100 we change, we're down 70Lev. That buys dinner,drinks and a taxi up the road.

BUT its still good value compared to the Euro countries.

Yep still cheap regards rest of europe .....we have only been going since 2003 & have noticed increase in prices obviously everything must go up in price but you still get Heep's more for your quid in Bulgaria .....plus service with a smile ...a couple of Lev's go long way at the start of your holiday regarding maid service.
hi orient claire me and hubby have been to bulgaria 4 times going again 4th july and we always take £1000 for 2 weeks and its not very often we come back with much but we sure have a good holiday it depends what you want to do are you going on trips buying pressies treating yourself it all mounts up its better to have too much than not enough have a fun time we cant wait :cheers x x
Hi,

I am heading to sunny beach for 2 weeks in late august this year for a girly holiday in the sun :D we are staying in a hotel bed and breakfast. Was wondering how much money I should take?

We want to go to one of the water parks and maybe 1 or 2 other excursions, will be eating out every night and will be partying in the clubs too! :cheers

I was thinking of taking 550 pounds, and my bank card just in case I need more. Will this be enough for 2 weeks in Sunny Beach taking into account what we are going to be doing?

xx
Hi a-paps,

Welcome to the board!

Can't really help on Sunny Beach prices generally, as I never visit the resort these days, but you'll find the prices of (and other information about) two of the waterparks in the following links:

Action Aquapark

Aqua Paradise
Thanks Baldur,

It looks like it will be 30 lev per person for one of them, which is reasonable! Should be fine to take 550 pounds.
xx
Hi,

We have been 3 times in the past year. We drink all day long and eat in restaurants every night and do not spend more than £500 per week. If you go night clubbing then you may need abit more but it is very cheap.

I can recommend Iris Pizza restaurant just down the side of the bus station, excellent food, service and price. It is abit out of the centre but worth the stroll (5 mins)
i changed £200 to lev before i went and got exchange rate of 2.05 lev per pound. In the resort its 2.20 lev per pound.

as a family of four we spend £1200 over two weeks, if we went spend mad i would have recommended around that and maybe a couple of hundred more..
Been going to Sunny Beach for the past 18 yrs and always change our money in Bully. Not this year, we go on 16th July and changed most of what we need for a week at Tesco's 2.19 lev/ pound. Ok we lose a bit against changing it when we arrive, we don't have the Nat West flex account so decided to get all we need before we go, £500 for the week...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.