Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I was on Navigator of the Seas from June 30th to July 5th, out of Barcelona to Cannes (tendered), Livorno and Civitavecchia. Seas were largely smooth, although were moderate on our sea day with swells of up to 9 feet. Apart from a slight discernable gentle movement, the seas had no effect.

We all experienced the "swaying on land" phenmenon for two days or so after docking, but it was never uncomfortable. This was our first cruise, and reading other reviews, it seems the size and age of the ship has a bearing. For instance, I believe Marco Polo experienced rough seas recently, and many passengers were affected.

I suspect the bigger and newer the ship, the less you will feel the movement. Also, we were just on the Western Med, while ships which leave Southampton must negotiate the Bay of Biscay before entering the calmer waters beyond Gibralter, so that too would be a factor.
Hi, I have been told that it is because they don't use the stabilisers to save on fuel. It was like a light swaying feeling all the time and small vibration through the ship but without any noise. Could be felt on tables etc, but not in pool! Was just aware of it all the time.
Well, I know that Navigator OTS did not use stabilisers at all while we were on board because they failed during a transatlantic crossing in April and won't be fixed until dry dock later this year. The fuel saving argument is one I've heard before, but can't say the lack of stabilisers caused us any discomfort.
We sailed on Voyager Of The Seas October 2006 and never felt it moving/swaying but then our captain did use the stabilisers when a litle rough out to sea :wave:
Just got back from the Baltic on NCL Jewel it was like a mill pond the weather was fantastic 75f in St Petersburge. Only on the last day sailing back to Dover did we have cloud and wind but the ship was very smooth. Even so I have just got my land legs back. First time on a cruise and it was great also the weather made it sunshine in every port . :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.