Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
On the thread about the holiday villiage someone complained that the pool boy asked for a £10 tip for carrying the towels 50 meters.

Why on earth would someone expect nearly a weeks wages for carrying a towel 50 meters?
Because they try it on and because some people are daft enough to pay it (well hopefully not just for carrying a towel 50 meters :yikes ) I read on a rival forum to this that someone at the Sultan Gardens was paying 10 GBP to get a sunbed reserved so that they didn't have to get up before 11am.

People who do things like that make it bad for all the tourists that come after them. :(

Seems to be a Brit thing, didn't see the Russians and Italians doing it, probably why they are all over us. :(
I'm sure alanwall who is a respected member of this forum and has been going to Egypt for many years knows a friend of a friend who is a Surgeon and earns approx 120 GBP a month. This is a good living in Egypt. If I remember correctly in the same post he said the hotels workers get about 1GBP a day.

The cost of living there is extremely low.

HTH Doe
:wave:

so, back to the original of how much is a weeks wages,

so i am guessing then, its about ten pounds a week or 50 a month?

is that egyptian or sterling equivalent?
Typical wages for the hotel staff are about 10LE a day - that's a quid to you and me. They reckon this will roughly double in hotels where tips are shared.
I know a top anaesthetist in Cairo - he gets about the equivalent of £120/month. So overtipping makes hotel jobs good pay - and if the bloke at the airport who chucks your cases onto the transfer bus makes 50p a throw he's rolling in clover!

Remember - in the major tourist centres hotel staff come from the big cities, Cairo, Alexandria etc, to work. They get their pay plus lodgings in the hotel's staff accomodation, but many have a wife and family back home. They still think it's worth it...
No, thats £1 (one british pound) per day. So whenever you tip a guy LE10, you are giving him a days wages!
As Carrot says and I replyed earlier on in the thread its 10 LE a day so a quid to us here. The cost of living there is extremely low there, and they also get their food and board.

Hi Carrot, nice to see you back, hope Nuwebia was great. :wave Not been around much myself lately.
i wish someone would tip me a days wages. plus most waiters get a 12% service charge on everything sold anyway so dont feel like you have to tip everyone. yeh they love the english because we are soft touches, the russians take no c.rap
No, thats £1 (one british pound) per day. So whenever you tip a guy LE10, you are giving him a days wages!

We had no change whatsoever (we were going to the money change in hotel when it opened).

I had 3 x 50 platias notes (1.5 LE), I tried to give it to a barman who brought me an orange drink as I was sunbathing - I didn't ask for it, he just offered hubby & I the two drinks. He told me it was little money only suitable for small children, he handed it back & said a tip is 10LE.

So does he expect to get a days wages everytime he gives someone a soft drink?

If a days wages is really 10LE, then 1.5LE is 15% of a days wages.
If a UK barman got 15% as a tip of his £50 wages - £7.50, would he rufuse it & say it was too little & a proper tip was £50?
£5 odd per hour is the minimum wage so they will earn at least this.

So its got to be £45 upwards per 8 hour day.

Are you saying £50 is too little for a days wages or too much?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.